Thread: OOM! :(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: OOM! :(

At your gearlevel I would gem intellect, mp5 and SP. Forget about haste, it's only better at higher gearlevels, and it doesn't help your mana problems at all.

1. Get the Owl JC trinket, it has a useful mana gain use.
    2. For dungeons, I would probably go with LHW glyph over Riptide, simply because pulls don't last long enough for the extra 6 seconds to be that useful, where 20% on your main heal is awesome.
    3. Pick up Talisman (vosts 50 trimph badges) and Tears of the Vanquished (drop from ToC 5 normal). If you get these trinkets, you can skip the JC one.
    4. Right now focus on mp5 and crit pieces, both crit and mp5 gives you mana. Mp5 is more important though. Once your gear improves to full 232 and 245 gear, go for haste pieces. It doesn't really matter if they have haste+mp5 or haste+crit, as long as they have haste. At this gearlever I suggest going for haste gems aswell. Remember tht you can put 10haste 5mp5 gems aswell if you still have some trouble with mana.

Yeah, your mp5 is really low, I would say getting more mp5, about double. Most guides I've seen says you need around 300 - 400 mp5. So shoot for that range. While gearing up you might want to grab a flask of pure mojo so you can have the mp5. Also you might want to drop mining, its bonus doesn't help you at all. Pick up alchemy, it gives you pretty good bonuses, infinite mana pots, and help supports jc.

Get Water Shield Glyph for Heroics.
    Signature size violated forum rules.

Have either of the last posters even played a shaman? That is some of the worst advice I have ever read. I've said it before I will say it again, gear choices do not change at any level for a restoration shaman. Haste>SP>Crit for throughput MP5>Crit>Int for regen. Don't consider the intellet badge trinket ever, my suggestions at low gear for trinkets would be Ephemeral Snowflake> Je'tze's Bell > Egg of Mortal Essence > Tears of the Vanquished, switching Egg and tears only if you still have extreme mana problems.

The biggest problem you will have with mana is learning to manage it, not gearing for it.

I don't believe this has been mentioned yet but when I first started playing my resto sham I kept making sure every single person was a absolute full health, just like I would've done on my druid where mana regen isn't much of an issue at any gear level, but one thing you wanna remember is that if someone is at only at about 90% and they aren't taking damage you don't need to cast anything on them, especially if you have healing stream down. Until you get a nice large mana pool and more regen, which you'll just get from better gear, don't worry about keeping everyone at full if you don't have to. Also, if there's a lot of aoe damage going on make sure your using chain heal if your targets are within range of each other, one chain heal will be a lot more efficient than 4 lesser healing waves and a riptide or 2.

Sig and Avi by Isilrien <3 Priest~Hunter~Druid~Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Zulandia
    Have either of the last posters even played a shaman? That is some of the worst advice I have ever read. I've said it before I will say it again, gear choices do not change at any level for a restoration shaman. Haste>SP>Crit for throughput MP5>Crit>Int for regen. Don't consider the intellet badge trinket ever, my suggestions at low gear for trinkets would be Ephemeral Snowflake> Je'tze's Bell > Egg of Mortal Essence > Tears of the Vanquished, switching Egg and tears only if you still have extreme mana problems.

The biggest problem you will have with mana is learning to manage it, not gearing for it.
    So much bad info. Dont call people out then give crap advise in return. The TotV trinket is VERY GOOD at your gear levels, especially if mana is an issue, the proc is very decent. Haste, while may be the best stat for throughput isnt really something you stack until your over 20k mana UNBUFFED, which he is not. Understand that for his level of content, wether you want to believe it or not, stats arent balanced therefore you cant automatically gem as if your in "End Game" content. You have alot of wasted stats right now with all the hit items you have, and i understand they were upgrades so thats ok, just change them ASAP. Your using the wrong JC trinket, and Forge ember isnt great. Missing alot of enchants so your SP is low causing you to have to heal more than you should right now, causing some of your mana problems. I personally would drop the points in Elemental weapons and pick up Healing Way. Other than that, its really just getting gear upgrades and proper gems/enchants from there.

I'm having mana issues, and you're telling me NOT to get things that will help mana, but to get more throughput when I don't need more throughput, right now. What the hell? Kinettik is right, don't call out people for "worst advice" and then give shitty advice, yourself.

The intellect trinkets are NOT bad. Whoever told you they were bad is very likely one of those warriors who gems spellpen and intellect.

Also the fact that you're saying "gear choices to not change at any level" is horribly wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

What I said is 100% right, the order of stats for throughput and the order of stats for regen almost never changes, the only thing that changes is whether you gear for more throughput or more regen and I said nothing to the contrary.

The intellect badge trinket is and always will be terrible, if you insist on using an int trinket use tears.

You can easily heal heroics in level 70 greens and heirlooms, and you can easily oom in them wearing 277's. The problem is learning to manage mana not your gear.

To somewhat show how terrible the intellect badge trinket is for shamans.

128 Intellect is equal to about 64 mp5, 23 sp, 42 crit rating. The on use works out to an average of 100sp.

The toc5 reg trinket.

The proc gives roughly 50 mp5, The intellect gives about 46.2 mp5, 15sp, 28 crit rating.

So choose 64mp5 over 96.2, with a negligible change to sp and crit is definitely a good choice.

Also I clearly only said to never consider the badge intellect trinket and that you could use the toc one only if you had mana problems.

Riiiiight...I'm just gonna ignore you, then, mmkay?

Anyways, got another 219 and a 232 staff (Although, once more, it has hit rating on it but it's massively better than what I had. Lost 50 crit, gained ~150 SP and 90 Haste). I'm trying to get the ToC trinket and mainhand from H PoS, but neither of them will drop.
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm

What I said is 100% right, the order of stats for throughput and the order of stats for regen almost never changes, the only thing that changes is whether you gear for more throughput or more regen and I said nothing to the contrary.

The intellect badge trinket is and always will be terrible, if you insist on using an int trinket use tears.

You can easily heal heroics in level 70 greens and heirlooms, and you can easily oom in them wearing 277's. The problem is learning to manage mana not your gear.

Not really...

In most heroics, if I just stood there spamming myself trying to go OOM the rest of the group would have probably killed the first boss before I ran dry.

This whole "Shamans don't need regen" thing is a total misconception. Shamans, like all healers, need regen. The entire "stack haste/crit/SP gear over haste/SP/mp5 gear" thing is based on having two regen trinkets. Dual solace = a lot of regen, about 270 something IIRC. It's also based on mana regen buffs in raids, like replenish, BoW, innervate, mana tide, etc. So trying to turn that around and apply it to someone doing 5 mans with entry level gear is retarded.

Yeah, that's correct. I finally got the freakin' ToC trinket and the JC Owl trinket, and got into H FoS. With a Ret giving replenishment, I only had to drink twice the entire instance, compared to having to drink every couple of pulls. I had 25k mana with Kings. Never used Mana Tide, either, and only used the Use effect on the Owl once. Replenishment + Kings = Uber mana.

Still, you don't just gem straight throughput at entry level 5man. That's just stupid.

I don't honestly see any reason not to gem intellect at your level of gear. Your problem right now is mana, and your trinkets are not helping you, so the intellect trinket is a good idea. The advice given from others is mostly from well geared shamans healing hard modes. Most will have good regen trinkets of a high item level that can support their mana, allowing them to get their haste caps.

I went through this phase not so long ago, I started off with sp/intellect, intellect gems then as I got gradually better geared and picked up some decent items with some mp5, and got the trinket from Marrowgar then the EoF trinket, I replaced all my intellect gems for haste. It worked out well for me.

At the moment with your gear you need to focus on what you need, it is only at higher gear levels when you are supported with some decent stats and the buffs that you need, when you can start to min/max more and think about haste/sp/crit. At the moment that's not what you need, you just need a long enough blue line under your health bar.

There's only 1 problem I see going on here, your gear level.

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything but you should just focus on gearing up. I'm sure when shamans we're healing heroics back when naxx was endgame they were going oom every other pull also. You should at least have some tier gear by now, how many heroics have you even done? You should have done enough heroics to have better badge gear by now to be making statements like "constantly having to drink when running dungeons"

If you really did heal heroic forge of souls, which honestly can have some pretty tough pulls for the healer if the group doesn't handle them right, then you are doing something right. Gems aren't going to be big enough of a difference to make or break you. The fact that your SP is is so low is probably the biggest problem, Mp/5 should never be a concern because of how crit works with imp water shield. People telling you to stack haste are pretty much wrong, shamans in ICC stack haste because of how slow chain heal is. You almost never get the full benefit on your main target chain heal because other healers are getting to them first. In heroics this simply just doesn't matter, pre-cast heals and cancel them if they aren't needed.

I think you may of just had a bad luck run of horrible tanks. Most heroics I go through, earth shield and riptide keep the tank alive through the whole dungeon. Badly geared tanks = more dmg = more heals, bad tanks = less threat = dps pulling aggro = more heals.

Don't give up, healing has the chance of being the toughest thing to play in the game. The better the players are the easier healing is going to be, bad players can turn dungeons like Heroic Violet Hold into a nightmare. Honestly you should be proud that you healed H Forge in that gear. I can't tell you how many dps I've seen die on the trash pulls because of how vicious the aoe damage can be. Just be glad you can't queue for halls of reflection yet.

Edit: I can't believe your asking this for this sort of advice when your main is a half 277 geared healer.

Deleted

oO
    Since the 3.2(or was it 3.3?) shaman mana buffs, you shouldnt get that fast oom.
    As far I know, and I havent played since 3.1, you should get around 275 mp5 while casting. That is even do-able with lvl 200 gear.

I actually just worked through the stages of "omg no freaking mana" this past week. The only thing I would tell you to do is get them heroics done. Once you get half badge geared it doesn't really matter anymore as long as you heal intelligently. The T9.232 has enough stats to get you through ToC10.

Helm- Fine.
    Neck is acceptable but go for either of the necks in H FoS.
    Shoulders I'd get tier.
    Chest- buy the 245 if you can, if not tier.
    Wrist I'd get the 245 crafted again, if not then idk.
    Hands- I'd go tier again.
    Belt- the 226 conquest belt.
    Legs- H PoS or Tier are both rather good.
    Feet- H PoS from Krick/Ick.
    Ring 1- get the 245 from badges.
    Ring 2 is just about as good as youll want to try unless you care for H HoR...
    Trinket1- Keep usingTotV unless you have somebody with Replenish then use the 245 badge trinket.
    Trinket2- I use Nervermelting mainly because once you reach the above items you won't really need the MP5 anymore.
    Weapon- Either the ToC10 or H PoS daggers. Either one is pretty much equal depending on if you want crit [slightly more MP5] or haste [slightly more throughput].
    Offhand- either run Normal PoS for the shield or H HoR for the shriveled heart. Heart has no MP5 and no enchant but more throughput stats. PoS shield gains you a bit more Mana and nearly as much SP.
    Totem- Perfect IMO.

Your glyphs are fine IMO.

My Armory- http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...amar&cn=Kaydra

From one of your posts I thought you said you were dropping healing stream? This may be one of the reasons you're going OOM. That's, what, 109MP5 you're not gaining. Also just to say, if you're dropping all your totems on every pull, don't. They're just heroics. Drop mana spring and wait it out, the 4 seconds the dps take to kill thing because they have 400 less AP or 144 less SP doesn't matter [not meaning bosses].

EDIT: Only real thing I was stating here was burn through heroics. Once you get the 232 gear you won't be going OOM unless you're an idiot, which it doesn't sound like you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Taotaisei
    From one of your posts I thought you said you were dropping healing stream?
    Er...No? Healing stream totem is...shit. It ticks for like 300.

Quote Originally Posted by M4d2m0A
    Edit: I can't believe your asking this for this sort of advice when your main is a half 277 geared healer.
    Shaman =/= Priest

As a few others have said I had a similar experience with my Shaman after she hit 80.
    I suffered from an OOMage problem healing normals then in to heroics. To be honest i think you just have to grin and bare it for the time being but it does just go away in time, nothing specific, just gearing up is the cure.
    >:7

Full Bloggage: - http://nuronv.wordpress.com
    Micro Blogs: - http://twitter.com/nuron_v

You can pretty much heal Heroics just by using Riptide and LHW, you shouldn't be having Mana Problems at all, unless you're OVERHEALING in which case you'll see yourself going Oom. I was able to heal Naxx 25 and others with full Sunwell gear against people who had t7 and I was still ontop and not oom, you just need to know when to use what skills and when not to, you can use a HW on someone who is at 30% and get them to full by using less mana than casting chainheal several times into a crowd when only one needs a real heal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nangz
    GoD isn't so great for unholy
    Quote Originally Posted by HoX
    i dont understamd ???

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Vook
    That stuff doesn't give faster mana. It gives double the mana in double the amount of time, so it's the same as any other 75+ drink.
    hehe maybe so. tbh I really don't drink...never have to with my mp5 when not casting. Although I do remember early on having to drink a lot, and with Shaman, forget it. I was sitting every pull.

Pearroc restoration guide shortly discuss minimum gear levels, at which it becomes viable to use standard "haste-above-all" gemming approach. In short, ilvl232 badge gear is good enough to support haste gemming in all appropriate content.

Replenishment plays important role in shaman ability to maintain his/her mana pool. The intellect is key stat to maximize mana gains from replenishment, although, most of it comes naturally via gear--you should not gem INT past and including ilvl232 anymore.
    INT trinkets are solid choice when you are in process of gearing up--more so there is very little choice before you get to the big boys of resto trinkets-Solace of the Fallen/Defeated or Purified Lunar Dust. Rule of a thumb is to get rid of extra INT, either in form of trinkets or gems, when you are finishing raid encounters with more than 30% mana. It would also be advisable to do this step by step to avoid huge jumps, which would make you go OOM right off 50% in previous gear setup.
    My observation is that for standard raid setup and role, raid/spot healing in 10 or 25, you want to have around 25k mana unbuffed.

Healing style is also important when it comes to mana conservation and most effective way of healing. While CH is the trademark heal of shaman, you should not rely on it at early gear levels or in 5-man. It is either too slow and weak or it does not hit enough targets. Dont get me wrong, CH is the way to go for raiding shaman but it is definitely not the only spell shaman should use. I dread those times on my prot pala where random shaman is healing with use of CH and ES only--few times there were literally just 2 lines when I checked recount at the end of instance.