Thread: Proximity?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Proximity?

I was doing ICC on my mage when i started thinking...

Does proximity(to the boss/mob) affect ones dps?
    This really only applies to ranged.

for example:

Mage gains Missile barrage.
    Mage is 15yrds away from X mob.

Mage2 gains Missile barrage
    Mage2 is at melee range of X mob

Would it make sense to believe Mage2's spells would come in contact earlier than Mage1's spells, thus resulting in greater dps?
    Or does it have something to do with the spell effect?

Example2:

EleShaman casts Lightning bolt
    EleShaman is 25yrds away from X mob

EleShaman2 casts Lightning bolt
    EleShaman2 is in melee range from X mob

Again, whose DPS is higher assuming no procs/buffs and they have the EXACT same gear/gems/chants

This gave me a couple ideas for Cataclysm, but i want to make sure.

~Thanks in return.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synwyn View Post
    My first raiding guild, way back in Vanilla WoW - Kaywarrior was our DPS warrior. After a billion Nef kills, Ashkandi finally dropped. He jerked off on vent. Literally jerked off while keyed in. Best moment ever.
    Indeed.

Re: Proximity?

It will only make a difference if mage1's missile barrage hits the target after it dies.

As long as you both cast the same amount of spells in the same amount of time with nothing being wasted. Theoretically, the one in melee would have (a mediocre) advantage, because you're both casting at the same RATE.

Cast time is the only thing that can influence how fast you damage the mob.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpace
    As long as you both cast the same amount of spells in the same amount of time with nothing being wasted. Theoretically, the one in melee would have (a mediocre) advantage, because you're both casting at the same RATE.
    It's an illusory advantage.
    Watch any 2 identical casters, even place one in melee range and one far back.
    If both casters cast their spells at the same time, they will both hit the boss at exactly the same time. There's no correlation between distance and speed of damage.
    L2P or GTFO
    - Gear isn't free, earn it
    - I also have opinions regarding this game, you're not special
    - LFG Heroics.

Ok but assuming they have they EXACT same cast time ect.
    the one closer would do (a mediocre) more amount of dps?
    My first raiding guild, way back in Vanilla WoW - Kaywarrior was our DPS warrior. After a billion Nef kills, Ashkandi finally dropped. He jerked off on vent. Literally jerked off while keyed in. Best moment ever.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alienganja
    Cast time is the only thing that can influence how fast you damage the mob.

It's an illusory advantage.
    Watch any 2 identical casters, even place one in melee range and one far back.
    If both casters cast their spells at the same time, they will both hit the boss at exactly the same time. There's no correlation between distance and speed of damage.
    Is it really just an illusion? Because as a hunter, when I use kill shot, if I'm very close to the mob, I seem to have a much higher chance of actually getting it off than if I'm at max range. This is talking about trash, where it dies quickly, but could apply to a boss at 0.1%, where it doesn't really matter anyways. Either way, it's an interesting question.

My crits always show up in my scrolling combat text, so I tend to notice the killshots, and it seems much rarer to see one actually hit the mob before it dies when I'm far away.

There is missile speed, but it's only going to matter for the last hit. So #2 is going to hit their last spell (Depending on specs, stuff like lava burst is instant I believe) while #1 is going to be able to start casting sooner since they don't have to run up.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

It wouldn't make any sense, that a ranged dps or any dps for that matter would do more damage based on distance.

First of all, we as a community would have figured this out a very very long time ago. Secondly, this would mean that spells would depreciate at a set value based on distance.

It would be "too mathy" and optimal dps would be based on set spots on boss locations, which could give unfair advantages or result in stale and uninteresting positioning and tactics.
    L2P or GTFO
    - Gear isn't free, earn it
    - I also have opinions regarding this game, you're not special
    - LFG Heroics.

I've wondered the same for a while..

15+ Year Old Account

How can it possibly make any difference?

Let's say, for this example, a boss has 30k health.

Let's say an elemental shaman fires three Lightning bolts from 20 yards away, each taking 1 second to cast, each doing 5k damage. Let's say it takes 1 second for the first one to actually hit the boss. This means the boss will be hit for 5k after 2, 3 and 4 seconds - total 15k damage.

Now say there is an identical shaman at melee range doing the same thing and his first LB takes 0 seconds to hit the boss - boss takes damage after 1, 2 and 3 seconds, total 15k

The boss is dead, having taken 30k damage.

1st shaman did 15k damage in 4 seconds.

2nd shaman did 15k damage in 4 seconds i.e. both done identical dps - yes he will have fired off one extra LB but the boss is dead so it doesn't do any damage.

Obviously this is a highly simplified case but it illustrates the point.

bosses aren't target dummies

a ranged ele on festergut will do less damage than a melee ele (damage done, not dps [which actually matters lol go figure])

due to boss mechanics

this applies to all bosses

all of them

sooooooooooooooo

new topic, proximity mines in goldeneye; cheap or awesome?

The damage done by certain spells does have a "flight time", I guess you could say. It's not the majority, but there are a number. Flight time meaning that when the damage hits is different. However, that wouldn't effect any dps, unless it's at the very end of a fight and one spell isn't hitting. The time is usually identical to the graphic time, and it is never very significant. Regardless of that, you can cast another spell while one is travelling, so a player in melee won't have a casting advantage, just their spells will seem to do damage earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by waddlez
    bosses aren't target dummies

a ranged ele on festergut will do less damage than a melee ele (damage done, not dps [which actually matters lol go figure])

due to boss mechanics

this applies to all bosses

all of them

sooooooooooooooo

new topic, proximity mines in goldeneye; cheap or awesome?
    derp derp, obviously.

But i'm talking in general. does proximity affect dps
    next topic; to troll or not to troll?
    Indeed.

This should be interesting, but you have to take in consideration boss mechanics. For example you don't want to have your group glued to festergut's feet, if it's true about the dps increase

Quote Originally Posted by Nöx
    This should be interesting, but you have to take in consideration boss mechanics. For example you don't want to have your group glued to festergut's feet, if it's true about the dps increase
    exactly but im just speaking in general for now.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorGuides
    exactly but im just speaking in general for now.
    why don't you go to a training dummy and test it then instead of saying "NO I DON'T WANT ANSWERS, I WANT MORE POSTS"

Quote Originally Posted by waddlez
    why don't you go to a training dummy and test it then instead of saying "NO I DON'T WANT ANSWERS, I WANT MORE POSTS"
    how am i doing that? i dont have 2 accounts with 2 identical characters.
    Indeed.

lolwhat

step 1. run a few timed lols at the dummy in melee
    step 2. run a few timed lols at the dummy at 35 yards
    step 3. compare

speaking of range...
    they should introduce hit to healers.
    the closer you are to your target the less hit you need.
    i.e.
    0 yards = 0% hit needed.
    40 yards = 14% hit needed.

not saying give heals a chance to miss, but reduce the healing done, equal to 1 or 2 times the miss chance you got
    make it more interesting and also giving the healer positioning and movement more complexity.