Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Death Knight Threat - Frost DPS

So with 3.3.3 Frost DPS has become pretty much amazing. However, with all of that amazing DPS, there is a problem. Last night I was in ICC 10, and for fights like Saurfang, Festergut, Rotface, and Blood Princes I was sitting at 90%+ threat for the entire fight. Both tanks (Warrior/Paladin) have around 5800 GS, but I can't seem to manage my threat (or they suck, who knows). In the Rotface encounter, I was sitting at ~40% threat. After 2 Obliterate crits and 3 KM Frost Strikes I had pulled threat and nearly died. Death Knights only have one way to reduce threat, via speccing.
    It seems to me that Death Knight threat is a pretty big problem for me. I often sit still, auto-attacking, for 30+ seconds waiting for my threat to drop. Does anybody else have this problem?

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Death Knight Threat - Frost DPS

Get better tanks, or ask for hand of salvation. Or spec 1/2/3 points into Subversion.

With 1/3 Subversion, I don't have this problem (though, my DPS gear is pretty old, but still).

Whenever I ask for Hand of Salvation most pallies are like..."Whut?"

Put a point in subversion or spec unholy, frost can have higher potential dps but that's meaningless when you're threat capping.

90% is safe and all is good, I frequently sat @ 109% threat on those fights on 10 man until I respecced 1 point in subversion for both my frost and unholy specc

edit. Btw u dont pull agro in melee range before u reach 110% of the tanks threat

Quote Originally Posted by Çryo85
    Whenever I ask for Hand of Salvation most pallies are like..."Whut?"

Theres your problem, get better pallies.

I just tell tanks to hit buttons harder and beg for salvs, i normally wait 5 seconds on pull (depending on tank) then go ape shit. its fun to push out over 9000 tps while dpsing! makes sure u have good tanks

I hear ya man. Me and my Pally MT are both at a 6k gear score and I ride his ass on threat for quite a few fights even with having 1 point in Subversion. He was just joking the other night that my frost spec has higher threat than my blood tank spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

With just 1 point in Subversion you shouldn't be able to pull aggro. Sure, you will make lots and lots of sweet threat but if the tank isn't more than 50% retarded, you should be fine.
    Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. Quack.

10+ Year Old Account

I have the same problem in ICC pugs, VoAs or weeklys. Dont bother respeccing because 2/3 BCB isnt worth the 1 point in subversion. Just need to find some better tanks.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Çryo85
    Does anybody else have this problem?
    yes. i have 1 point in subversion but for those fights i am very high on threat and with bad tanks i usually die before i even notice my threat got that high.
    its a problem to counter how good the dps is coming from frost dks.

Get better tanks. My MT doesn't even have a 264 and he still holds aggro off of me. Our 3 tanks are Warrior / Pally / Pally.

I do pull off the pally after about 30 seconds, if he doesn't have Righteous Fury up. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Roxix
    Get better tanks. My MT doesn't even have a 264 and he still holds aggro off of me. Our 3 tanks are Warrior / Pally / Pally.

I do pull off the pally after about 30 seconds, if he doesn't have Righteous Fury up. :/
    If it takes u 30 seconds to pull off a pally without RF I know a few hunter pets that can rock your world for threat

I have a point in Subversion and I'm gemmed full armor pen (sitting at 100% ArP, no food or pot), and if I go balls deep on Saurfang 5 seconds into the fight, I'll be tanking him at about 10 seconds in. This weekend's 10man went something kind of like...

Tank1: ok, I've got it..
    Tank1: "Famine, WTF? Did you death grip or something?"
    Famine: "uhh, can someone bubble me or something?"

It's not a huge issue in 25mans, we we typically have one of the rogues trixing the tank, and an MD. 10s are a little more group restrictive and space limited. I'm half tempted to drop a point off of BcB and go with a second point in Subversion and see if that gives me some breathing room in 10mans.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaka
    I have a point in Subversion and I'm gemmed full armor pen (sitting at 100% ArP, no food or pot), and if I go balls deep on Saurfang 5 seconds into the fight, I'll be tanking him at about 10 seconds in. This weekend's 10man went something kind of like...

Tank1: ok, I've got it..
    Tank1: "Famine, WTF? Did you death grip or something?"
    Famine: "uhh, can someone bubble me or something?"

It's not a huge issue in 25mans, we we typically have one of the rogues trixing the tank, and an MD. 10s are a little more group restrictive and space limited. I'm half tempted to drop a point off of BcB and go with a second point in Subversion and see if that gives me some breathing room in 10mans.
    how are you at 100% arp is my question..
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbleguy
    Hi, my druid is currently lvl 75 and i'm going for resto at lvl 80, so my question is, what is the most used resto healing rotation?.

pretty simple, really. ArP gear and gems.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...rand&cn=Famine

15+ Year Old Account

If you are able to pull off Festergut your tanks should really get some tweaking done.
    With the damagebuff tanks receive no DPS should be able to pull off them after half a minute into the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Maes
    If it takes u 30 seconds to pull off a pally without RF I know a few hunter pets that can rock your world for threat
    I've got 1/3 Subversion, and he gets 4 misdirects and 2 tricks. It takes some time

Tanks should be MD and T&T as often as possible, thus threat should never be a problem in 25man. Its easy to macro.

Paladins should be ready to salv anyone riding high on the threat table.

If your raid is unable to do this, theres a skill I remember from tbc. It goes along the lines of "stop hitting the boss a bit". Death is a greater dmg done decrease than pausing your rotation.
    -- When you start having to take this tip, your aggro reduction talent becomes a good dps increase.

If you out gear+skill the tank, it is better to watch your threat meter than rage at the tanks, who obviously need the gear.

(Am I right in thinking that Cataclysm will make threat an issue for everyone again?)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

Stop asking for TotT and you won't have problems with your threat. I cannot imagine that tanks are not able to hold aggro (I do not have that problem and never had it before - I am on the top of dps-meters in my guild though without subversion)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    The sim is correct, it isn't generally well known but war token really is a six thousand dps increase over deaths choice.