Thread: Active Time

Active Time

So, I'm seeking a little advice regarding active time. I'm currently obtaining around 70-80% active time on average against ICC-25 bosses, which as you can easily tell is far too low. Would you be able to give me some advice on how I can improve it?

My rotation is a standard Arcane rotation, although I have got into the habit of using Arcane Barrage after the Missile Barrage, so I'm aware I need to stop doing this so that I'm not waiting for the global cooldown every rotation (but I'm sure that this can't be the only contributing factor to a low active time). Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Active Time

What Active Time? What tells your active time and how is it calculated?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

Quote Originally Posted by Astray
    What Active Time? What tells your active time and how is it calculated?
    What he means is the time he is casting spells doing dps for the fight, which is in World of Logs, used to calculate dps(e).

Firstly if you are arcane, you should use a macro for arcane blast which doesnt let u clip your missiles so u basically just press that button during missiles and i will cast it after your last missile causing downtime as low possible.

Ping also accounts for a lot of the "active time", if you have high ping, then reduce it if possible by using registry fix or fasterping or something like that.

Also try to move as little as possible, i.e for fights like princes, try and get in a position where you can hit all 3 bosses, so you dont need to move much.

I'm using information from World of Logs. It's calculated by measuring the total time you spend either casting or doing another form of damage (such as a DoT or a pet's damage) against the total time in the encounter.

its one of the things that come with experience - you can improve yourself only by raiding. you could look up some top guilds videos to see who goes where to get an idea of positioning, but nothing much beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyhsk
    What he means is the time he is casting spells doing dps for the fight, which is in World of Logs, used to calculate dps(e).

Firstly if you are arcane, you should use a macro for arcane blast which doesnt let u clip your missiles so u basically just press that button during missiles and i will cast it after your last missile causing downtime as low possible.

Ping also accounts for a lot of the "active time", if you have high ping, then reduce it if possible by using registry fix or fasterping or something like that.

Also try to move as little as possible, i.e for fights like princes, try and get in a position where you can hit all 3 bosses, so you dont need to move much.
    nonchanneling macro is bad for the reason that it will cast your next arcane blast after lag, so you lose dps.

If you find yourself not casting : start casting, and hit yourself.
    Mannoroth-US
    Deedalee - 85 Fire Mage
    All of my alts are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Laadeeda
    If you find yourself not casting : start casting, and hit yourself.
    Strangely enough, do this.

As noted above, it's a practice thing on each fight. Knowing where to stand, being ready to click the new target while casting on the original target still, using instant cast abilities as you are moving, etc.

In general though, I would caution you about chasing the last bit of active time. If you get too tunnel visioned, you're gonna get hit by stuff you shouldn't. It's fun to compete on meters, but remember, if the bosses are dying, you're probably doing an OK job.

Quote Originally Posted by GGled
    Would you be able to give me some advice on how I can improve it?
    yes! cast more often, move less. it's easy as this. plan your positioning carefully. use arcane barrage / fire blast when you _have_ to move.