Make the switch to Prot now or in Cataclysm?

Currently, I'm Ret, have 4pc T10 and a Brynntroll (normal). I've been considering switching to Prot, but since we're in the doldrums before the expansion hits, I'm wondering if it'd be better for me to just stay Ret, maybe work on getting a Shadow's Edge and fill out my gear more, or make the jump into 25-man tanking. My tank set currently gives me about 37k health unbuffed, almost all triumph badge gear and some pre-ICC raid drops.

Any advice on if it's really worth making the switch at this point in time? I'm not currently in a raiding guild, but can usually find pugs that can clear up to LK on 10-man and Putricide on 25.

Any advice to help me make the best decision would be greatly appreciated.

Deleted

Re: Make the switch to Prot now or in Cataclysm?

If you want to get used to tanking, you can never have enough experience. Many fight mechanics are re-used, so getting used to some of the ones in ICC may be a good idea.

If you have no specific reason to stay ret, such as a raiding guild (which you stated you have not), then do whatever the hell you like. If you feel like tanking then do it.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm just curious, as you didn't mention a dual-spec. If you don't have one, get it! Keep your ret spec, and start tanking!
    The goblin warrior, Gallywix!
    "And the Heavens shall tremble!"

My name is Kenneth044, and I'm an altoholic!

probably be best to learn now and get gear to support you through the leveling process in Cataclysm...

finding icc groups for a tank is very easy. mine as well start tanking now if you plan on going tank at 85.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

First off, do what you enjoy the most.

If you feel like learning to tank, it's a good time to do it. The LFG system has made it incredibly easy for tanks to just chain queue for heroics. Get a respectable tanking set and start doing that, get the hang of your tanking spells, taunting stray adds, keeping divine plea active, popping cooldowns and so on. It's good to be comfortable in your spec, while at least doing the easy stuff. You don't want to get thrown straight into a raid after having specced prot for the very first time and panic. The next time you're in a raid as ret, pay attention to what the tanks are doing. When they're taunting, where they're standing, when they're popping their cooldowns so you're not completely clueless when the time comes to raid as prot.

It's always good (and sometimes expected) for a hybrid to be able to use at least one offspec effectively. Tanking is probably the easier of the two potential offspecs and the most familiar to swap to after playing ret, in my opinion.

why exactly are you getting a shadows edge for ret? it has armor pen. and if you aren't clearing a decent number of hardmodes every week your never getting that shadowmorne.

just grab a heroic bryntroll. (if you havn't killed LK yet you will eventually with the stacking buff)

Quote Originally Posted by patrin
    why exactly are you getting a shadows edge for ret? it has armor pen. and if you aren't clearing a decent number of hardmodes every week your never getting that shadowmorne.

just grab a heroic bryntroll. (if you havn't killed LK yet you will eventually with the stacking buff)
    You are off topic. Nothing wrong with him getting Shadow's Edge if he's not running heroic and he has the gold to burn.

To OP: Try to get a lot of tanking done and see if you like it. I was prot in BC, now I'm ret. I might consider going back to prot if I will play next expansion.

We don't know how high gear will go from 80 to 85. 80 Gear might be useless.

..Then again 70 epics not being as good as 80 Blues didn't stop people from using them... Tanks getting one shot, Healers not being able to keep up DPS from AOE damage, DPS not being able to out DPS a tank... I remember those days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Jeah the days i run Naxx 10 the first time and replaced my S3 Gloves cause nothing dropped till then for me
    When i remember i was wearing almost complete S2 gear xD

But with the inflation of stamina could the leveling gear be on par with our current tanking gear as long as our gear dont get the stam boost, too.

Delivering Justice Since 2008 - retired since April 2011

10+ Year Old Account

If you want to try prot, you could get dual specs if you haven't already. If you have it, and want to mainspec as tank, I don't see why you couldn't give it a try, even if just to get 2 frost every day 'till Clysm hits. Get as much gear as you can from badges (frost and triumph) and ToTC10/25.

Also, if your on a server that uses Gs as much as mine does, lie your way in/start the raid yourself. I did the former more than I can remember, but never the latter. If you do start your own raid, dont ask for Gs higher than your own. Alternatively, you could get friends to make the raid.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

A lot of things will be changing in Cataclysm, but the general skills you'll pick up about tanking will still be useful. Learning the tanking basics now in dungeons you're familiar with is going to be the best idea. There's nothing worse than having a tank that doesn't have a clue what they're doing in a dungeon that's totally new.