Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Computer will not turn on!!!

I need some quick help. About two weeks ago my computer would not turn on... AT ALL. When I pressed the power button the little blue light by the button would flash on for a second then turn off and thats all that would happen, so essentially I assumed I was getting no power. I took everything out, resat everything just to make sure that everything was connected where it needed to be connected and I tried to start it yet again.... Same thing happened. Then I considered maybe something has gone wrong with my power cord so I tested another power cord with the power supply and it still didnt work. So i came to the conclusion that it must be the power supply! So later I decided to order a new power supply. And I got it today. I connected the power supply and it did the exact same thing that the other power supply did. What else could this be? The motherboard?
    BTW this is an Acer x1700 Desktop. If anyone could help me with this I would be eternally grateful!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectro
    And what the mods are trying to say is not that every music is full of unicorns and sparkles and flying chewbaccas... they are trying to tell you that no matter what someone listens to you should respect their tastes
    Quote Originally Posted by Naux
    you're retarded...seriously I don't even think you're trolling it's that bad.

Re: Computer will not turn on!!!

If you replaced the psu and it isnt that, its probably the mobo, although not necessarly, do you get any noise from hdd, dvd, fans, something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Enola
    If you replaced the psu and it isnt that, its probably the mobo, although not necessarly, do you get any noise from hdd, dvd, fans, something like that?
    The only thing I'm getting when I press the power button is a blue light close to the button flashes on for a brief second then goes out and the internal fan starts slightly then stops immediately, it hardly moves. There are no beeps or anything. Thanks for the response and any help you can give, ahead of time.
    And what the mods are trying to say is not that every music is full of unicorns and sparkles and flying chewbaccas... they are trying to tell you that no matter what someone listens to you should respect their tastes

The screws that hold the motherboard to the tray are making good contact with the board right?
    Do a clear cmos btw.

I just checked the screws and they are all good, and I just cleared the cmos (hadnt thought of that yet) but sadly still no results. Its looking like its gonna be the mobo.... but I'm kinda in denial about that because this is the second computer that I've had the mobo die in within the first 1-2yrs ive had it. And I've had a desktop that still runs (though its slow) since 1999 and it has never had anything like this. Grrrr. its frustrating.

If there are any other things you can think of to try, I'm willing to listen and try them.

My exprience with Acer was only with notebooks... not a good one to be honest.
    If you have a pc that you can switch parts with try switching components 1 by 1, and ram try 1 module at a time.
    Can be something shortcuting, so try to minimize the number of components you have conected to a bare minimal, and pay attention to the conections.
    After you turn it on (well fail to turn it on, but ligh on), can you repeat it right after or you dont get anything at all?
    Well being a acer outside of guarentee dont have much hope though.

When I get the little light to cut on it only does it right after i plug it back in. Then if I wait a few minutes i can press the button again and the light will flick on for a second again. But no i cannot get it to do it every time i press it. And sadly I dont have any pc available to switch out components because the other pc I have right now is a Compaq with windows 2000 on it. And also the laptop im on right now. And cant switch the parts of my laptop out with this.

Yea.... I havent had good experience with acer myself. Ive had this PC about a year this past Feb. I ordered it online, and the first one i got literally died the night I got it while I was playing WoW.... Then I had to ship that one back to Acer and have them send a replacement... and as you see... it really didnt last that long..

Try unplugging everything from the mobo, including graphics card, RAM sticks and case fans but not CPU+fan. If it stays on, one of the things you unplugged is broken. If it still turns off after second, mobo or CPU is fried. Or both.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account

Guys guys. It's an _Acer_ desktop. Haven't you had any of those before?

Change the motherboard battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries
    Guys guys. It's an _Acer_ desktop. Haven't you had any of those before?

Change the motherboard battery.
    Acer's motherboards do that when battery is out? Never seen any other behavior except being unable to save (some) BIOS settings. In recent motherboards only clock requires the battery to run, and even BIOS settings are in flash. Besides, the batteries are supposed to last some 4-5 years so there's no reason to expect it being out.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah
    Acer's motherboards do that when battery is out? Never seen any other behavior except being unable to save (some) BIOS settings. In recent motherboards only clock requires the battery to run, and even BIOS settings are in flash. Besides, the batteries are supposed to last some 4-5 years so there's no reason to expect it being out.
    Yup. Acer. Many of them stop working completely when the mobo battery runs out, and they aren't exactly sticking in fresh well built batteries to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Physcosis of Bleeding Hollow
    When I get the little light to cut on it only does it right after i plug it back in. Then if I wait a few minutes i can press the button again and the light will flick on for a second again. But no i cannot get it to do it every time i press it. And sadly I dont have any pc available to switch out components because the other pc I have right now is a Compaq with windows 2000 on it. And also the laptop im on right now. And cant switch the parts of my laptop out with this.

Yea.... I havent had good experience with acer myself. Ive had this PC about a year this past Feb. I ordered it online, and the first one i got literally died the night I got it while I was playing WoW.... Then I had to ship that one back to Acer and have them send a replacement... and as you see... it really didnt last that long..

You have a shortcut there somewere, you are not able to turning it on imediatly after because thats the psu protection system kicking in.

Try unplugging everything from the mobo, including graphics card, RAM sticks and case fans but not CPU+fan. If it stays on, one of the things you unplugged is broken. If it still turns off after second, mobo or CPU is fried. Or both.
    I've tried this already, multiple times. No results sadly.
    Yup. Acer. Many of them stop working completely when the mobo battery runs out, and they aren't exactly sticking in fresh well built batteries to begin with.
    wooowww haha now that i know this I dont plan on getting an acer as my next computer. I mean dont get me wrong, its an awesome computer when it actually WORKS.

Quote Originally Posted by Enola

You have a shortcut there somewere, you are not able to turning it on imediatly after because thats the psu protection system kicking in.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by i have a 'shortcut' somewhere. Can you explain that a little?

And thanks again everyone for your input!

My english sometimes falls a bit too short, I think i meant to say short circuit, although if that isnt the correct term some one pleaze correct me.
    Whant i meant is when you have a straight conection bitween the + and -, "short circuit", the psu trigers a protection system that wont allow you to turn it on for some time(its bypassable). Now this happens because for some reason you something in short circuit inside your pc, the problem is finding what, in some cases it can be a easy fix, many times it isnt though.

oh ok. ya short circuit is right. I've heard of this happening before, but honestly I have no idea how to go about checking if this is it.

Do you think that this is more likely to be the case than the mobo battery?

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Physcosis of Bleeding Hollow
    oh ok. ya short circuit is right. I've heard of this happening before, but honestly I have no idea how to go about checking if this is it.

Do you think that this is more likely to be the case than the mobo battery?

If it's a short circuit, you're screwed and pc is deadz. If it's the battery, it's solved by changing it. Pick out some battery from another computer in the house and test it (hopefully the same type of battery as it normally is). Doesn't hurt to try.

If it's a short circuit, you're screwed and pc is deadz.
    Not necessarily... I managed to short my PSU once by plugging floppy power cable upside down (it's pretty much the only connector besides some fan cables you can plug wrong way). End result was *pop* from the PSU and it wouldn't start for an hour... I tried it later again and it worked just fine, floppy drive too.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account

Not necessarily... I managed to short my PSU once by plugging floppy power cable upside down (it's pretty much the only connector besides some fan cables you can plug wrong way). End result was *pop* from the PSU and it wouldn't start for an hour... I tried it later again and it worked just fine, floppy drive too.
    This relates to the OP's problem in so many ways. : I was referring to his potential surge in particular and not your miracle. Sorry for the smirky remark but I'm a mean person. Grats on the working PC though.

His potential surge isn't gonna fix itself by waiting another hour ;o

His potential surge isn't gonna fix itself by waiting another hour ;o
    No, but since he's unplugged and replugged everything several times, it would clear problems like the one I had. That was the moral of the story. It's very unlikely anything is shorted there now, unless there's some screw loose, potentially under the motherboard or something...

Trolling should be.

Indeed, btw you could have bypassed the protection by unpluging the powercable from the wal, the main swich on the powersupply should do the same. First time it happened to me I was overclocking a old pc trough jumpers, I disassemble the power supply thinking it would be the fuse inside of it that was burn, it was fine I assembled it tryed it again and was working ok, then noticed that cutting the power to the psu was enough to disarm the protection.
    Aniway the problem realy is finding weres the short circuit, it can be something realy small, a fan, some bit of metal touching something it shouldnt be touching, sometimes a bad ram module does it, thermal grease is also conductive, something on the board fryed, etc can be hard to pinpoint, the process to finding is isolating component by component, I dont remember exactly what happens if you try to boot the pc with just the mobo conected to the psu, but try it, if the fans continue spining maybe it isnt the board, I cant guarentee that they should spin even with a good mobo, but maybe its worth a try.
    The batery thing, well at this point try it, doesnt harm.