Prot Paladin Weapons issue. Which do I use?

So I recently replaced my Lucky Old Sun with Falric's Wrist-Chopper http://www.wowhead.com/item=50290. Same run, Black Iciclehttp://www.wowhead.com/item=50303 also dropped. A fellow Paladin friend of mine was telling me that Black icicle was better. Now, this puzzled me, as it didn't seem like a tank weapon. At all. My friend insisted that it was what he used, and it is better because you'll hold threat better with it. While this makes sense to be on one hand, on the other, I don't think it's for me. I mean, looking at my armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...la&cn=Ironstag) you'll see that I don't have the best gear (GS still under 5k, and I still have a blue ring).

So at this stage which do I use? Is my friend right? It seems to me that his argument only works if I had better gear and couldn't really use the def and other tank stats. Am I right?

Re: Prot Paladin Weapons issue. Which do I use?

It's good for a threat weapon but you should never have a problem with threat, stick with tank 1 handers.

Deleted

Minimal difference, since hammer of the righteous is only based on weapon dps (they are the same).

You'll get an extra piece of seal damage from the few instant attacks you use.

In the end, you won't notice a thing.

Like one of the previous posters stated one is a threat wep and one is a tank wep. They are situational...judging by ur armory (not insulting you what so ever) I'm assuming your mostly running heroics at the moment, which you over gear. So use the threat weapon, if your worried about survivability in a raid then switch back to your tank weapon.

Defense weapon for raid, slow dps weapon for heroics

15+ Year Old Account

slower weapons have the only advantage in thread in the seal of corruption damage. the extra damage per swing once you have 5 stacks of the dot is based on the weapon damage, not on the dps. but that's all. in all other cases, the faster, dedicated tank weapon will be better.

Tank weapon for survivability, slow (important) DPS 1h for threat. With a high damage slow 1h, Reckoning, and Seal of Command you can put out an absolutely obscene amount of threat and a nice amount of DPS. Great for heroics or trash clears.

Try it out when you get the opportunity, you will definitely notice a difference.

It is with seal of command that slow dps weapons really shine becuase of the way the seal has a much larger weapon damage coefficient than vengeance does.

As a protection paladin it matters very little what weapon you equip, since, except for one, all your attacks are based on you attack/spellpower, and Hammer of the Righteous is based on weapon dps. If Blizzard allowed for protection paladins to use two-handed weapons with HotR, a 200 dps weapon with 3.80 attackspeed would do the same damage as a 200 dps weapon with 1.60 attackspeed.

Your friend is right though, equipping a dps weapon over a tank wepon WILL make you do more threat, but that's only because you get an extra 10 attackpower and 0.1% crit. You might do an additional whooping 2 TPS.

If I put on my Thunderfury for kicks and giggles, I can still pull over 10k TPS in 10 mans, that's how dependant protection paladins are on their weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindvahn
    Your friend is right though, equipping a dps weapon over a tank wepon WILL make you do more threat, but that's only because you get an extra 10 attackpower and 0.1% crit. You might do an additional whooping 2 TPS.
    You sir forget that the seals used for tanking have a coefficient in them for weapon damage and that being pure holy damage, make up a sizeable portion of threat.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...wtopic#p537785

Even with SoV, slow weapons do a considerable amount more threat. Notice how a slow level 213 out-threats some of the fast 245 weapons.

Nothing can shake my believe that this world is the fruit of a dark god whose shadow I extend -- Emil Cioran