BIOS showing only 8 out of 12 gig! Need help!

New MB (Asus P6X57D Premium), new CPU (Intel i7 930) and three new 4gig RAM sticks (Patriot G-Series DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800) installed. Memory seated properly. BIOS flashed to latest. Set to XMP in BIOS. Returned memory for new set of three and still only getting BIOS to show 8 gig. Anyone have any suggestions? : (

Re: BIOS showing only 8 out of 12 gig! Need help!

Windows Home Basic?

Quote Originally Posted by Enola
    Windows Home Basic?
    I'm talking about the initial count the BIOS reads before it loads anything. But as a separate subject question - Windows 7 Home Premium only supports 8 gig, right?

30 seconds of googling turned out the following bits from some random tech forum

Along with this motherboard ans approved Corsair 3x2G memory, no matter what slots I use it only shows 4 Gigs of memory with Win7 64 bit.
    Their are similar problems all over the Asus forums. It makes me nervous about buying this board. Have you had any other problems with it?
    Hi, yes I did! It had nothing to do with the bios, the problem only occures with large heavy CPU coolers that have its back plate fit over the motherboards back plate. four nylon and/or rubber washers on the posts coming thru the motherboard solved the problem.
    So... Short circuit on the back of the motherboard caused by CPU heatsink's backplate is the best guess.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

So, exchange the MB for a new one and then carefully place the CPU and it's heatsink back on? ???

The forum post indicates somebody just added (plastic) washers between the metal backplate and motherboard and it worked fine after that when the metal plate was no longer shorting anything.

You could start by looking at the board if that seems to be the cause, and what you can do about it. Probably nothing is broken permaenently. Yet.

edit:

Assuming the forum posts I found are correct, it basically means that motherboard is not compatible with certain types of CPU heatsinks because of design flaw and there isn't enough room for the metal back brace without short-circuiting the RAM. What you can do is get different kind of heatsink and pray, different mobo completely or DIY insulation to work around the problem. Usually short circuits like this will not cause permanent damage, but there's no guarantees.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah
    I'm talking about the initial count the BIOS reads before it loads anything. But as a separate subject question - Windows 7 Home Premium only supports 8 gig, right?
    ..Crap im falling a sleep, didnt even noticed the word bios in the topic.
    7 Home Premium its 16GB
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

Its probably like vesseblah said some incompatibility bitween mobo and ram, there are know problems specialy bitween some asus boards and some ram manufacturers.

Looks like my memory isn't supported by the MB, per the support page on memory for my board. Time to run to Fry's and exchange it.

Got the right memory this time - still only showing up as 8gig and not 12gig. Anyone have any suggestions? :-\

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah
    The forum post indicates somebody just added (plastic) washers between the metal backplate and motherboard and it worked fine after that when the metal plate was no longer shorting anything.

You could start by looking at the board if that seems to be the cause, and what you can do about it. Probably nothing is broken permaenently. Yet.

edit:

Assuming the forum posts I found are correct, it basically means that motherboard is not compatible with certain types of CPU heatsinks because of design flaw and there isn't enough room for the metal back brace without short-circuiting the RAM. What you can do is get different kind of heatsink and pray, different mobo completely or DIY insulation to work around the problem. Usually short circuits like this will not cause permanent damage, but there's no guarantees.
    This post and his one before it answers your question. Read them. Also why do you need so much ram?

Perhaps your motherboard doesn't support more than 8GB of memory.

I did not read all the posts so you may of said your motherboard does support 12, but to be sure just check what your motherboard is and see if it can support 12GB.
    http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww163/Jaqerainey/raineynezmoth1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey
    Perhaps your motherboard doesn't support more than 8GB of memory.

I did not read all the posts so you may of said your motherboard does support 12, but to be sure just check what your motherboard is and see if it can support 12GB.
    Mobo supports 24gig. I called Intel and apparently none of their processors support 1600MHz RAM speed - only as high as 1066MHz. The Tech Support guy said that the CPU has downgraded and adjusted the speed of the memory to work with the CPU for a sacrifice of 4gig of memory.

In short, I'm running RAM too fast for any Intel CPUs to support. And Intel won't be coming out with anything to support that RAM speed til "maybe" next year. Anyone know of a good CPU that will support 1.65V 1600Mhz DDR3 12gig Kingston RAM?

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh
    This post and his one before it answers your question. Read them. Also why do you need so much ram?
    I figured if my Mobo supports 24gig w/6 slots - why buy 3 sticks of anything less than 12gig when eventually I'm going to need to upgrade to more? Just thinking ahead and saving myself money on re-purchasing RAM. Plus, I'm set for RAM for a good while.

I don't see how using faster RAM than the mobo supports will cause this type of problem though. If that is the cause, then you should be able to just downclock the RAM (in the BIOS) to speeds which the mobo supports.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Mobo supports 24gig. I called Intel and apparently none of their processors support 1600MHz RAM speed - only as high as 1066MHz. The Tech Support guy said that the CPU has downgraded and adjusted the speed of the memory to work with the CPU for a sacrifice of 4gig of memory.

In short, I'm running RAM too fast for any Intel CPUs to support. And Intel won't be coming out with anything to support that RAM speed til "maybe" next year. Anyone know of a good CPU that will support 1.65V 1600Mhz DDR3 12gig Kingston RAM?
    Sorry but your "tech supprt" guy has used the famous Stetson/Sleeve/Rectum method to come by his answers and/or totally misunderstood your problem. Just think for a minute how ASUS web page of your motherboard boasts it supports up to 2000MHz RAM for overclockers and how 1600MHz sticks are the current standard for DDR3...
    Trolling should be.

Very honestly I think thats bollocks, you cant even see the ram in bios.
    I would go more with either what vesselbah said or a defective mobo.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah
    Sorry but your "tech supprt" guy has used the famous Stetson/Sleeve/Rectum method to come by his answers and/or totally misunderstood your problem. Just think for a minute how ASUS web page of your motherboard boasts it supports up to 2000MHz RAM for overclockers and how 1600MHz sticks are the current standard for DDR3...
    Yeah, it sounded fishy that my Mobo supports mainly 1600MHz RAM, yet Intel CPUs don't "support" higher than 1033MHz. Would I be correct in thinking that 1033 is the standard speed and 1600 is for overclocking? Or shall I just proceed to get my mobo replaced then my CPU is that doesn't solve?

Try the rubber washer before you RMA the motherboard, might cost less than a buck to fix the issue.

Yeah, it sounded fishy that my Mobo supports mainly 1600MHz RAM, yet Intel CPUs don't "support" higher than 1033MHz. Would I be correct in thinking that 1033 is the standard speed and 1600 is for overclocking? Or shall I just proceed to get my mobo replaced then my CPU is that doesn't solve?
    It's pretty obvious that the "Tech support" guy has no clue at all. 1033Mhz isn't even a stock speed for anything.

As others have said, try the washer fix. If that fails, and you got all the components from the same place, take it all back and get them to look at it. Just don't let them charge you for anything.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

I figured if my Mobo supports 24gig w/6 slots - why buy 3 sticks of anything less than 12gig when eventually I'm going to need to upgrade to more? Just thinking ahead and saving myself money on re-purchasing RAM. Plus, I'm set for RAM for a good while. Smiley

Intel supports 1600mhz. What do you need 24 gigs of ram for? Do you do anything besides gaming on this machine?