Router reccomendations

Hello all,

I will be switching my ISP in the near future and I'm looking to upgrade my router. Currently I'm using the free one provided by AOL, which is...well not the best.

Price isn't an issue, obviously not something ridiculously expensive but fairly high end. If anyone could suggest an adapter that'd be great too.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Router reccomendations

Belkin N+ - super fast.

I'm not going to suggest a router, but I will tell you this.

If you are moving ISP, normally your new ISP will give you a new router and to be fair. They are normally decent enough.
    Use that one and save yourself some money and splash out on your wife or girlfriend

Seems the better way!
    http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww163/Jaqerainey/raineynezmoth1.jpg

It depends entirely on the needs of your home network. Wireless? Print Server? USB Storage Link? Heavy data transfer between computers on the network? etc etc

You won't go wrong with a current model Linksys, in general.

Pretty much all ISP's give some kind of router for you in the starting package. There's no need to buy your own unless you need something extra special or you're buying extra special net connection where you have to supply the hardware.

Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by khalpone

You won't go wrong with a current model Linksys, in general.

Pretty much. I've had the best experience with their products. Their only downside is that if you ever make a tech support call, you will have to talk to some guy in India, to whom you will have to spell your name about 100 times before moving on to the next step.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Cant say the samething, the wrt54g that i and many other ppl have had a bit of problems and theyr support on it was crap.

Quote Originally Posted by nwo
    Pretty much. I've had the best experience with their products. Their only downside is that if you ever make a tech support call, you will have to talk to some guy in India, to whom you will have to spell your name about 100 times before moving on to the next step.
    LOL, I've actually had first hand experience with this.
    Makes me
    http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww163/Jaqerainey/raineynezmoth1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Enola
    Cant say the samething, the wrt54g that i and many other ppl have had a bit of problems and theyr support on it was crap.
    I have this same one and was absolutely pissed all the time with it, biggest problem was instability with more than one computer connected to the netowrk. They finally released updated bios for it that has solved the problem and actually signigicantly lowered my ping time. If it shipped with the new version of the bios i would reccomend it, but that isn't the case. I would love to get a belkin N+ type router but money is a little tight and I can't justify it when I already paid $120 for this piece of crap.

But meh, at least it works finally.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Enola
    I had the same model. It worked great for about 2 years, then it needed rebooted daily.

[edit: At least I think my old one was a wrt54g. My current is a wrt54gs2.]

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    I had the same model. It worked great for about 2 years, then it needed rebooted daily.

[edit: At least I think my old one was a wrt54g. My current is a wrt54gs2.]
    I still have my, at moment is working fine, at start it was a dam pain in the ass, to make it better in hold home I had it in a place not very easily reachable, this days it sits right in front of me so when it fails its easy and fast to fix.
    In top of that I have the V7 that if you go to support center doesnt exist..., after some research learned that they were using a brand of chipset on the previous version switched on the V7 and then switched back in the V8, meaning I have 0 firmware updates even outside ones, makes me smile every time :|.
    Has a side note if anyone buy one of this be sure to dont buy the V7.