Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    That was TLDR
    It'd better not been. You could have learned something.

what if the conveyor belt caused the air speed above it to increase due to air resistance? :O lol

ok, the reason that the plane would not take off is because it's wings are staying in the same spot. do you feel any wind blowing when you run on a treadmill? The wind is the cause of the lift and if the wings are not catching any gusts the plane will just sit there, well technically roll there, but it amounts to the same thing... no lift.
    Shiny shiny epics. NO NO, look with your eyes, not with your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurytos View Post
    A few things, #1 it is impossible to answer yes to the Monkey typing the complete works of Shakespeare given an infinite amount of time. Random is random, that doesn't mean that over an infinite amount of time every possible scenario would be covered. The monkey could just as easily press the same button over and over for infinity, thus I would say no. But I can't say that either, since that is also an assumption. I would make far fewer and more believable assumptions to prove my "No" answer than you would have to make to prove a "Yes." But as I initially said, it's not possible to know whether a monkey typing randomly on a keyboard for eternity would indeed make the works of Shakespeare.
    Actually it is a mathematical fact that they would. You're underestimating infinity. If something has a 1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance of occurring then if you tried 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times then odds are it would occur. If you tried an infinite amount of times then it has an infinite chance of occurring. The chances that monkeys would produce the works of Shakespeare if they typed for the life of the universe are very slim. But infinity guarantees that every possible outcome will occur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurytos View Post
    On to the main point. Planes fly because lift is created from the air around them, not the speed of the ground beneath them. Air travels faster over the airfoil, or wing, than it does underneath, therefore creating lift. Speed of the ground is irrelevant. Argument over. There is nothing else to even talk about. When air travels faster over the wing than under the wing you will get lift. Get the right amount of upward force for your object, and it will fly, regardless of what type of foundation it is resting on top of.
    Exactly, and this is the lesson that the riddle teaches us. The reason most people disagree is because they picture the belt having a limited speed which would allow the plane to simply go faster than the belt and gain forward momentum /air speed and achieve lift. I was showing that this is wrong because they are assuming that a part of the puzzle which is assumed to perform a given task fails to perform that task.

---------- Post added 2010-07-02 at 04:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    That was TLDR, but if a plane is put on a conveyor belt, nothing will change. The plane will still move forward and take off because the propellers use the air to pull the plane, the wheels on the conveyor belt are irrelevent. If they put the plane in a wind tunnel large enough, then yes, the plane could take off and stay in place assuming the wind is strong enough.

100 MPH wind going S and plane facing N with propellers doing 100MPH will have the plane "hover" on that spot.
    I explained exactly why you are wrong but you couldn't be bothered to read it in the first place so please dont bother responding.