Jewelcrafting actually worth it?

I've started leveling Jewelcrafting recently, and Im still only in the 100s (At 140 I think) and it seems like a fair expensive profession to level since a lot of what you need to make in order to gain a skill level requires a lot of materials.

I'm wondering if it will truly be worth all the trouble by the time I get it to 450. I have been thinking about picking up Inscription instead since Glyphs seem to sell for quite a bit on my realm.

Re: Jewelcrafting actually worth it?

i spent about 4500gold to level jc to 450 and i spent about 1k gold to level inscription(i had herbalism).
    with inscription you may earn more money BUT it will take you about 2 months to learn all glyphs through research(you should do research every day if u forget this will slow u down),pay gold for books of glyph mastery cause the good glyphs are learnt by books(most of them) and finally camp AH with addons,and check it every a couple of hours.
    With jc you will spent a lot of gold if u dont have mining you need 4 days to buy an epic recipe but u can start we 2 epic gems that sell a lot for example armor pen and strength farm heroics for emblems and bg for honor buy uncut gems cut them and sell them on AH.
    I have both proffessions on two different characters if i need gold i use jc easy 100g per gem and i have only bought 5 recipes for epic gems(stamina,agility,strength,intelect,haste since those stats willnot removed in cata).
    at my signal unlease hell

Re: Jewelcrafting actually worth it?

@Demonicfrost

Gems will be switched out with new stats on still existing gems
    Backstab!<=Q(^_^)===Q>==>(X_x)Q
    Pro at stunnlocking clothies to death since 2005.

http://www.youtube.com/user/badde09

I have both Jewelcrafting and inscription on my Warlock, and, without a single doubt, the 5K I spent on leveling jewelcrafting has easily paid for itself several times over in a only a few weeks, where as the 1k I paid to level inscription (I too have a herbalist) is still yet to.

I'd say Jewelcrafting is the hardest but also the most profitable profession over time.

I like to prospect cheap thorium ore for gems.
    They sell pretty nice on the Auction House.

Quote Originally Posted by t0mat03 View Post
    I've started leveling Jewelcrafting recently, and Im still only in the 100s (At 140 I think) and it seems like a fair expensive profession to level since a lot of what you need to make in order to gain a skill level requires a lot of materials.

I'm wondering if it will truly be worth all the trouble by the time I get it to 450. I have been thinking about picking up Inscription instead since Glyphs seem to sell for quite a bit on my realm.
    I have two JC's and the profit margin has dropped substantially over the course of WotLK. If your goal is to make money, especially with Cataclysm on the horizon, Inscription might be a better bet as JC is very popular among min-maxers (see next point.)

If your goal is to min-max though, JC is one of the best professions for most if not all classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally leveled jc to save myself money on gems... I'd rather spend a few thousand honor or 100g max and cut the gem myself over hundreds of gold for a gem already cut.. I'm working on getting more cuts to make money off of it, but I'm content with saving myself money on gems none the less

JC is the most expensive prof to level, yep even more than bs and eng, even though it becomes ezmode at 300 due to being able to cut gems finally. On the contrary, its the prof you can make the most money with at max level. Worth it, for sure...not to mention the gem bonus make it the best profession for every class spec and role in the game pretty much.

I was in the exact same position as u.
    JC is the most expensive proff to level up, yes.
    But what is also is, is the best money making proff, so u should level it up for sure.
    I make about 1-2k gold each day with cutting gems for 10 minutes, and putting them on the AH.

Quote Originally Posted by Themessiah View Post
    I have both Jewelcrafting and inscription on my Warlock, and, without a single doubt, the 5K I spent on leveling jewelcrafting has easily paid for itself several times over in a only a few weeks, where as the 1k I paid to level inscription (I too have a herbalist) is still yet to.
    *blinks* Sell nobles? Although, he makes a good point. JC is more gold/hour.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've lvled JC to about 400 with my DK, did one daily with it, and then ditched it for herb :P

But basicly it isn't that hard to lvl, or that expensive.
    Get a miner alt, or you have one already, grind MANY ores (takes time but meh), prospect them (most of the time), and make whatever is needed out of them.

Plus, look for guides. There are some pretty nice ones out there, that also keep an eye out on whats the least expensive.

Ow, and you can pretty much get rich with all the professions, so make your choice
    What? Why? When? Who? Which? How? Wait...
    Havoc Demon Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Monolith of Mazes View Post
    Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnn! The thick plottens.

Lots of gold, nice gem stats, worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it is worth it. First thing it is easy gold.Buy cheap gems, try to get someone who sells all their gems to you for a nice price or advertise in trade that you are buying gems. They may earn less when selling to you but it is instant gold... The cut these to the most profitable gem there is atm and sell. Try to do daily everyday and buy the most popular/most expensive gem recipies. In addition try to buy in weekends where raw materials are cheap because people have time to farm, and sell after raids because people want to sleep and arent bothered to find a JC to cut gems. This will increase your profit further.
    The second thing with Jewelcrafting is that it is the BiS professions for most classes and speccs, if not all. The extra intelect for holy pallys, stamina for tanks, sp for mages etc. it is a very good profession.

For me it have been a good profession, when you manage to cut the correct gems for the situation, buy uncut gems for good prices etc. you will earn easy money in addition to save alot because you can cut gems yourself. And the extra stats on gems doesn't hurt either;D

Legendary gems are worth it ... (the 51 stam and that stuff, got no idea what to call it)

I love the prof it is very profitable. That was how I got the money for epic flight and the cost to pay for the cycle.

Deleted
    I think it's worth it. Making money with inscription is a lot of work, I have a priest with inscription and a paladin with JC. For the inscription you have to make a lot of scrolls, keep an eye on the market and who else is keeping them, and list a lot of items - often having to relist multiple times on my server. It's a lot of items at a small price so if you don't like sitting at the AH then it might take more time. JC gems on my server are 100% guaranteed to sell, and go for a higher profit margin per gem, than per scroll (I can make 50-60g profit on a single gem, some scrolls only 2-3g profit). So overall I would say that JC takes less time and less effort.

I get the base gems by PvP on my main for honor, but you can also do dungeons and switch both stone keepers shards and emblems of triumph for gems, you can use an alchemist to transmute or a miner to farm titanium so lots of options if you don't want to farm, JC can still be very profitable. I like to PvP and then make shitloads of money from that, but for the inscriptor I either have to farm herbs or buy them on the AH.

You will also get your 3 JC unique gem slots which is a good stat bonus for raiding. I'd stick with JC.

JC is the single most diverse profession in the game. It allows you the most freedom in choice of bonus you receive through your profession.