Page 1 of 2
LastLast

priest healing in catac

blizzard says they are trying to stay away from homogenization of all the class's but the more i hear about what they want to do in catac the more i think that is exactly what they are doing.... for example

Leap of Faith (level 85): Pull a party or raid member to your location. Leap of Faith (or "Life Grip") is intended to give priests a tool to help rescue fellow players who have pulled aggro, are being focused on in PvP, or just can't seem to get out of the fire in time. Instant. 30-yard range. 45-second cooldown.

sounds just like a death grip but for friendly targets.

Inner Will (level 83): Increases movement speed by 12% and reduces the mana cost of instant-cast spells by 10%. This buff will be exclusive with Inner Fire, meaning you can't have both up at once. Inner Fire provides a spell power and Armor buff; Inner Will should be useful on a more situational basis.

sounds like mage armor.

Heal (available at level 16): While priests already have a spell called Heal, the existing version becomes obsolete at higher levels, which is something we intend to change in Cataclysm. Introduced at a low level, the "new" Heal spell will functionally work much like a down-ranked Greater Heal did in the past, adding more granularity to your direct-healing arsenal. If you need to heal someone a moderate amount and efficiency is an issue (making Flash Heal the incorrect spell for the job), then Heal is what you want to use. Heal is intended to be the priest's go-to direct-healing spell unless they need something bigger (Greater Heal) or faster (Flash Heal). We will be following a similar philosophy with all the healing classes.

well. this isn't to bad of a choice. but disc is the only healer that relies on absorbs. making them a great choice to have in your raid. taking absorb away from them will be like making druids use non hots.
    you say that you don't want to make all the class's feel the same but that seems to me like that is all is happening

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: priest healing in catac

Quote Originally Posted by Caminar

well. this isn't to bad of a choice. but disc is the only healer that relies on absorbs. making them a great choice to have in your raid. taking absorb away from them will be like making druids use non hots.
    you say that you don't want to make all the class's feel the same but that seems to me like that is all is happening
    where do they say they remove absorbs? you obviously didnt even bother to look at the class interviews.

trolling?
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBlade
    Every new dps trinket in the game should be itemised exactly and perfectly for you and also be an upgrade over your current trinkets.
    If this doesn't happen, the game is broken beyond horrific terrible belief and is not worth playing.
    http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/...scale/nysalia/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/225579/

Negative post is negative.

Life Grip doesn't grab your friends to pull them out of harm's way. It tugs a single enemy (unless it's a boss, then it's just a taunt). They both may interact with a character in the game world in nearly the same way, but the purpose for it is quite different.

Inner Will being compared to Mage Armor? I'm not seeing the connection. Mage Armor doesn't give you a run speed bonus, the last I checked. It gives you regen and Spell Resistance. Giving you a choice in which armor spell is better than saying "just keep up Inner Fire for its X spell power".

Heal coming back is quite basic, because they want efficiency to matter. Heal is the medium one, whereas Flash is supposed to be the fast expensive one. That's not just Discipline, that's everyone. That's not homogenization, when each class/spec is going to have different ways of interacting and using those spells (think like Serendipity, for example) now that the forefront is going to be on them. I wouldn't really be negative about that, when we haven't even seen early phase of this being implemented.

Finally, they are making Druids use non-HoTs. Nourish is not a HoT. Healing Touch is not a HoT. Swiftmend uses a HoT, but it's not one in and of itself. Blizzard is trying to shift the role of Druid from Rejuv spamming a raid to effectively managing Lifebloom, Rejuv, Regrowth, Nourish, HT, SW, with Living Seed as a nice bonus, and tossing in Wild Growth (maybe even a Tranq).

Discipline, on the other hand, still has people thinking the only thing they should do is absorb, which isn't Blizzard's direction. Hell, it's their game, you just pay to play it. They want you to focus between both heals, and absorbs, instead of just spam Power Word: Shield. Divine Aegis is not going anywhere. You're getting Power Word: Barrier, and there's look of a new "big" shield that you can possibly use on tanks, instead of little shields you'd be tossing on raids. They just don't want "absorbing" to be the only thing Discipline is doing. What it's good at? But not the only thing.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Inner Will (level 83): Increases movement speed by 12% and reduces the mana cost of instant-cast spells by 10%. This buff will be exclusive with Inner Fire, meaning you can't have both up at once. Inner Fire provides a spell power and Armor buff; Inner Will should be useful on a more situational basis.

sounds like mage armor.

Sounds nothing like mage armor... I still don't see how this is going to be useful though. It seems very situational for a new core ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Hell, it's their game, you just pay to play it.
    ^That^

They don't force you to play healer, they dont force you to raid, they dont force you to play. Your the one playing your the one paying. If you don't like the changes find a different game.

I kinda like what they are doing. Well to a small degree. I think they should keep everyone doing a different type of heal.
    Disc-Absorb. Small heals but 2x the absorbs.
    Holy-Caster raid healer (not renew)
    Resto Druid-Hots. Maybe give them different hots that do different things? one that ticks fast for tank heals. One that ticks slow for raid. Or on spell cast adds a hot?
    Holy pally-Big tank heals
    Resto shammy- Support. Chain heal spam.

all they want is to give people all the tools they need to play the new game and make sure there is room for everything

Leap of faith: I get tired when a new type of game, movie,story, whatever comes out. because when people get inspired by the new thing and take their own stance on it, its a "copy."Deathgrip was a new mechanic, and the only one in the game. Hell i think it would be awesome for a class or boss to get some sort of mass deathgrip.

Its no different than knockbacks. Leap of faith is a spell using the same mechanic for an entirely different purpose. Its no more "homoginizing" than Typhoon and thunderstorm is. the only thing they have in common is the knockback. might as well say "I hear in WotLK they are giving Druids a knockback. they are so ripping off the telekinesis spell from Dungeons and dragons 3.5"
    ------------
    Inner will is just an ability that priests can do to drecrease the mana cost of instant casts (which by definition are usually suppose to be more expensive) and increase run speed. I.E. its a spell so priests can gain some utility in PvP and fights involving alot of movement.

They are not combining every healing class
    They are making sure everyone has a quick expensive heal, Larger more mana efficient heal, and a normal heal. Its exactly how the game was played before downranking ended.
    With absorption and Hots they just want their healers to have to think. which is why they are increasing stamina and making better spells less efficient mana wise
    Sure our shields and hots will be healing/preventing the same amount. but like...when a tanks life is inching downward, when you dont have to heal a dps a second after they take half their life in dmg cus they will die otherwise, you can stop and think about the most efficient way to heal them

Druids are just throwing wild growth and rejuvs everywhere, ignoreing most of their spells. If aoe dmg is coming Disc priests throw their shield son everyone. Mana isnt an issue for almost anyone, and if healers dont spam their best spells people start dying.

In the future Rejuve and regrowth will have time to tick to full cus dps wont have as much chance of death. Healers will have certian heal spells for certian situations. Lifebloom will actually have the mechanic to be a tank heal. Disc priests will shield people taking dmg, but their is no imminent chance of death so they can wait and actually heal people, rather than just throwing a shield on anyone and everyone the moment weakened soul comes down.

blizz knows what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcishpride2010
    blizz knows what they are doing.
    No they don't, though they often know better than the average forum poster. Blizzard didn't intend to make Disc priests OP in Ulduar, or Paladins OP in ToC/ICC. They didn't want shaman to be dreadful in ulduar, or holy priests in late naxx. All these things happened though.

Blizz clearly have issues when it comes to healers, it's reasonable for us not to blindly trust them.

Negative post is negative.

Life Grip doesn't grab your friends to pull them out of harm's way. It tugs a single enemy (unless it's a boss, then it's just a taunt). They both may interact with a character in the game world in nearly the same way, but the purpose for it is quite different.
    What?

The disc tank shield sounds like a mother to balance for pvp.
    Im thinking it could be -25% damage until x damage absorbed or something along those lines. Still sounds like a ridiculously overpowered spell.

Group shield also seems vastly OP compared to todays bosses. Barrier a group and infest is a non issue. Must have a large cast time and longer CD than PW:S

Flash/Heal/Greater, depending on haste and talenting, Gheal could be more or less obsolete unless your tank healing, though it depends on x healed and new player healthpools.

Flash- 10k
    Heal - 20k
    Gheal - 40k

Bearing in mind evidence points to tanks having upwards of 100k health, and everyon else being in the 50-60's
    Lag - Network related. High server response time, stop downloading.
    Low FPS - Your computer can't keep up with the game - buy a better one

Dalaran doesn't lag (often) your pc just sucks.

RIP Paul Gray

blizzard says they are trying to stay away from homogenization of all the class's but the more i hear about what they want to do in catac the more i think that is exactly what they are doing.... for example
    Homogenization is the evloution of diverse things into more similar things. Yes, Blizzard is going to do this in some ways to promote 'bring the class' in cata so that pallies aren't continuing in their pigeonholed tank healer role with low raid-healer utility, holy priests in their raid healer with low tank-healing utility, etc. Your example don't really demonstrate homogenization of function, though:

RE: Leap of Faith being like DeathGrip -- yes, it's a similar mechanic but of completely opposite application. No other class can accomplish what this can in a raid.
    RE: Inner Will being like Mage Armor -- how? They're completely different aside from both having a mana longevity mechanic.
    RE: Absorbs -- they aren't going anywhere. Disc is still unique in their approach.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Leap of Faith (level 85): Pull a party or raid member to your location. Leap of Faith (or "Life Grip") is intended to give priests a tool to help rescue fellow players who have pulled aggro, are being focused on in PvP, or just can't seem to get out of the fire in time. Instant. 30-yard range. 45-second cooldown.

sounds just like a death grip but for friendly targets.
    Similar mechanic, but since it's for a completely different purpose, I don't see how it's homogenization at all; no other class has the ability to bring another player to them. It fits very well with the direction that they've started taking Priests for a while now, where rather than saving someone by just sheer HPS, we help them avoid taking the damage in the first place. Tank CDs (Pain Suppression and Guardian Spirit) and Body and Soul; this will just be another tool that will help add to our utility niche. Besides, I can think of tons of uses for it even in current encounters like Val'kyrs on LK, slimes on Putricide, etc.

sounds like mage armor.
    Like others said, I don't see how it's like mage armor at all. Besides, it's something that is sorely needed. We've had the outdated charge mechanic on Inner Fire for so long because there has to be some kind of interaction involved, like making sure we refresh it if we run out of charges. Instead, we'll now have a choice between throughput and armor or efficiency and mobility. It makes it interesting decision rather than just making sure we're not out of charges. Besides, it's just part of being a clothy, that we replace part of our lack of armor with some sort of magical barrier instead. And, beyond that, what other healing class will have those sorts of choices to fine tune their performance like that on the fly? It fits well with the new general concept of the Priest in being able to adjust to the situation on the fly.

Heal (available at level 16): While priests already have a spell called Heal, the existing version becomes obsolete at higher levels, which is something we intend to change in Cataclysm. Introduced at a low level, the "new" Heal spell will functionally work much like a down-ranked Greater Heal did in the past, adding more granularity to your direct-healing arsenal. If you need to heal someone a moderate amount and efficiency is an issue (making Flash Heal the incorrect spell for the job), then Heal is what you want to use. Heal is intended to be the priest's go-to direct-healing spell unless they need something bigger (Greater Heal) or faster (Flash Heal). We will be following a similar philosophy with all the healing classes.

This is some homogenization, but it's sort of necessary. Right now, both flavors of Priest are abysmal at single target healing (though, granted, Disc isn't as bad as Holy). And really, it's no more homogenization than saying OMG we have Flash Heal, Paladins have Flash of Light, and Shamans have Lesser Healing wave, or ditto with Greater Heal. In trying to bring efficiency back as a concern, they have to introduce a third core single target heal. And, really, you have to have SOME things in common between classes that serve that same role. Imagine if one of the tank classes didn't have a taunt or a shield wall. Sure, they could probably find a way to give them a different flavor, but it makes balancing that much harder and it just doesn't make much difference because that slightly different flavor will just serve the same purpose anyway.

So, honestly, save your QQ about homogenization for when someone else gets a CoH, PoM, PoH, Penance, or PWS.

imo, inner will should be 12% haste and 10% reduced mana cost. leave inner fire where it is. movement speed is cool but one of our brand spanking new spells shouldnt be 'very' situational. as it stands right now, i can see NO use for inner will. besides running to the next room i don't really need any more movement buffs.

as for the tank shield vs. Power Word: Barrier... put them both on the same CD imo. that way you have to make the decision whether to mitigate some party damage or tank damage. however i do think the 'tank shield' should do something spiffy so it doesnt just feel like a fatter PW:S. something like: when 'tank shield' (need a name for this too) is removed by a damaging blow, the target of 'tank shield' takes (25%) less damage for 5 seconds. you can talent it, etc, yadda yadda. as for pvp... pvp is retarded anyway and frankly i don't see many priests rocking out in arenas so our 'life grip' is looking a little more OP than another shield. BTW, obviously all forms of shield cause weakened soul

Quote Originally Posted by Druishprince
    imo, inner will should be 12% haste and 10% reduced mana cost. leave inner fire where it is. movement speed is cool but one of our brand spanking new spells shouldnt be 'very' situational. as it stands right now, i can see NO use for inner will. besides running to the next room i don't really need any more movement buffs.

as for the tank shield vs. Power Word: Barrier... put them both on the same CD imo. that way you have to make the decision whether to mitigate some party damage or tank damage. however i do think the 'tank shield' should do something spiffy so it doesnt just feel like a fatter PW:S. something like: when 'tank shield' (need a name for this too) is removed by a damaging blow, the target of 'tank shield' takes (25%) less damage for 5 seconds. you can talent it, etc, yadda yadda. as for pvp... pvp is retarded anyway and frankly i don't see many priests rocking out in arenas so our 'life grip' is looking a little more OP than another shield. BTW, obviously all forms of shield cause weakened soul
    Inner Will's movement speed is no doubt partly intended for application in PVP. Replacing that with 12% haste in tandem with the mana cost reduction on instant casts (remember, they've indicated mana will not be inexhaustible in Cata) would be OP for PVE where our HoT's will innately benefit from haste.

As to the larger shield for tanks being on a shared CD as PW:B, that doesn't make sense to me. That would be analagous to sharing a CD between Pain Suppression and Divine Hymn. Our ability to switch between mitigating tanks and the raid shouldn't be that conflicted. I haven't read up on any info about the new, larger tank shield, but assume that it will in essence be a more powerful absorb mechanic. I would expect it either to operate like PW:S sharing the weakened soul debuff and just delivering a more powerful shield at higher mana cost, or a tremendously powerful shield on longer CD and perhaps not sharing the Weakend Soul debuff (as if it did, it would discourage keeping a 'normal' PW:S on the tank for the talented benefits it applies so that it doesn't prevent the larger shield being eligible to apply in emergencies).

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick
    Inner Will's movement speed is no doubt partly intended for application in PVP.
    Hopefully. Because other wise if its manditory in PvE raiding then everyone will need it. But it would also let us no take speed to boots

First people whine that they want an ability similar to another class
    Then people whine that the abilities are too similar

Blizzard can't win

Inner Will's movement speed is no doubt partly intended for application in PVP. Replacing that with 12% haste in tandem with the mana cost reduction on instant casts (remember, they've indicated mana will not be inexhaustible in Cata) would be OP for PVE where our HoT's will innately benefit from haste.
    Plus, it wouldn't necessarily make it more useful in PvP, over armor. Choosing one over the other, should be a choice, in either type of gameplay. But, that run speed helps a lot in PvE (think how many fights you have to move? How often Body and Soul is useful, or the fact you already enchant +run speed to boots). That’s not changing.

Regarding the larger shield mechanics, to anyone that cares:

They’ve said nothing about its interaction with other spells, its cooldown, anything. All they’ve said is you’ll probably be getting one to use on tanks, so they can keep little ones on the raid. Maybe it’s a buff that you can cast on one person (like Beacon is now) that amplifies your Power Word: Shield on the target by 4 times, but doubles weakened Soul? Maybe it’ll apply Weakened Soul of its own, or a debuff that also associates with Power Word: Shield and/or the positive benefits of Renewed Hope.

What do we know? Nothing, at least thus far. I agree with Bigslick again, that “big tank shield” being on a shared cooldown with Barrier’s intended effect doesn’t seem plausible, or even remotely likely because they’re two different spells, for two different roles, and it’s not hard to make them not stack with eachother. Really.

Again: Absorbs aren’t going away. They want you to use them, but they also don’t want absorbs to be the only thing you use when you “heal”. You’ll just be damn good at them. :P

Plus, it wouldn't necessarily make it more useful in PvP, over armor. Choosing one over the other, should be a choice, in either type of gameplay. But, that run speed helps a lot in PvE (think how many fights you have to move? How often Body and Soul is useful, or the fact you already enchant +run speed to boots). That’s not changing.
    Yep, situational in either role. Definitely PVP-viable when LoS'ing casters as the armor is useless, but not so great when there's a melee in the picture, especially if we don't get some other sort of direct escape from snares / charges / etc. As to PVE, I can't imagine dropping the run speed on boots just because it's too valuable to give up in the likely more common PVE scenarios where Inner Will is preferable.

I agree with Bigslick again.
    I should sooooooo sig that!

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Yep, situational in either role. Definitely PVP-viable when LoS'ing casters as the armor is useless, but not so great when there's a melee in the picture, especially if we don't get some other sort of direct escape from snares / charges / etc. As to PVE, I can't imagine dropping the run speed on boots just because it's too valuable to give up in the likely more common PVE scenarios where Inner Will is preferable.

I should sooooooo sig that!
    Lets me seriously consider picking up Engineering (assuming they keep/upgrade the glove enchant, and the rocket boots), as for the fights with movement I can just run Inner Will, and for the ones that don't, I can run Inner Fire. I can even switch between the two, mid fight. Best use of mana? Probably not, but the option remains there. Plus, some fights are going to be bloody fraking huge. I mean, even just look at the Deathwing model (it's been confirmed, so I can talk about it :P). Bloody. Huge. Tell me that won't be designed around you running your ass off, praying to the gods that you're not going to die in one of nineteen different ways?

As for the signature? Go for it. But you'd have to cut out something else, because you're already borderline stretching the policies.

Best use of mana? Probably not, but the option remains there.
    Could be a good use of mana. If its not a problem (which it almost never is) run speed to that DPS way out there killing adds or something vs slow walk? Which saves him?

Plus, some fights are going to be bloody fraking huge. I mean, even just look at the Deathwing model (it's been confirmed, so I can talk about it :P). Bloody. Huge. Tell me that won't be designed around you running your ass off, praying to the gods that you're not going to die in one of nineteen different ways?
    BLIZZARD WILL KEEEEEELLLLLL YOOOOUUUU!

But yea this spell could mean that. But then waht saves the people w/o a spell like it?

Intervene, Pursuit of Justice, whatever Unholy Presence becomes (or on a Pale Horse).
    Aspect of the Dazed (single or group), Enhance can Feral Sprint but Resto/Enhance suck (although they get to run while casting on a cooldown, so it's "less punishing :P")
    Sprint, Dash
    Blink, Body and Soul, Life Grip a target behind you, Warlocks are screwed.

It's not even that it's required. But using it helps. Massive run fights are intensely made easie , the less actual time you spend moving.

inner will is pretty similar to mage armor in the fact that you have to choose what you want to have up. not just the spell mage armor im saying all there armor. they are making all the class's do the same stuff. why have diffrent toons when you can just play one that does everything?