Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Holy Pally, why so boring ?

Quote Originally Posted by Botoks
    Healing may not be fun but is definetly more entertaining than dpsing or tanking. And that basicly makes it fun.
    Well, that's my point. I can find enjoyment in both the huge numbers of DPS'ing and the feeling of going toe-to-toe with a boss as tank. As i have rarely healed (well, rarely healed consciously... don't ask please) i don't get what's fun about it. That's why I'm asking.
    And Christ said to his disciples, "I shall grant you eternal Salvation!"
    The disciples fell to their knees and replied, "Give us kings n00b!".

Quote Originally Posted by Ascal
    Well, that's my point. I can find enjoyment in both the huge numbers of DPS'ing and the feeling of going toe-to-toe with a boss as tank. As i have rarely healed (well, rarely healed consciously... don't ask please) i don't get what's fun about it. That's why I'm asking.
    A lack of rotation, reactive usage of skills, thrill of having a power to let someone die. Dunno tbh everyone finds other joys in diffrent activities.

Its not boring!

I dunno what u guys think healing is.
    You keep an eye on the hole raid even if youre only spamming the tank

dunno ...not more boring than doing dps

btw. I use more than 6 spells

maybe some of you didn't get the healing thing

just test it

the thing is ...if 1 dd fails ...nobody cares
    If the holy pally fails, the tank dies, the raid wipes

get it ?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Soulbender
    using FREQUENTLY more than 3 heals and two buffs with your other healers?

But holy paladin is quite simple to play, yes. 1/10 on the troll meter.
    stop tossing around the "troll" word, it´s so used to death that the majority doesn´t even know what a troll is anymore.
    just because it didn´t match his expectations and he tries to get some advice on how to make it more appealing doesnt mean that he´s a troll -.-

Most fun thing about a holy paladin is the guaranteed raid spot since we're this expansion's healing FotM.

Feel free to PM me about any question you might have regarding LoL.
    Holy paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Tesshiro
    Yes the holy paladin only requires a total of 5 spells!
    #1 Flash of Light
    #2 Holy Shock
    #3 Holy Light
    #4 Beacon of Light
    #5 Sacred Shield

If you really thought that, that was the only thing you needed as a holy paladin then you are much mistaken! Controlling your Hand spells, managing your CDs and know when to pop what etc, etc, etc... But the biggest problem is your mana at first. It can be a biatch!
    Avenging Wrath
    Divine Shield/Protection
    Divine Sacrifice/Guardian
    Judgement of Light/Wisdom/Justice
    Seal of Light/Wisdom

...just to name a few...

No one's going to point out that this guy is complaining Holy Pally is boring in the same paragraph that he's complaining there's too much to do?
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Well, i often hear people say this, but what i never hear is what makes healing fun. So please, enlighten me. What makes healing fun for you? Then maybe we'll be able to figure out what Holy is lacking.
    It's a difference in someone's grasp of a fight.

I have no big interest in seeing "big numbers" on the most part but on the other hand pulling someone back from the brink of death is a big feeling of victory. It's a great feeling of fuck yea especially when you rush into range, shock then HL a tank to full from 20% THEN see them go 50% knowing full well you just saved a wipe from occuring.

Healing operates inverse to DPS though - the easier the fight, the more boring healing is, while DPS gets to pull out all the stops.

Even FoL paladins use 51/20/0...
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

we all know they are boring thats why they are updating it. And if you didnt want to be bored out of your braing why did you spec for it and then complain. Its common knowledge that its a boring class.. but you would of known so why would you complain... ZE PARADOX SHE IS UNFOLDING!
    CPU: i7 3930k@4.4 Mobo: Rampage IV X79 RAM: 32GB Ripjaw @ 1600Mhz GPU: EVGA 780ti SC SSD: 128GB M4

TO be honest, I've never understood the "enjoyment in huge numbers" thing. So boss mechanics and RNG alligned for a brief moment and a large number poped up on your screen. Whoop-dee-doo. I mean, if that does it for you, just write a program that randomly pops large numbers on your screen and save yourself $15 a month.

Healing is a challenge. As is tanking. Healers have to be "always on". If a couple DPS go AFK for 30 seconds in the middle of a fight, chances are no one will even notice. A couple Healers do the same and it's probably a wipe. Your Tanks try that and your whole raid is walking back before the 30 seconds are even up.

That's why I play this game. For the challenge. And that's why I have a Tank and a Healer as main specs for my two characters and why DPS is just a sub-spec there for when the raid needs it.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>

Stop using FoL please, I hate die because some fail holy bubbledin can't use HL

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest
    TO be honest, I've never understood the "enjoyment in huge numbers" thing. So boss mechanics and RNG alligned for a brief moment and a large number poped up on your screen. Whoop-dee-doo.
    Hell my main spec is ret and I still don't get it, or care. There's some air of expected competition between DPS, as if you have bragging rights that you did more damage than someone else on X fight. It pisses me off even more so now with Skillmourne stars that are popping up out of nowhere, expecting recognition because they pulled big numburz with a legendary weapon or people like Bluedeep that resort to automation to squeeze out a little more dps. You might as well get a robot to play your game for you.

The only person I care about beating is my own DPS from the week before.

Back to the original topic, if you think holy is boring somehow, respec. You have three options, there's no need to sit and whine about one spec when you could be doing something else you enjoy more. I play holy the least out of our three potential specs, but I still play it from time to time. It really isn't as boring as you're making it seem, unless everything you've healed you've vastly outgeared.

15+ Year Old Account

TO be honest, I've never understood the "enjoyment in huge numbers" thing. So boss mechanics and RNG alligned for a brief moment and a large number poped up on your screen. Whoop-dee-doo. I mean, if that does it for you, just write a program that randomly pops large numbers on your screen and save yourself $15 a month.

Healing is a challenge. As is tanking. Healers have to be "always on". If a couple DPS go AFK for 30 seconds in the middle of a fight, chances are no one will even notice. A couple Healers do the same and it's probably a wipe. Your Tanks try that and your whole raid is walking back before the 30 seconds are even up.

That's why I play this game. For the challenge. And that's why I have a Tank and a Healer as main specs for my two characters and why DPS is just a sub-spec there for when the raid needs it.
    I will agree with Healing being a challenge, but tanking is anything but. Most fights you are essentially another dps. You just stand there and mash buttons and every now and then you have to toss out a taunt. There are a few exceptions like LK but that is just a challenge for anyone involved really.

I've tanked, healed, and dps'd. The only time I've ever felt pressure to have to perform well is healing. Of course you WANT to do your best to perform well no matter what spec you play, but only as a healer have I ever felt like that if I didn't do my job perfectly, the raid would fail.

From my experience, tanks are just melee dps that don't have to worry about standing in the fire because they're already on the receiving end of most of the healing.

I think on Paragon's first H LK kill the tank DC'd for about 10 seconds at the beginning of the fight and nothing happened. So basically as a tank on the hardest fight in the game, I could get up and go fill up a glass of water real fast and come back and things would be fine.

Not to mention, the better your healers, the worse you can be at tanking. If it is the opposite and you have crappy healers, the tank isn't going to do much to save your raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampmoose
    From my experience, tanks are just melee dps that don't have to worry about standing in the fire because they're already on the receiving end of most of the healing.
    That was pretty funny. A bit extreme, but still worth a chuckle.

I’ll definitely grant that some fights are real snoozers as a tank (Blood Queen anyone?). But a good tank makes a huge difference on fights where tanking matters. I think a lot of the way I measure difficulty in this game is based on awareness and task management. 95% of the time DPS only needs to be aware of their own personal little bubble and the tasks they have to manage are the same cooldowns and rotations that they did on the last fight. As a Tank or Healer, I have to do that for myself and everyone else in the raid. DPS has to watch to make sure they don’t stand in fire, I have to watch to make sure no one is standing in fire.

As a DPS, you’ve got yourself and the Boss to watch and manage. Often times it really feels like nothing else really matters. I mean, you might as well be playing the game solo.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>

I will agree with Healing being a challenge, but tanking is anything but. Most fights you are essentially another dps. You just stand there and mash buttons and every now and then you have to toss out a taunt. There are a few exceptions like LK but that is just a challenge for anyone involved really.
    Tanking's challenge comes from the responsibility of it. If you move the boss wrong on certain mechanics, everyone can die in one shot. If you don't respond to a lot of things correctly, it can result in a lot of deaths.

I will admit though, healing is much harder. And while Tanking isn't as hard as healing, I'd call it harder than DPS BECAUSE of the responsibility you have. Often in Raids if a tank dies I see people calling for a wipe because you need him for his job and what he does. Not so much with DPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora
    welcome to healing in wrath, its terribly boring :-\

(add the fact that healadin is the most boring healer of all that dont help a lot, that dont mean i dont respect people that play holy far from that)
    While I agree with you on healing in wrath can be boring.

Healing on a Paladin is by far the least boring of the healers. Lets be honest every healer at this point is pretty boring on farmed content. On progression content its a different story; typically a lot more nerve racking.

While they all have thier niche spells (that I'm sure someone of that class is going to whine about) a holy paladin is no more boring than:

Shaman - LOL CHAIN HEAL with a sprinkle of riptide.
    Disc Priest - Most fights you are just spamming bubbles, tossing out PoM on CD, Penance here and there and a few flash heals.
    Resto Druid - The entire BQL/Fester/Sindra fight. Rejuv. Rejuv. Rejuv. Rejuv. Rejuv. Air Phase on BQL/3rd inhale on Fester? Nourish/Regrowth....

People say that Holy Paladins are boring because we spam a couple of spells, but on most fights no other class is different.
    Xentin
    Damage Control [Suramar-US]

15+ Year Old Account

That was pretty funny. A bit extreme, but still worth a chuckle.

I’ll definitely grant that some fights are real snoozers as a tank (Blood Queen anyone?). But a good tank makes a huge difference on fights where tanking matters. I think a lot of the way I measure difficulty in this game is based on awareness and task management. 95% of the time DPS only needs to be aware of their own personal little bubble and the tasks they have to manage are the same cooldowns and rotations that they did on the last fight. As a Tank or Healer, I have to do that for myself and everyone else in the raid. DPS has to watch to make sure they don’t stand in fire, I have to watch to make sure no one is standing in fire.

As a DPS, you’ve got yourself and the Boss to watch and manage. Often times it really feels like nothing else really matters. I mean, you might as well be playing the game solo.
    That's what I like about Ret DPS though. Most of the time it is just you and the boss you are focusing on and it can feel like a solo effort, but we have tons of tools to use if that's not the case. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people that thinks a ret paladin's job is to use every single art of war proc to heal the raid, but when things get sticky, you have options. All of the hand spells, SS, instant heals, AM, LoH, many many things that can save raids. Very few other dps classes have the tools we do when it comes to raid support so I certainly see the argument there.

I still don't see how a tank has much more than a boss and himself to manage either though. You mention having to watch the raid to see if they are standing in fire. Well any decent dps knows to get his ass out of the fire even if a tank is slow to move and you can get back in and dps again once he's been moved. If someone sits through the fire and then blames it on the tank being slow to move, they are just bad. Either job you are doing, "move out of the fire" is your objective whether you are hitting the boss or he's the one hitting you. Same responsibility.

I've tanked/dps'd all of ICC and while I've been typing I've been trying to think of any fight where I need more awareness as a tank than as a dps, and I can't find any. All fights I have to pay more attention and have better awareness as a DPS than as a tank.

I was asked to heal 11/12 hm's 10/25 ICC, LK progression and an insanity run as an offspec with some ret gear for the crit since I had not other alternatives.

My view is that healing as a paladin is 90% spamming Holy Light to the point of falling asleep and 10% HOLY FUCKING FUCK DO NOT DIE JESUS CHRIST TITTYS IN MY OH MY GOD.

PC healing is fun, though. Very fun.

Well any decent dps knows to get his ass out of the fire even if a tank is slow to move and you can get back in and dps again once he's been moved. If someone sits through the fire and then blames it on the tank being slow to move, they are just bad. Either job you are doing, "move out of the fire" is your objective whether you are hitting the boss or he's the one hitting you. Same responsibility.
    The problem is there are quite a lot of DPS who don't. Most worry more about their own DPS than getting out of that fire. Part of the tank's job is basically to play babysitter to these DPS.

And since not every guild, more so the 25 mans, can afford to toss out bad players if they don't have backups.

Putracide might be a good example of where a tank needs more awareness. A DPS's job can (CAN) boil down to "Follow the boss and hit him" on third phase. Leaving it to the tanks to watch out for puddle sizes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].