Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How far can Hunters solo?

So, let's put it in more ideal situations. Supposing the hunter is in icc10 gear, how many things can they solo? Is soloing the entire MC possible, BWL, maybe level 70 raids? This is using a pure tank BM spec of course.

Deleted

Re: How far can Hunters solo?

Some bosses are simply not possible while others are piece of cake.
    The plate wearers are the big and skillful solo characters, mages can do something too, but hunter solo boss actions are mostly boring.

Atumen is possible but sometimes a bit of luck dependent.
    Moroes is like an Abrams Tank squashing an ant (the pet).

Well with a few tries on Attumen the Horseman few months back ,I must say, that It just depends on how quickly can you get him to the other phase, because with a bit unluck, your pet can die within few seconds.

I've also tried soloing the Raptor boss in ZG .The problem there, Is the bosses raptor pet, he does quite a lot damage so It isn't easy to heal the pet through it, when both bosses are attacking it, but if you kill him, the boss gets enraged. His fear doesn't make it much easier.

However, some bosses have a different mechanic fights ( Romulus and Juliet in Kara) which you are just unable to do, unless you do a crazy amount of dps. In my opinion, hunter is more usefull when duo'ing some instances, but with some nice running and disengaging around, you should be able to kill some :-)

Well that's a shame. With the thread talking about hunters tanking chillmaw with their pets I would've thought they can do some crazy soloing.

with enough gear:

Some bosses in Kara are soloable (i've done Attumen consistantly without wipes)
    Zul'Gurub - Raptor boss, enough priests to bring Hakkar down(including tiger boss), and Hakkar himself are soloable (i've killed Hakkar on my own)
    Molten Core is soloable (haven't done this myself, but i've heard it done)

with a defensive bm spec and 2 parts t5 you can probably solo alot.

Deleted

Check out this thread: http://elitistjerks.com/f74/t43955-h...es_fun_profit/

All MC is soloable, all ZG and I think alot of BWL, alot of Kara too. I only bothered with old world soloing for mounts, I solod tiger boss in Zg and got my tiger, raptor boss too but no luck with mount. I solod Attumen easily with a warpstalker, pet hp doesn't go below 50% but no mount, I solo farmed MGT H easily too and got my white chicken.

wear 2 pc t5 and you will be able to solo most shit that could remotely be worth it .
    I did most of AQ20, first trash packs in AQ 40 for mounts, most of MC, all bc heroics including MgT and ZG and I must say, there were rarely any difficulties.

Attumen with 2 pc t5 is a joke, if you use readiness for the 3rd misdirect at the phase transition.

I prefer bringing crocolisk or turtle depending on the encounter (specifically crocolisk for add fights)
    When misdirecting multiple mobs or even large trash packs, be sure to use explosive trap prior to volley and your pet will get some massive healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinni
    This. You get the 2 piece T5 Set that gives a 15% healing to your pet from your damage and you are BM, you can solo a lot of things.

In most cases, you can solo just about everything in Classic. There's a few gimmick fights that are impossible.

In BC, 10 mans are rather easy. I am not so sure about 25 mans, maybe 1 or 2 bosses.

Ok, so with that said, if you could choose any 2 pieces from tier 5, which would be the most ideal pieces for you?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinni
    This . 2 pieces of tier 5 really helps

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by zergslayer69
    Ok, so with that said, if you could choose any 2 pieces from tier 5, which would be the most ideal pieces for you?
    Helm and Gloves if you raid ICC25, else it doesnt really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by zergslayer69
    Well that's a shame. With the thread talking about hunters tanking chillmaw with their pets I would've thought they can do some crazy soloing.
    The daily undead wyrm you gotta kill? yeah think everyone can solo that in atleast toc gear. I know prot warriors can solo things up to 400k, i can do up to 200k in like 200-226 gear, my dps can get about the same but its very tricky.
    With out all the little tricks a certain rogue or warlock have done before, I'd say the best soloers are hunters. I prefer Warpstalker, his warp gives him dodge after which helps when hes low on health, I dont know how many things I've soloed with it, but killing durn at 64 without ever getting close to my pet or me dying was a great feeling.
    I typo for the Nazis

Quote Originally Posted by kampfer
    The daily undead wyrm you gotta kill? yeah think everyone can solo that in atleast toc gear. I know prot warriors can solo things up to 400k, i can do up to 200k in like 200-226 gear, my dps can get about the same but its very tricky.
    With out all the little tricks a certain rogue or warlock have done before, I'd say the best soloers are hunters. I prefer Warpstalker, his warp gives him dodge after which helps when hes low on health, I dont know how many things I've soloed with it, but killing durn at 64 without ever getting close to my pet or me dying was a great feeling.
    I solo chillmaw on my rogue, although raid bosses in MC and such are a bit much, they take way too long to kill for me to tank. I've done all of MC and ZG on my hunter, though.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by IceyDevil
    I solo chillmaw on my rogue, although raid bosses in MC and such are a bit much, they take way too long to kill for me to tank. I've done all of MC and ZG on my hunter, though.
    WTF? Raptor boss pushes my shit in within 10 seconds
    "WoW is a game about upgrading your stuff." - Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    anachronistic hypocrites
    Oh noes! We're time traveling hypocrites!

me, in bm spec, with any tenacity pet:

soloed all of zg. raptor boss is piss ez, kill the raptor, heal the enrage, then it's tank and spank. when he marks u, stop attacking(or doing something that gives u aggro), and he wont charge you. tiger is piss ez.

MC, only tried getting to magmadar, going there again soon, but with the gear i have is going to be ez.

all of the tbc hcs soloed.

next step is doing normal wotlk instances.

my gear: relentless/furious, 2 sta trinkets, 2pc t5.

Quote Originally Posted by chelate
    WTF? Raptor boss pushes my shit in within 10 seconds
    Raptor? Do you use a tank BM spec with a tank pet? I did fine with my turtle, even better with my warp stalker. I was taking him before I got 2xt5, with that it's almost easy enough to autoshot afk.

Granted, he's not as easy now that the tricks don't seem to work, but should still be manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyDevil
    Raptor? Do you use a tank BM spec with a tank pet? I did fine with my turtle, even better with my warp stalker. I was taking him before I got 2xt5, with that it's almost easy enough to autoshot afk.

Granted, he's not as easy now that the tricks don't seem to work, but should still be manageable.
    true, was doing him well be4 i managed to get 2 t5 tokens. and without the evade bug.

Look forward to Cata if you enjoy soloing.. Odds are good that we can expect 100k hp pools for ourselves so a hunter geared for soloing should have a pet with similar hp levels as well ^^

Sorry for the wall of text...

You can solo a hell of a lot of content. Here's my current list:

All of MC.
    All of AQ20.
    Prophet Skeram in AQ40.
    All of ZG (I think - definitely soloed Hakkar anyway).
    All of Karazhan.
    Egg boss in ZA. The bear boss is also possible but you have to get a bit lucky and you need to kite him like crazy with distracting shot to stop your pet getting hit with the bleed.
    Nexus normal.
    UK normal.

I tried soloing ToC5 normal today on my alt hunter (gearing him just for soloing ). I'm not sure if it's possible or not or whether it was a gear problem. I tried killing the mounted units at the start on the wolf, but the wolf dies way too fast and if you dismount as the only person in the group, it resets. In the end I found you could start the encounter on the wolf, but before you engage, equip your normal weapon and get your pet to tank. Note for anyone trying this: feign death doesn't work so don't over-aggro. The problem I eventually ran into was the last wave of adds, which auto-engage and have 90% damage reduction. That made it impossible to burn one down and obviously reduced the healing my pet received from the t5. Has anyone else tried this?

I've not tried any other 80 normals yet but I think I've soloed all 70 heroics so far - they're not that difficult with a bit of thought. As for Karazhan, the hardest bosses by far were Terestian and Netherspite.

I cannot tell you how many hours I spent wiping on Terestian trying to figure out a way of bringing him down. The problem is the sacrifice. My pet couldn't break the chain fast enough and the damage was too much to survive. After trying a lot of things, by accident, I noticed a set bonus on some tier gear I'd been collecting from MC (t1?). The 3 set bonus extends the range of Mend Pet by 50%, bringing it to 68 yards. With that, I ended up tanking him right in the far corner, blew all my cds and burned off as much of his health as possible. Then I distracted the imp back out the door and killed him (for the extra damage buff against Terestian). Then it's a case of running in, mending your pet, running back out, volleying the imps down or bringing them around the corner to do it. Be warned: you can still get sacrificed even at 68 yards so you have to be quick with the mending. Mana became a problem and in my initial attempts I actually hit the enrage timer and my pet got creamed. I eventually managed to do it with a little extra gear and even flasking up, but my gear's a lot better on my main now so I think it would probably be a lot easier.

Netherspite was difficult simply because he was destroying my pet the whole time. I actually saw a video of a DK pulling him outside the room and away from the portals and I managed to do the same using freezing arrow to aggro him and pull him out of the room. Once outside, the most important thing is to time your CDs to keep your DPS high to allow your pet to survive. You absolutely have to use a turtle here otherwise you won't make it. Time AotV with the shell shield to keep your mana high and pump out the DPS when the shield isn't available. Avoiding the void zones wasn't too difficult but the second phase made me lose a lot of HP because of the knockback and I wiped a lot of times because of it. In the end, I managed to get the HP5 trinket from Onyxia 10 and that pretty much made the difference. It's certainly not on farm though.

As for the other bosses:

Attumen is simple. Clear the trash to make sure you don't do something daft and then tank'n'spank.

Moroes is all about the first 30 seconds. You have to kill the shadowpriest and the guy that puts mortal strike on your pet. Once they're down you can avoid the garrote by feigning when Moroes vanishes. He'll garrote your pet but it's easy to heal through. Once he's garroted your pet, get up from feign as soon as you can. The timer's fairly tight between each vanish, so don't get behind else you'll eat a garrote and you'll soon be in trouble.

Maiden is extremely easy. Send your pet in and position yourself so you can strafe behind the door and into the corner. Just pop out and fire your shots when they're off CD and do the same to mend your pet. If you see her casting the holy fire, just move behind the door again. You can use Bestial Wrath to get out of the Repentence but only if the pet is in LoS. If you get repentenced behind the door though, it doesn't really matter as she won't holy fire you anyway. I've always had the Hawkeye talent when doing this but I'm not sure if it's required or not.

Curator is a little more awkward and depending on your gear can be really tight. The important thing here is you need to stay out of range of him (unless he's evocating). Let your pet do the DPS. The arcane bolt really hurts and you won't last for long if you stay in range. Drop a frost trap, put an explosive trap on top of it and keep killing the adds until he evocates. Once he's evocating, use as many CDs as you have available and try to ignore the adds at that point if you can. Burn as much off of him as possible and repeat until he's dead. If your gear isn't that great, it's very easy to get behind on the adds and that's basically what will end up causing you to wipe.

Opera event:

Wizard of Oz - Drop an explosive trap on Strawman. Don't use immolation trap in case one of the others accidentally trigger it. Fire damage will stop him DPSing for a while. Use scare beast on the dog (whatever his name is xD) and a snake trap on Dorothy. Dorothy cannot be tanked and will keep casting at you or your pet. By having the snake trap down, you take the pressure off of yourself as she'll also cast at the snakes. Kill her first, MD Tinman to your pet (again I'd seriously recommend a turtle for this) and kill him. Once those 2 are dead, the fight is simple. Once the crone spawns, let the pet get aggro and just avoid the whirlwind and you have a kill.

Big Bad Wolf - This is more tricky but again is completely doable. You need to tank the wolf as far away from yourself as possible to give you as much time to run away when you're turned into the little girl. When you're the little girl, you have zero armour so each hit hurts. Keep timing feign to stop taking too much damage but also to allow mend to keep your pet alive, as you'll not be doing much DPS here. Try to pre-mend, clipping ticks if you have to, if it's about the right time that you'll be turned into the little girl (you'll work that out the more you do it).

Romeo and Juliet - You need aimed shot for this. This is a DPS race because the damage you receive will eventually be too much. Keeping your pet alive won't be too difficult - it'll definitely be your survival that's the problem. I found this to be the most gear-dependent of the opera event fights but it's also doable.

Shade of Aran - You'll need the Hawkeye talent for this. Send your pet in and back yourself up into the door as far as you can. It seems to bug his arcane missiles/fireballs so you don't take damage. He casts them, but there's no animation and you don't get hit. If you're unlucky and your pet decides to go schizoid on you (anyone noticed how their pet goes beserk running in circles when Baron Geddon starts cast the fire nova?) then you'll start taking probably too much damage to survive. Once he gets lowish (around 30%), he'll spawn 4 water elementals. You need to kill these fast as they will do a lot of damage to you. I save MD for the 2 closest to where I'm standing and get those shooting at my pet as quickly as possible. Then kill the 2 furthest away and burn those 2 down afterwards. After that, it's an easy kill.

Chess - This one's a bit hit and miss sometimes but the basic strategy I use is to move 3 grunts forward - the one in front of the king, the one to the right of that and again, the one to the right of that (so the warlock can move). After moving those 3, it's roughly around the right time where Medivh will start cheating and burn the square your king is standing on. Jump on him and move him forward out of the fire and then jump on the warlock. Use the lock to heal your king and DPS with the shadowbolt when the heal is on cooldown. It seems to work for me about 50% of the time.

Prince Malchezaar - This fight can be a little frustrating but with good gear is straightforward. The first time I did this, I one-shot it and presumed it was pretty easy. The following week I probably wiped 6 times on it before I finally killed him again. You want to position your pet in the far right corner of the map. Put him on stay and on passive. Misdirect on him and once Malchezaar is swinging at him, set him to defensive. When Malchezaar yells, look up and find out where the infernal is going to spawn and make sure you're not going to get hit by it. Sometimes you'll get unlucky and it'll land virtually where your pet is, making him take extra damage. In phase 1 it's not a problem, but once Malchezaar gets to 60%, he moves to phase 2 and starts dealing a huge amount of damage. Again, you'll need a turtle for this. Save all of your CDs for this phase and burn through it as quickly as you can. At 30% he'll move into phase 3.

Phase 3 is where the RNG can really screw you over. The problem is the infernals stack up, really reducing the space you have and not only that, but Malchezaar will start casting shadow word: pain on you. He will also place a debuff on you that increases the damage you take and spawn arms (weapons, axes, whatever) that will start attacking you. If you end up with the damage debuff on you and the arms attacking you at the same time, you are going to drop pretty fast. Save your feign for when this happens. Also, time bandages for when shadow word: pain falls off as you'll probably need the extra health to survive. You can try to milk a few extra seconds whilst you're feigned as the damage your pet will be taking is easily healable.

Nightbane - You want to position your pet halfway around the wall on the opposite side of the room (not quite sure how to explain it). If you put your pet too close to the wall, he'll keep LoSing you, making it a lot more difficult. Move from the charred ground and make sure you're not too close to Nightbane. The breath seems to have a fairly long range, and a large cone and you've got to be mindful of the tail swipe and his cleaves. He also fears, so save Bestial Wrath for that if you can. When he flies up, volley down the adds, MD him back to your pet and use a bandage. By the time he flies up again for the next set of adds, you'll be able to bandage again.

I don't think I've forgotten anything. Funny story though. A while back I was clearing some bosses in ZG and decided to kill Jin'Do - up to that point I was just doing mount farming runs. I forgot about the MC and messed it up several times with him resetting. I decided to switch from my turtle to my wolf, blew all my CDs and burned off as much of his HP as I could before the first totem. I then switched to Aspect of the Beast and feigned, waiting for my pet to kill him. The plan worked except for one tiny problem. As the boss died, my feign ran out and a totem was still up. I got MCed and proceeded to get buttraped by my pet, who ironically, was getting healed by the damage I was doing to him with the t5. I haven't been back since. xD

Got some stuff I need to do now but if anyone needs some strats for any of the bosses, post back and I'll get back to you later on.