Poll: Should classes be able to roll on their class's non MS pieces (ex: Paladin rolling on cloth gear)

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Classes rolling on their Non-Main Class Armor type

Hey, in our guild, if your a pally, u roll on plate, and can only roll on other types of gear (mail, leather, cloth) if there is no (insert class who uses the armor type main, ex shammy and mail) who also needs the gear. I am just curious of the opinons of others, i am assuming that the gear thats not ur class's main still has good stats for ur class that ur rolling on.

The reason why our guild runs things like this is for example, priests can only roll on cloth, whereas druids can roll on leather and cloth, and the druid wants the cloth piece with the priest, so because the priest cant wear leather, loot council gives to priest for that reason.

I can see why our guild runs it like this, but i can see the other side that is, gear is gear, BiS is BiS, and if ur a pally rolling on a cloth bis, u can, as in u cant deny a class their BiS due to what they can wear.

Im just looking for opinions of the general public regarding this matter, thanks.

PS the scearnios above were only examples, this thread applies to all classes

Re: Classes rolling on their Non-Main Class Armor type

It may be BIS but whats happens if that is the only piece of that type for that slot? Ok, so cloth piece drops thats BIS for holy pally so pally gets it over priest. Now how do you handle the piece being enchanted but on the next boss the second best holy pally plate piece for that slot drops? I've been in raids where one piece of mail drops but loads of pally healing gear came raining onto the raid.

In my opinion, there is no correct answer for this, both sides have valid arguments, and yea, like you said, that can occur, but thats blizz loot for ya

The only fair way to do it is to give priority to the people who wear that armor type. That cloth item might be BiS for a paladin, but it might also be BiS for a priest who has no other option.

From what I understand, this point may or may not be moot come the expansion, where you'll take a Mastery hit for not wearing your highest possible armor class, but until that time there's really no other fair way to do it. If that cloth item is BiS for a paladin and no cloth wearer wants it... sure, give it to the paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by snowblind
    The only fair way to do it is to give priority to the people who wear that armor type. That cloth item might be BiS for a paladin, but it might also be BiS for a priest who has no other option.

From what I understand, this point may or may not be moot come the expansion, where you'll take a Mastery hit for not wearing your highest possible armor class, but until that time there's really no other fair way to do it. If that cloth item is BiS for a paladin and no cloth wearer wants it... sure, give it to the paladin.
    say that the cloth piece was a bigger upgrade for the pally than the priest though, the piece goes to the person who doesnt need it as much?

Quote Originally Posted by Striiker
    say that the cloth piece was a bigger upgrade for the pally than the priest though, the piece goes to the person who doesnt need it as much?
    Sure. The priest may or may not get another option for that raid tier. The paladin still has plate, mail, possibly leather, or that same cloth piece (later on) to fall back on. Obviously if its a case of the paladin going from say... ilvl 200 to 264 and the priest going from 251 to 264, give it to the paladin I guess... but I don't see the point in giving priority to somebody who has more options.

10+ Year Old Account

If someone who can *only* wear the armor type in question rolls on it for main spec, that trumps the guy who *can* wear it, even if it's BiS.

On off-specs it's debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Helbereth
    If someone who can *only* wear the armor type in question rolls on it for main spec, that trumps the guy who *can* wear it, even if it's BiS.

On off-specs it's debatable.
    no matter how big an upgrade?

10+ Year Old Account

IMO, have the classes limited to that item or lower roll as MS, and anyone else roll as OS.

If nobody else needs it for MS, give the robes to the pally, or whatever else.

My warrior waited by choice for Toskk's because I didn't want to screw rogues out of their bracers just so I could get an upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abolishment View Post
    Hakto: English is an evolving language. When I say "I am gay", some people choose to interpet that as "he defines himself as gay, gay, and nothing but the gay, so help him Robot Unicorn Attack".

fair enough, my class is a hunter, my only other gear option is leather, and there have been times where ive been tempted, but the loss of intel made it a negligible upgrade

IMO, have the classes limited to that item or lower roll as MS, and anyone else roll as OS.

If nobody else needs it for MS, give the robes to the pally, or whatever else.
    this
    Aldoraan Ret Pally since 2.4

Outland - love forever

Deleted

if it is a guild, you should try and make everyone post their BiS lists for the content that you do on the guild forums (and possibly even weapon rankings), then let the master looter decide who gets it.

in a pug, everything is fair game. i won my cloak that way.

Pallys are suppose to roll for certain leather gear because its a BiS for them

Everyone is only posting as if this was a discussion on Holy Pallys v Preists, as if no one else rolls on lower gear, as a tree I roll on cloth all the time because it makes 0 difference to my healing whether or not im using cloth or leather armor.
    The problem with the current system is i cant roll need on cloth pieces because blizz doesnt think i really need them. Now i understand clothies not being able to roll on gear they cant wear, and in a raid situation with master looter, pallys should be restricted on rolling on cloth if clothies need it, but if a healing or dps class needs a piece of loot as an upgrade they should be able to roll on it regardless of armor type.

Stood in the Fire masterdisaster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Main armor proficiency only unless it is BiS. However, (sorry to use the same example) Holy priest gear drops, holy pally needs it as a MS upgrade and spriest wants it for OS, it goes to the pally

it depends if its a warrior rolling on a ring that has agj/AP but he wants it for his Arp then no but say an ele shammy who has a few cloth peices cloth that are best in slot then yes. its really situational.
    my friend code...

5241-1925-7760 name toasty

up for battles ...after 10/18/2013

Deleted

BiS = Yes
    Otherwise = Not really, depends.

This is the reason gearing up a moonkin is so hard. the icc25 man gear is shait for moonkins since it's all made for rdruids and filled with spirit.
    Armour prio is bs and always have been even though in cataclysm it will be due 2 it beeing better for the clothie

10+ Year Old Account

Depends, Holy Palas can roll on cloth in my book til Outland because there's hardly any healing plate around til then (I leveled a holy pala 1-80)

Quote Originally Posted by Azalu
    Depends, Holy Palas can roll on plate in my book til Outland because there's hardly any healing plate around til then (I leveled a holy pala 1-80)
    Im talking in more of a raiding scenario