Thread: Shock and Awe?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Shock and Awe?

Try the addon faceroller. It's kinda the same except it allows you to import the best rotation from the elitistjerks shaman forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenophontos
    I agree. I think its sad and wrong that people think they need to use an addon to properly play their favourite spec.
    Play a feral druid sometime.
    You literally have about 7 debuffs/buffs all with very short timers. Have fun watching all of those while timing your CDs, managing your energy, planning your combo points, AND being the only class that has to stand behind the boss at all times to properly attack. Add in bosses where you have to run around and avoid fire, and yea, good luck doing even 1/5th of your max dps without any addon timers.

Anyway, enchance shammans aren't to bad though. The class can't really use those mod timers or bars that well, the nature of the class and MSW makes playing mod-less the same or even better then playing with mod timers. Those mods are really made for hunters/rogues/ferals. I never understood why classes like boomkins use them, there is no need, its just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Levva
    I'd disagree its perfectly possible to play well without addons and without simming to death. Used right however the sims and the addons can assist you in getting that extra few percent out of your class.

It does depend on what your base skill level is though, the lower the reaction times and lower the skill the more that the addons and sims can assist making up that difference.
    By being competitive I mean the people that are ranking the most frequently. I probably just put it wrong. I have only ranked a few times, and none of them came before I started using the sims to assist me in my gear/gem choices. While I understand that it is possible, and I'm sure plenty of people can play well without doing either, I don't think they'll ever be the front runners...or something of that sort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danund81
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."

SAA is a very good tool for training and learning your priority. Personally I found after a while that my brain made up a routine of damage on the static fights, but it has it's uses in the more dynamic fights (Sindy HM, PP HM comes immediately to mind). I use a combination of SAA and Powerauras and only really use SAA when I quickly need to get in and out of the priority queue without having to engage the brain too much.

So I guess it's pretty much individual. I'm sure there are many well-performing enh shammies out there without SAA who uses other addons (or does it by brain), but I don't see SAA decreasing your performance at any point.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by madmonkie44
    Try the addon faceroller. It's kinda the same except it allows you to import the best rotation from the elitistjerks shaman forums.
    You can set it up in SaA as well...
    And you can have multiple priroty queues to switch between with a keybinding as well.
    Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz | MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4-3400 Memory | Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | Samsung - 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card | Corsair - 850W ATX Power Supply | 2 x HP - Omen 27 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez
    Thanks looks like that is what I was looking for, I'll try that. The point is that I can start spamming that next attack sooner. Why should I make it harder for myself and set the reaction time to 0,25s if it could be 1s?
    Because the ability you want to use could change in that .75 seconds. You could get a windfury proc and multiple stacks on maelstrom weapon changing priority to LB or you could get static shield procs using up charges on both lightning shield and Stormstrike making SS or refreshing LS higher priority than what you were going to do.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by evan_s
    Because the ability you want to use could change in that .75 seconds. You could get a windfury proc and multiple stacks on maelstrom weapon changing priority to LB or you could get static shield procs using up charges on both lightning shield and Stormstrike making SS or refreshing LS higher priority than what you were going to do.
    Plus the server cannot accept the command until 0.25 seconds before the GCD is finished. Hence the default is 0.25 seconds. It is wise to up this slightly if your lag is high. eg: 150ms lag then 0.30 helps. ie: add about 0.05 sec for each 50ms above 100 lag.

Incidentally for those that don't know this is a big impact on your dps. If you wait to press a key until the GCD is over then you are effectively doing nothing in the time it takes for your command to reach the server. eg:

GCD..LAG..GCD..LAG..etc

If lag is 100ms thats 100ms/1500ms = 1/15 of the time wasted or at best a 6.67% dps loss. If you have a lot of haste obviously your GCD is less so for instance it might be 100ms/1250ms = 1/12.5 ms wasted or an 8% dps loss.

If instead you press the key up to 0.25 seconds before the GCD then the spell gets added to a spell queue (NB. you can only have 1 thing queued, so its not really a proper queue). The server then acts on that spell the instant the GCD is over. Thus meaning your dps goes up.

NB. If you press the key before the 0.25 second window then the command is rejected with a "That ability isn't ready yet" error. This introduces a slight delay in the client before it will respond to another press, so simply mashing the key with actually REDUCE your chance of getting the ability off in the 0.25 sec window thus lowering your dps. Timing your key presses/mouse clicks to get inside the 0.25 sec window gives highest dps.

I have it setup where i only have the Prio Box up no bars or anything else i have other addons for w/e else i need.
    The box is kept in the middle and i glance at it instead of any button for its cooldown within bartender.
    As far as the timer somewhere around .9 to 1.0 to keep a watch on FS even do i seem to clip it more times than not.
    Sims are great but tbh its hard to try to "max dps and every cooldown" when a DK is so ahead @ times...

Quote Originally Posted by Levva
    Plus the server cannot accept the command until 0.25 seconds before the GCD is finished. Hence the default is 0.25 seconds. It is wise to up this slightly if your lag is high. eg: 150ms lag then 0.30 helps. ie: add about 0.05 sec for each 50ms above 100 lag.
    This is very useful to know. I play with a 340ms lag so I will change my time to 0.45s and see what impact it has on my DPS.

Hey, just started leveling my lvl 70 shaman again, first time as enhancement spec.
    I downloaded the Shock and Awe addon so I could practice my rotation a bit while leveling, but I've got some issues with the addon.
    Either I don't know how to set it up or it doesn't have as much functionality as my ret paladins CLC_ret addon has.

Here's a little picture to compare the 2 addons:

On the left side the paladin addon shows what ability to use next (crusader strike in this case) even during a global cooldown. It also shows what ability to use even after that (consecration in this case).
    The shaman addon on the right side doesn't show anything during a global cooldown, it just goes black. It also doesn't show what ability to use after the next one.

Shock and Awe only seems to show what ability to use a split second before the global CD is over, it's quite confusing and doesn't leave much time to react. Is there any way to make this work more like CLC_ret which shows the 2 next spells you have to use all the time?
    That's because Shock and Awe can't know what to cast next.

Hi !

I had the same problem, and worked on my own solution. So, don't listen to the guys who says that "pala is different, you can't know blabla", this is currently possible ;o

There was an addon called Shamwow enhance (still on curse.com, but REALLY outdated, and quite buggy), that did the job, so i modified it to to work in 3.xx, and i've updated the rotation.

The addon can now tell you your next 5 moves, and update in real time if necessary.
    One more thing, i won't add anything like the dropdowns boxes in SaA to change the priority list, i just update it manually from time to time.

If you're interested, just give me a mail here

Bye!

Edit
    Ps: SaA is a good addon, but as the OP said, it really lack this feature

Quote Originally Posted by tomazy
    Hi !

I had the same problem, and worked on my own solution. So, don't listen to the guys who says that "pala is different, you can't know blabla", this is currently possible ;o

There was an addon called Shamwow enhance (still on curse.com, but REALLY outdated, and quite buggy), that did the job, so i modified it to to work in 3.xx, and i've updated the rotation.

The addon can now tell you your next 5 moves, and update in real time if necessary.
    One more thing, i won't add anything like the dropdowns boxes in SaA to change the priority list, i just update it manually from time to time.

Bye!

Edit
    I frequently use LB more than twice in 5 GCDs. I've gone LB -> Ability -> LB regularly as well.

I'm with Levva on this one, can't think of a single good reason why you might want to know your priority after next. 50/50 it will change before you get there anyway. It would be different if we were talking Cat rotation where you might use Tiger's Fury and instantly shred etc.

CLC ret has this functionality because for all of Wrath till T10 your next ability as a Ret was determined by the CDs remaining on your current abilities. There's still no reason to know, but the information provided is at least accurate. This just isn't true for Enhance, there is no way to know when your 4 SS charges will go away, there is no way to know when your shield will expire, and there is no way to know when your next MSW5 will happen.

It is possible to program a second priority queue, but the secondary queue will be worthless, too many abilities will bypass the secondary queue and go straight into the primary queue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

I can't see any reason why you'd need 5 moves out especially given the large amount of things that can and will quickly change in the full enhancement priority queue on a moments notice. LS charges, MW stacks and Stormstrike debuff stacks can all rapidly change based on the procs that happen and all cause particular abilities to jump up in priority for the next thing to be done.

Deleted

Please anyone who is interested click the guy's name on the left hand side and send a PM. Replies to a thread like this is not a good idea.

It lacks it for a reason, it is utterly pointless information to have. Fornaw gave excellent reasons why. Far too many of our abilities proc randomly and would change our priorities therefore we DO NOT HAVE a predictable set of abilities. So 5 icons out is just plain pointless as it will give the wrong answers 90%+ of the time.

I've already explained how to up the timer if people want to see the icon earlier, and I've explained why this isn't necessarily a good idea.

and what does this have to do with this addon not being able to show the 1st AND 2nd spell in the priority list?
    if the cooldown on SS is 4 seconds left and the cooldown on LL is 5 seconds left then the addon should be able to show 2 icons for
    1. SS 2. LL . It's not like the cooldown on LL is somehow magically going to finish before SS.
    Maelstrom procs is what causes disorder, as the addon cannot predict when it will proc to full and easily through a wrench in the priority queue if you had it display the next two abilities. The simple fact that lightning bolt should always be #1 and that you cannot predict when #1 will be available makes it an indeterminable priority system.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by sicness
    Maelstrom procs is what causes disorder, as the addon cannot predict when it will proc to full and easily through a wrench in the priority queue if you had it display the next two abilities. The simple fact that lightning bolt should always be #1 and that you cannot predict when #1 will be available makes it an indeterminable priority system.
    Not just Maelstrom procs, but Stormstrike debuffs and Lightning Shield procs. All of those are random and have massive effects on our priorities.

I laugh at all Paladins with a Shock&Awe-like add-on. Easy class + Easy add-on = Might aswell not play. :P

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkKentofAzeroth
    I use to use the squak and awe for my boom kin but almost as soon as I used it, I said to myself, this crap is worthless, decided to uninstall and never use it again

it was just a lame excuse to be lazy

but idk anything about this shaman one
    First off. You think juggling: 2 sets of separate cooldowns for 2 of your main abilities, 2 Dots + 1 debuff, 1 to 2 (gear dependent) timers, 3 timers for your clickies (Trees, Starfall, Typhoon), and 4 to 5 timers including cyclone, roots, and natures grasp, plus 2 (possible) trinkets, Natures Swiftness and Omen of clarity. Is lazy?

QFT

but idk anything about this shaman one
    Double QFT
    Battled Rym in an epic thread. About things... things I could go to jailz for

Going to hijack the thread a bit but I've noticed as of late that my SAA doesn't show the purge icon anymore when a purge is needed nor does the window to show a interrupt of a spell show the icon for it anymore as well. Has this happened for anyone else? I've tried a delete and reinstall but this didn't seem to change anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should make a ticket on the curse.com page for shock and awe.
    Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz | MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4-3400 Memory | Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | Samsung - 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card | Corsair - 850W ATX Power Supply | 2 x HP - Omen 27 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit