Thread: Ret DPS advice

Ret DPS advice

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Monsoonmoon

Ret's my offspec, so trinkets/gear are a little harder to come by. I've been poring over that EJ thread for a while now, and can't seem to work out why my DPS is so much lower than other ret pallies in my guild, aside from less than optimal gear.

Priority is Judgement > DS > CS > HoW > Consecration > Exorcism

Any help/criticism is greatly appreciated.

Re: Ret DPS advice

I see nothing wrong, other than your crit chance being alarmingly low (you're sitting at 33% where you should be in the neighborhood of 39%-42% without buffs).

I guess just remember cooldowns like your trinket and avenging wrath. Otherwise... no idea.

Well you are almost expertise capped, so you might want too use consecration/exorcism glyph, even if they arent that good.

A few things:
    Get a real trinket : Mark of Supremacy is really really bad. (even DMC:G is better)
    Get some agi gear: A full plate gear with all those Exp/Arp and other terrible stat combination is meh and cripples your chance to crit.

Aside from that I really can't tell why you'd be low on dps (Rawr shows you at 10.4k fullbuffed and without icc buff), because both the gear and the rotation don't seem to be the problem => maybe you're not rolling your face hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by madmessias
    Well you are almost expertise capped, so you might want too use consecration/exorcism glyph, even if they arent that good.
    The exo glyph is just about as bad as the 2 expertise from SoV - no real upgrade here.

How much dps are we talking about?

To start off your crit is really low, no TAiaJ, Gloves and boots aren't optimal, horrible trinkets
    "No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lvtwo/advanced

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Without hard numbers, it's difficult to say whether or not you are underperforming for your gear.

As far as trinkets go, stick with what you have for now; you can't afford to lose the 128 hit rating on your Mark of Supremacy, so there aren't any options to replace it. If you can get the bracers from 25 Gunship and neck from 25 Lady Deathwhisper, then you could buy a Darkmoon Card: Greatness to replace it with, unless you've gotten one of the better trinkets (Death's Choice/Verdict, Whispering Fanged Skull, Tiny Abomination in a Jar) before then.

Avoid Mirror of Truth at all costs, it's an absolutely awful trinket.

As somebody who is also offspec Retribution, I know how hard it can be to get the items you need to really push your DPS to the level you'd like it to be at, but it's something you just have to do over time as your DPS start to no longer need the items.

What you should aim to do is get your hit rating down to around 263 and your expertise down to 16, which should give you more of the stats that are actually going to improve your DPS. Could take awhile, depending on how quickly you can get upgrades you need to allow you to do that.

One of the biggest problems that ive come across when running with offspec rets is that they dont fully realize the importance of those fractions of a second when abilities are comming of cd.

The biggest way pallies lose dps is by being fractions of a second off when abilities are up. If you figure your average offspec ret is .2 seconds late using there abilities thats going to add up to quite a bit of lost damage over the course of the fight, I would also check for single target damage breakdowns to see if your damage breakdown is significantly different than your main spec rets.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Yeah, I guess I'll start looking for some leather pieces to replace any plate arp pieces I have, and just hope that DC/H:WFS will go offspec soon.

In 25man, I'm usually pulling anywhere from 7-9k dps, whereas the other ret pally is doing 12k+.

I guess I was just wondering if the trinkets are really the problem or whether it's just that I'm not as experienced.

Well, I have to say your definitely doing something wrong. I can do 9k and I am no where near your level of gear, and my ret is off spec as well.

I think it's just a matter of getting used to ret. Sure trinket's aren't the best and could use some upgrade. But mostly what ret comes down to is timing and making the right choice in a matter of seconds. Seeing as it's your offspec you probably don't have the muscle memory to work with ret. imo, go practice on a target dummy and get used to the rotation and the random ds resets.