Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Looking to upgrade CPU and Mobo

Okay so here's my plan, and wanted someone else's opinion on this.

First off, here is my computer atm. As you can tell it's pretty shit.

CPU - Intel Pentium D 820 2.80GHz
    RAM - 2gigs PNY DDR2 PC2-5300 (DDR2 667)
    Graphics Card - PNY Verto NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT PCIe
    Power Supply - RocketFish 550w (Model # RF-550WPS)
    Operating System - Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
    Resolution - 1680x1050
    WoW Settings - Full low

In raids I get about 10-20fps, and that's with barely ANY addons running, and my combat log turned off. It's pretty apparent that my CPU is bottlenecking my system. Right now I'm working with a tight budget of about 250$, and looking to bump up my FPS to about 60-70 in raids if possible. With this upgrade, I'll be upgrading my OS to Windows 7 64-bit, and hopefully in a few months, get better RAM.

I was looking at AMD because it seems I would get more performance for a bit cheaper cost. Right now my budget is at about 250$. So here is the CPU and Mobo I was thinking about buying atm.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103471 - CPU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130265 - Mobo

The motherboard is going to work with my current ram it looks like, but I'll be upgrading to a faster set of 2x 2.0gig sticks. I'd probably use the default heatsink, and it looks like I could increase the speed of the CPU to 3.6ghz with the onboard switch, but would this be a bad idea with the stock heatsink I assume? I have an Antec 900 case, which has really good airflow however. Anyway, are these two going to give me the performance I'm looking for?

I'm hoping to have anywhere from 60-80 fps on medium-high settings (View Distance - Medium, Particle Density - High, Environment Detail High, Shadow Quality - Low) with addons running. This would be about a 50fps upgrade from my current setup. Is this just going to be a waste of money, and should I save up for something else? I really don't have a source of income at the moment, so I probably wouldn't be able to get anything better anytime soon.
    Arcane/Fire Mage - Armory - <Dread>

Live Stream

Re: Looking to upgrade CPU and Mobo

That would definitely be a worthwhile upgrade. The CPU you have now is a few generations old and it is very weak for gaming, especially WoW. You should have no problem getting 60+ fps with your new CPU, especially if you overclock it to 3.6GHz. Although nobody would recommend it, you should be able to do it with stock cooling as long as your room has good AC and your case has decent airflow. Make sure you monitor your load temps closely and do a stress test before leaving it at a desired clock speed. As long as your temps are below 70*C under full load for an extended period of time, you will be fine.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Quote Originally Posted by Obsideus
    The motherboard is going to work with my current ram it looks like, but I'll be upgrading to a faster set of 2x 2.0gig sticks. I'd probably use the default heatsink, and it looks like I could increase the speed of the CPU to 3.6ghz with the onboard switch, but would this be a bad idea with the stock heatsink I assume? I have an Antec 900 case, which has really good airflow however. Anyway, are these two going to give me the performance I'm looking for?
    Its a good processor, although take in consideration that even the AM3 processors fit in AM2+ and can use both DDR2 and DDR3, while being in general younger revisions.
    The OC, well it is a good overclocker, but it isnt a easy one to get realy good results with, specialy with the stock cooler, due to the fact it has a very low temperature top ceiling, the oficial number is 62ºC my can hold stable to 63º, 1º more and it stops being stable. You can get some pretty crazy numbers with it but it realy requires extremely good cooling.
    With stock cooling and paying attention results vary from processor to processor a 3.4 should be guarenteed, with basicaly no voltage change.

This is something I found if you do decide to buy those 2 items.

This chip will not POST if ACC is turned on in your bios (making you think the chip is DOA). Some motherboards were made before this chip and in effect have ACC on in the default bios. ACC is Advanced Clock Control. The Phenom I required ACC on the motherboard, but the Phenom II has it built onto the chip creating confusion for the motherboard. You may need to have an older model AMD socket A2 chip lying around to get your Phenom II to boot properly. So use the older chip, get into the Bios and turn ACC off.

Also I don't recommend overclocking on stock coolers.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh
    This is something I found if you do decide to buy those 2 items.

This chip will not POST if ACC is turned on in your bios (making you think the chip is DOA). Some motherboards were made before this chip and in effect have ACC on in the default bios. ACC is Advanced Clock Control. The Phenom I required ACC on the motherboard, but the Phenom II has it built onto the chip creating confusion for the motherboard. You may need to have an older model AMD socket A2 chip lying around to get your Phenom II to boot properly. So use the older chip, get into the Bios and turn ACC off.

Also I don't recommend overclocking on stock coolers.
    Right now I have a Zalman cooler, not sure the model #, so I may wait a few months to get a cooler, and then OC it. Also I'm pretty sure that the board comes with ACC off by default, but maybe I'm wrong.

Live Stream

Right now I have a Zalman cooler, not sure the model #, so I may wait a few months to get a cooler, and then OC it. Also I'm pretty sure that the board comes with ACC off by default, but maybe I'm wrong.
    I wouldnt worry with that, I bought my board at the same time the 940 was released, and had no problem with it, by now that problem should have disappered all togheter.
    The only thing you must worry while OC its temperatures, and even so its not like the processor will melt, if you exeed the max either you get a crash or it throttles down, although I have no idea at wich temperature PII actualy throtle down, like I said if i reach 65º in my is a guarenteed crash, but still no throttle, but those temperatures are far from harming the processor, realy far.
    Basicaly the better cooling you have the more you can OC, that doesnt mean you cant overclock nothing with even stock, and btw try to make a benchmark with the stock cooler before instaling the Zalman, if you have the Zalman im thinking you may be better with the stock cooler.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Enola
    I wouldnt worry with that, I bought my board at the same time the 940 was released, and had no problem with it, by now that problem should have disappered all togheter.
    The only thing you must worry while OC its temperatures, and even so its not like the processor will melt, if you exeed the max either you get a crash or it throttles down, although I have no idea at wich temperature PII actualy throtle down, like I said if i reach 65º in my is a guarenteed crash, but still no throttle, but those temperatures are far from harming the processor, realy far.
    Basicaly the better cooling you have the more you can OC, that doesnt mean you cant overclock nothing with even stock, and btw try to make a benchmark with the stock cooler before instaling the Zalman, if you have the Zalman im thinking you may be better with the stock cooler.
    What tools should I use to see if I am overclocking too much, or if I have more potential. This will be my first time ever attempting to overclock something. Also could someone explain to me what each switch does, as their are two. Also as far as the Zalman, its on my LGA 775 socket, and I doubt it will fit the AMD board. So I'm going to be using a stock cooler for the time being. I'm also pretty clueless about what I need to do within the bios to overclock if needed.

Live Stream

What tools should I use to see if I am overclocking too much, or if I have more potential. This will be my first time ever attempting to overclock something. Also could someone explain to me what each switch does, as their are two. Also as far as the Zalman, its on my LGA 775 socket, and I doubt it will fit the AMD board. So I'm going to be using a stock cooler for the time being. I'm also pretty clueless about what I need to do within the bios to overclock if needed.
    Well I would advise you to go trough:
    http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/36...ml#post4234952
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/phenom...l#xtor=RSS-142
    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=596023

The 2 lasts links are probably the best guides around, but some of the stuff will be a bit hard to digest to beginners, in general go to overclocker.net to get info.
    You will need, CPU-Z, its invaluable, some temperature monitor, HWmonitor gives me the best more complete readings, with SpeedFan its a bit of a mess and both SpeedFan and Coretemp only give me the core temperature, may be diferent to you its a bit dependent on Motherboard and Bios, and a stress test, personaly while tuning I prefer IntelBurn, OCCT is awesome but gives the dam 1min Idle before each test and Im not very patient, so I use it only at end, IntelBurn uses the same procedure has OCCT on its good test (linpack) but its simpler, easyer faster acess.
    And I would strongly advise AMD Overdrive, will save you a lot of time.
    I could give you pointers and say more, but realy those guides do it better then I am able, but has a side note:
    disable Cool and Quiet and C1E on the bios.
    PII prefer cold over voltage
    Use PhenomMsrTweaker instead of Cool and Quiet, its just awesome and will make your processor consume less and last a lot longer.
    Dont always trust the reading one program gives you, use several
    Spend some time analyzing OCCT graphics.
    Trough tuning you will go trough loads of blue screen, crashes, etc, dont be scared its normal
    If your PC stops booting completely you will probably need to do a CLear CMOS, consult you mother board manual to do that.
    And make sure your system is stable with a long stress test at the end, its better to loose a few Mghz then to have a unstable pc.

10+ Year Old Account

Upgraded to E7300 C2D and along with GF9600 i get 50+ fps in raids with high details on your resolution. I'd suggest spending your 120 - 160 on something alike to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115037. Real performance boost and most of new games do not require that much of a processing power anyways ( except for WoW that is, but this will be more than sufficent coming along with your 9800 ) and I suggest saving your money and waiting until the GF260+ and i7s get cheap, as its still kinda new tech and goes for damn lotz of cash. That's just your ordinary guy's PoV.

Good luck with upgrading!

Quote Originally Posted by nicator
    Upgraded to E7300 C2D and along with GF9600 i get 50+ fps in raids with high details on your resolution. I'd suggest spending your 120 - 160 on something alike to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115037. Real performance boost and most of new games do not require that much of a processing power anyways ( except for WoW that is, but this will be more than sufficent coming along with your 9800 ) and I suggest saving your money and waiting until the GF260+ and i7s get cheap, as its still kinda new tech and goes for damn lotz of cash. That's just your ordinary guy's PoV.

I would not recommend that CPU unless your current mobo supports it. There is no reason to pick that CPU over a quad core phenom at the same clock speed. A Phenom is very likely to outperform that Core 2 Duo in gaming, and everything else while being a little bit cheaper than the Core 2 Duo.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by nwo
    I would not recommend that CPU unless your current mobo supports it. There is no reason to pick that CPU over a quad core phenom at the same clock speed. A Phenom is very likely to outperform that Core 2 Duo in gaming, and everything else while being a little bit cheaper than the Core 2 Duo.
    Plus, nicator is full of shit with his framerate quotes.

10+ Year Old Account

One thing to consider too is that that board doesn't support DDR3. Might as well spend just a few more dollars to get something a little more future proof now (save more $ in the long run that way)... other than that, get as much as you can afford, if you can hit at least a 955, do it. The more mhz you can pull off, the better performance you're gonna see it WoW overall- (all other things being equal, that is)

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Erik765
    One thing to consider too is that that board doesn't support DDR3. Might as well spend just a few more dollars to get something a little more future proof now (save more $ in the long run that way)... other than that, get as much as you can afford, if you can hit at least a 955, do it. The more mhz you can pull off, the better performance you're gonna see it WoW overall- (all other things being equal, that is)
    Thing is that the ram I have is DDR2, and I really cant afford an extra $100 to pick up 4gigs of ram atm. Unless DDR3 is backwards compatible?

Live Stream

10+ Year Old Account

It is not backwards compatible.

15+ Year Old Account

it's pointless to upgrade parts of your system unless its ram or gpu.

save your money, wait a whle, and buy a whole new computer. mobo and cpu are half the cost of a new computer anyways
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll
    it's pointless to upgrade parts of your system unless its ram or gpu.
    You couldn't be more wrong. The CPU the OP currently has is extremely outdated and it is not suitable for today's gaming. Therefore, a CPU and mobo upgrade would certainly be useful and beneficial.

15+ Year Old Account

so is the graphics card, power supply, memory, etc., etc

if you're going to use old components like that upgrade to a core 2 duo so that you can use the same mobo (assuming you can, usually pentium d and core 2 duo can be used on the same mobo
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    Plus, nicator is full of shit with his framerate quotes.
    Haha man, ever told ya that WoW got released in 2004? Whoa. I can do dailies even on a freaking netbook FFS. Unless you're all insanely into 50x Antialiasing and Vertical Sync, then I guess I just can't help you.

Haha man, ever told ya that WoW got released in 2004? Whoa. I can do dailies even on a freaking netbook FFS. Unless you're all insanely into 50x Antialiasing and Vertical Sync, then I guess I just can't help you.
    Sorry man I have to agree with Cilraaz. Also what does being released in 2004 have to do with anything? Now your saying dailies before you stated 50+ fps in 25 mans I believe that is what Cilraaz was referring to and I agree.

hahahahahaha..... don`t know where to start or end on this one, so im not even going to trye....... Cilraaz said is nicely enough.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: