Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Warlocks and priests channelling through walls.

Does anyone else think this should be fixed as its game breaking.

I was fighting a spriest on my shaman, and I kept getting mind flay spammed on me with all the loldots so i was taking like 2k dps from a level 69 priest, while i could do nothing while feared around a corner with a mind flay still hitting me, I think it should stop channeling when someone uses los.

Re: Warlocks and priests channelling through walls.

working as intended. In arena a lot of times I have less than a second to dps or mana drain a healer, especially with a slow on me. If they took out los drains then they would have to take out slows, which would make casters lolop. It's not like they can start the channel when you're los, it just completes the duration when you run los. And it's just the visual of it going through a pillar, would you feel better if it wrapped around the pillar instead of going through it? It's no different than being across the arena and the player gets a chaos bolt/lava burst/frost bolt off then you run los after it's cast and it still hits you...

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinsback
    working as intended. In arena a lot of times I have less than a second to dps or mana drain a healer, especially with a slow on me. If they took out los drains then they would have to take out slows, which would make casters lolop. It's not like they can start the channel when you're los, it just completes the duration when you run los. And it's just the visual of it going through a pillar, would you feel better if it wrapped around the pillar instead of going through it? It's no different than being across the arena and the player gets a chaos bolt/lava burst/frost bolt off then you run los after it's cast and it still hits you...
    I was hit by the mind flay while around the corner because if you have crap internet it seems to register your spells faster, hence why he could hit me when I was behind los.
    If they channel before your behind los and then you go behind los it should cancel the spell out.

No.

Do your diseases stop doing dmg once you're out of los? Does any spell with a travel time stop mid flight once they get cast if target goes out of los?

I'm pretty sure Blizzard would like to fix this, it's just that it's probably a giant pain in the ass to fix and comes with a lot of overhead.

Instead of doing a LoS check just as the spell is being cast, like every other spell or attack/buff in the game, they would have to check for LoS multiple times during the duration of the channel and it's probably just too expensive CPU wise.

Also, when you do shorter interval checks for things like LoS you get really funky results with dead reckoning caused by different latencies to the server from both players. The likely result even if they did try to implement something would be unstable and unpredictable and end up screwing the person with the channeled spell over more than the person getting channeled, leaving the person with the channeled spell wondering why the hell he should have to use such a broken spell in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by dakalro
    Do your diseases stop doing dmg once you're out of los? Does any spell with a travel time stop mid flight once they get cast if target goes out of los?
    That's a bad argument. Channeled spells are not the same as projectiles or debuffs, that's the entire point of this post.

So, the point... you missed it.

Deleted

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
    Q Q Q Q
    Q Q Q Q
    Q Q Q Q
    Q Q Q Q
    Q Q Q Q
    Q Q Q Q Q Q
    Q Q Q Q Q Q
    QQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
    Q Q
    Q Q

i agree totally with Merlinsback

It really is fine though
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!

You're a shaman and you got stuck in a fear?

OT: Every channeled spell if started in LoS will continue its duration even through walls unless : They stop the cast, It gets ranged, It gets interrupted, or it gets dispelled

Quote Originally Posted by Vindislayer
    I'm pretty sure Blizzard would like to fix this, it's just that it's probably a giant pain in the ass to fix and comes with a lot of overhead.

Instead of doing a LoS check just as the spell is being cast, like every other spell or attack/buff in the game, they would have to check for LoS multiple times during the duration of the channel and it's probably just too expensive CPU wise.

Also, when you do shorter interval checks for things like LoS you get really funky results with dead reckoning caused by different latencies to the server from both players. The likely result even if they did try to implement something would be unstable and unpredictable and end up screwing the person with the channeled spell over more than the person getting channeled, leaving the person with the channeled spell wondering why the hell he should have to use such a broken spell in the first place.
    Nope they wouldnt like to fix it.. Channeled spells like mindflay, drain life/soul/mana or even arcane missiles.. Go through the walls cause they are essentially a dot with a channel time..

When it hits the opponent he gets a debuff saying it ticks for X its a dot.. The only difference is the warlock has to channel to make the dot do dmg and even tho your out of LOS the warlock cant do anything else while channeling he cannot cast fears or dots on other people for the duration.. So the lock/priest also sacrifises something to get this effect... That is why it is working as intended.. If they were to fix this warlock and priest dots would have to stop dmging when people run out of los of the caster..

Cause they are essentially dots with a channel.

Why? The spell was successfully cast, and successfully landed. There are enough interrupts in the game already, and channels are already the easiest spell to interrupt... kick, pummle,mind freeze, counterspell, spell lock, wind sheer, charge, intercept, death grip, feral charge, feral leap, and with most of those you are locked out of the school for 2-6 seconds + you lose channeling time when you are hit... y not just take channels out of the game all together? Make them so the same amount of damage and they are instant cast! I'd take that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ttam
    You're a shaman and you got stuck in a fear?
    I heard 5 health is a lot.

Look who's back again!

I've played a warlock for 5 years. The only way a warlock or shadow priest is able to drain/flay you while it SEEMS like you were already behind boxes in dalaran/the grave in RoL/ the pillars in Nagrand etc.... is because of game lag. Just like the same way you if you are in a boss encounter and the entire raid needs to move you might feel like a fucking pro because you are like 10 yards ahead of everyone else... you are not. There is lag between you and the server there is lag between them and the server, obviously you're able to see the changes you make register to the server and come back to you before you see the changes that another player makes get to the server and come back to you.

If channeled spells did not continue to work through LoS they would not hardly be worth using. If you get a giant chaos bolt of doom off as someone goes around the corner the game doesn't just go "Fuck there's a wall there" and your chaos bolt blow up... it continues to hit you through the wall for like 11k.

And you lost to a 69 priest...?
    Hide behind a little Bloodelf Paladin?!? Ridiculous! Make way for the Beef of Light! I will shield you, little ones, and should I fall, remember that I taste amazing with Mustard.

Quote Originally Posted by Galith
    it continues to hit you through the wall for like 11k.
    I have never seen an 11k chaos bolt on me...oh wait, I use resilience.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorlor
    I heard 5 health is a lot.
    I heard Tremor Totem only has a global cooldown and if you don't spam the shit out of it you're a bad shaman. Good shamans drop a new tremor totem every time I: target the tremor totem, I am anywhere near the tremor totem, my pet is anywhere near the tremor totem, or me or my pet is moving in the direction of the totem. And he got hit by a priest fear... a PRIEST fear... which is like.. 25-30 second cd? Where he has to run and stand on top of you? *Priest charges straight at you* "I WONDER WHAT'S COMING NEXT!?!?"
    Hide behind a little Bloodelf Paladin?!? Ridiculous! Make way for the Beef of Light! I will shield you, little ones, and should I fall, remember that I taste amazing with Mustard.

its working as intended.
    If your raid is bad, bind your Hyperspeed Accelerator to hearthstone!

Deleted

Play a Lock or Priest and you'll see how frustrating it would be if your changed would be implemented.

Thread ended.

I think Blizzard should make it have a wrap around effect. That would be cool.

I suppose the next QQ will be that we shouldn't be able to spin circles while filling our bags with soul shards on target dummies.

That would be a sad day.

I know your $14.99 entitles you to play the game your way, but the rest of the raid's $359.76 says know your role.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traejun
    I've blown up punk ass dragons before...I'll do it again.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Galith
    *Priest charges straight at you* "I WONDER WHAT'S COMING NEXT!?!?"
    awesome