Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

Re: Warlocks and priests channelling through walls.

Speaking as a player of classes that have channeled goodies and non-channeled goodies...

Channeling is a double edged sword, it isn't "Oh you LOS and he gets free damage!" that you make it out to be, maybe in a perfect world for the priest/warlock but its not a perfect world.

Lets consider. Your downsides when you LOS but have said channeled thing on you.

1) You're taking damage still, yes bad.
    2) You can't see them to use an interrupt if you free from CC. Also bad.

Now consider the downsides of the person channeling.

1) Standing still.
    2) Cannot cast other spells during channel.
    3) Channel is range leashed, unlike dots it breaks the moment target leaves the range.
    4) Makes a big glowy line that is more effective at drawing fire then the giant arrow of a hunter's mark.
    5) Is nearly always the primary spell school for the user, thus if interrupted locks down most all of the useful abilities of caster..

Now since you're talking arenas vs a priest...

1) You're an elemental shaman, grounding totem locks down priests fairly strongly from my old forays into shadowdom (I prefer healing though) as dots don't hit it and the priest has to totally stop moving to cast a mind blast, or throw a SW which is a cooldown.

2) If he's doing that he can't just hit your tremor totem as he's likely not targeting it.

3) If he's frost shocked probably gonna waste a global cooldown to dispel, meaning not immediately hitting your grounding.

4) Thunderthrowing him away before he can get to fear range not a possibility?

5) If said priest is spamming dots at you while running up he's using all of the GCDs (well their two dots, one is cast afterall which why didn't you wind shear it?)

6) If you trinket the priest's fear you're likely gonna be able to play turret wars with him now, which an ele shaman is apt to win.

7) If you're in an arena where the hell is your team during this? Are both teams just like "Oh snap son, shaman versus priest, lets step aside and watch!"

Shadow priests aren't the omg super power houses you seem to be making them out to be no more then a ele shaman is. If you're right next to those oh so weak totems maybe you need to drop them to the side a bit so it isn't so easy to take them out.

Shadow priest damage is easily mitigated by that wonderful thing called dispelling. Since all but ONE of their dots is magic. Your comp sounds more the issue then the actual class...especially if your warrior is having issues violating the priest's face off.

Sadly my times in arenas are lacking once my priest fell out of favor for my love of tanking instances so some of my knowledge might be slightly dated.
    Mage, Priest, Paladin
    And working on a DK!

Only time ive ever seen it abused is with lock on bridge arena, pairing with a pushback class just lolling at my ret partner while i get cced to watch his mana destroyed. Seemed unfair that he had to spend 10+ seconds every time he got pushed off getting his mana raped while i get rooted/cycloned/feared/charmed.

but then i think that arena is particularly advantageous to certain combos anyway.
    Never argue with and idiot. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Some people should be forced to re-level their toons, and pay more attention to the process...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivpiv
    IF what your saying is what it should be then if a mage cast a fireball or a pyroblast and you line of sight it while its in the air.. IT should smack into the object that your hiding behind and there for do no dmg to you.. That will NEVER and i repeat NEVER happen.. That would simply be too up and the only possible counter to this would be if a mage actually hit you with a spell it should be an instant kill.. Neither will ever happen due to balancing issues.

They are working like they should.. And they are essentially a dot that requires channeling to keep up.. If you cant see the logic in that, then i can't help you.. They work exactly like corruption and curse of agony does.. Ticks dmg ever 1-3 second.. Same thing. Its not like you have to channel on the target for 5 seconds and then you recieve a ton of dmg.. Then it would be like a pyro..

Learn the difference and get back to me when you know how the game works..
    LoS is determined upon finishing the cast. Where the target is on his client and where the caster is on his client at that time can be out of LoS of each other, but due to dead reckoning on the server's end actually are in LoS and the spell goes through. Let's say the spell being cast was a pyroblast; in this situation the pyroblast would appear to go through the wall hitting the target. This happens for two reasons. One is that projectiles track the player and the player is probably moving behind an object. The other is that the DR calculation is already done, and succeeded meaning the pyroblast hits the target regardless of the obstruction.

I've written DR, I've written projectiles into a 3D enviroment, you sir, do not know what the hell you are talking about. You are interpreting the situation backwards, saying the cause (intentional bypassing of LoS) is actually due to the effect (channeled spell not needing LoS to work). Obviously that is a fallacy due to the fact that LoS is required to apply the channel. You are also making a false equivalency between debuffs and channeled spells using the similarity between damage dealing intervals. If that were the case, then my melee swings on a target are the same as a DoT, unless of course I use a 2hander which has a long interval between damage but larger damage (lol pyroblast).

Your logic is all over the place, you're trying to equivocate things that aren't the same, or meant to behave the same. Channeled spells go through walls and LoS because if they didn't they would be useless. It's how they were coded into the game, on purpose. It is working as intended, I stated that multiple times. You are trying to define something by defining other things and making arbitrary comparisons.

Anyways, arguing on the internet rarely results in anybody learning anything. OT: Working as intended, false comparisons and stupid analogies aside.

Quote Originally Posted by K4ge
    It was changed to 20% and mana damage also counts toward this
    source please...

Don't really believe it because most caster's base hp is around 7k, 20% of 7k is 1.4k, meaning fear would break with 1 dot tick...

If you got Aids, you don't hide behind a wall to cure yourself, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Dollplaylol
    If you got Aids, you don't hide behind a wall to cure yourself, sorry
    I lold
    But don't break channelings advantages when it already has many many disadvantages, as someone previously stated.
    It's just fine.

Channeling spells are DoTs that you have to cast to keep it up. That's how they're designed. Once you have LoS of a target you can cast any DoT or Channeling and it will continue to damage even when out of LoS. Channeling spells but also have a ranged requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorlor
    If I freecast, it's healing the warrior or uselessly attempting to CC so the warrior can live, since SP damage is so stupid.
    Yup and Ele shamans are fine?
    Dispel FS? np, 30% haste.

My shaman is in furious and i hit 2.1k (2.2k this weekend) with my spriests teamates alts playing Arms/Hpal/Ele. It was neat, never loss to an spriest team other than shatterplay. But BG9 sucks so I must be playing bad Spriests.

god why dont u just wind seer before u LoS him insted of comingto this forum

Seems like this topic is going in many directions.. mainly a shaman vs priest fight.. just the typical "let's go off-topic" kind of thing you see almost all the time really..

On topic:
    Channeled spells are being channeled through walls.
    is this op or not?

You need to get rid of all the other aspects for a second then..
    Does it matter that you were feared? not really since it's not about that. does it matter that you're a shaman? not exactly since anyone can be targetted by a channelling spell and then go out of LoS one way or another right?

Should channeling spells stop when someone goes behind a pillar?
    Perhaps.. but in a lot of cases this would make the channeling spells too weak and then they'll most likely just be turned into either dots, casts or such powerful channels that it's worth it when you can pull it off.
    So I'd say.. leave it as it is. Just look at them as DoTs that require the caster to stand still for x seconds, which can be used to your advantage.. defenitly in group fights - which this game is balanced around according to blizzard.

Off topic:
    - Just so I can say my share in this aswel..
    this game is not about 1v1.. don't look at it that way..
    You can go into the finest detail about what someone should have done..like spam tremor totem and counter that with but my GCD and whatnot.. in the end it doesn't matter.
    Noone plays perfect fights all the time... well maybe some people do but then they deserve to win right? Its just a plain fact that with certain setups you can't make mistakes against a certain other setup.
    Does that make the other setup overpowered? perhaps.. but perhaps only against the setup you're playing.

People are so easy with complaining about other classes who hit them right in their weakspots and whatnot without having played the class themselves.

I'm not saying wow is balanced because it's not.. it can't be. there are simply too many things to balance it around.. the players want it all.. balance around 1v1,3v3,5v5, BGs, PvE, Raids the whole lot. That's simply not going to happen. But Blizzard is doing a fairly good job.. sure there are things I don't get either but most of the time if you look at it from a multi-class perspective.. you can see what they did thar!

that's just my 2c

You forgot to mention arcane missiles from mages as well.

PS no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleficious View Post
    Combat wasn't good before 4.0.1 too, it was only the best spec on 3.2, also its boring as hell...

We, I see only one problem : I don't mind if channeled spells go trough walls. But the drainsoul with its 1000secs duration is very annoying, perhaps they could just lower the channeling time and make a shorter base time. This would be an easy way to fix it without nerfing the spell.