Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: Mage Leveling Absurdly Boring - Please Help!

Spec FIRE, much more fun.

RONG WHIT DOG!

Questing boring ? what do you mean. you only do all the quest for the 10th time or so?

I have leveled 7 classes to 80.. and after the new wears off of them... it's all boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Amgyn
    I agree 100% with you.

Mage leveling is boring as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Värgen
    Weekend BG gives an insane amount of xp at the low levels. Of course it all comes down to your server, how long it takes for you to get inside and how often you win.

At Ravencrest EU the BG queue is usually instant for Alliance when there is a Weekend BG.
    Other than that it aint much to it. Enchants helps abit, especially the one for pants, and massing spellpower boe's is also great for frostbolt imbaness.

I've leveled every class, and by far, mage, druid and priests are the slowest to level. However, both druid and priest rapidly get's better past level 40/50, while mage is more or less the same until level 80 (ice lance helps).
    I would say you're doing it wrong...

@OP: As pretty much everyone that actually have played a mage would say, leveling a mage as frost is AoE grindfest, round 'em up and blizz 'em down. Now just leveling isn't something i would recommend though, a mage has a multitude of abilities (esp after 60) which would be good to learn as you level, otherwise you will just be, as you yourself stated, a frostbolt spamming nab.
    Just stick with AoE grind up to 60, then you will get a fairly big load of abilities to play with. If you want to try something different i recommend leveling in LFG system, that way you can get to know the class a bit better.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcatchris
    also, we're not glass cannons anymore, we haven't been for ages. either that or everyone is a cannon, and some are plate cannons.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Am I the only one here that enjoyed levelling my mage?
    Better than the goddamned paladin, I'll tell you that.

10+ Year Old Account

Welcome to leveling a low level class of any kind.
    Look! Words!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Re-roll a Warlock and here's a video to explain why...
    Skullmaster - Slathe - Duat - Tamriel

Absolutely everything happens for a reason - Omnia Causa Fiunt.

Deleted

Go fire. Take mobs to ledges. Blast wave. Hilarity ensues.

That video is exactly why I DON'T play my lock more... because so many locks actually "feel" that way.. (and sound like that dude too) lol

Quote Originally Posted by Skullmaster
    Re-roll a Warlock and here's a video to explain why...

Quote Originally Posted by Värgen
    Weekend BG gives an insane amount of xp at the low levels. Of course it all comes down to your server, how long it takes for you to get inside and how often you win.

At Ravencrest EU the BG queue is usually instant for Alliance when there is a Weekend BG.
    Other than that it aint much to it. Enchants helps abit, especially the one for pants, and massing spellpower boe's is also great for frostbolt imbaness.

I've leveled every class, and by far, mage, druid and priests are the slowest to level. However, both druid and priest rapidly get's better past level 40/50, while mage is more or less the same until level 80 (ice lance helps).
    I wouldn't say druids are slow to level past level 10... once you get bear form, it's all down hill, once you hit level 20 and get cat form, it is one of the most efficient grinding machines known to man, once you hit level 50 and learn mangle... well...

To let you know where I'm coming from, I've leveled:

A: Holy Priest 1-80 (Holy Entire time, I was a glutton for punishment, and since he's my main, I put up with the boredom of Holy leveling.)
    B: Hunter - my favorite leveling experience of all time, I adored leveling this toon.
    C: Feral Druid - My newest tank, I leveled her last summer as Feral Kitty, which, while slow till 20, became fun with Cat form.

At least my Priest had the option of Mind Blast, Smite, Holy Fire, Shadow Word Pain, and (back in the day - Starshards) by level 20.

I may just be tempted into rerolling a 'lock for my 4th 80.

I've tried leveling a mage 5 times now and have deleted all 5 pre level 28, just trying to be proactive and find a better way of leveling that is *gasp* Fun!

Mage was alright, then again, I was fire doing the Pyro > scorch x N. It was back when the stun was a proc and from any fire spell.

Of those I've leveled to 60+ (no druid but multiple of some classes) it's on a solid middle ground. Not the most entertaining nor efficient. But definately far from the worst/most boring.
    "He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool." — Brigham Young

Quote Originally Posted by gotpriest
    To let you know where I'm coming from, I've leveled:

A: Holy Priest 1-80 (Holy Entire time, I was a glutton for punishment, and since he's my main, I put up with the boredom of Holy leveling.)
    B: Hunter - my favorite leveling experience of all time, I adored leveling this toon.
    C: Feral Druid - My newest tank, I leveled her last summer as Feral Kitty, which, while slow till 20, became fun with Cat form.

At least my Priest had the option of Mind Blast, Smite, Holy Fire, Shadow Word Pain, and (back in the day - Starshards) by level 20.

I may just be tempted into rerolling a 'lock for my 4th 80.

I've tried leveling a mage 5 times now and have deleted all 5 pre level 28, just trying to be proactive and find a better way of leveling that is *gasp* Fun!
    That is your problem, leveling doesn't have any sense of fun after the second, maybe third time you do it. If you know how to play a frost mage, you can level insanely fast. It's basically just frostbolt spam. I hardly ever did large AoE pulls on my mage, just spammed frostbolt (along with deep freeze and ice lance at higher levels) I dinged 80 after about 5 days.

Go to a town, pick up all quests, complete all quests, win. Frost mages don't do good dps, but they do very good burst dps with frostbolt, especially with later talents. The only thing for me that helps with leveling is looping my favorite music for hours on end. The best way to level ANY class is to just tab back into the game and do it.

I've leveled 6 characters to 80, so I've learned how to do it fast. The secret is that there is no secret. Also, rogue had to be the hardest and worst leveling experience I've ever had.

In case no-one else has mentioned it, get 2x the BoA caster trinkets, they stack for insane mana regen on AoE grinding.
    "I'm a beaver in a hole, if you don't know what that is then I feel sorry for you"

Roll lock and don't look back.

I had the same problem, switched from frost to fire and haven't looked back. IMO frost is the most boring spec in the entire game, fire is a lot better.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Been mentioned before buuuut for good meassure:
    Respec to AoE and go nuts. People who claim mages are slow to lvl just havent done their homework, coz it goes insanely fast. Another plus is that frost mages can solo pretty much any group quest tossed at them, so you dont have to spam general all day to get someone to assist you.

Going fire is better if you wanna spend 100 days lvlin up since the aoe capeability is just too weak compared to frost (no slow while aoeing).

If i were you id start questing, but at the same time queue for every dungeon you can using the random LFG tool. Find a good spot with lots of melee mobs, gather them up, aoe them down and presto before you know it your in outlands.

Once you hit 70 buy dual spec, and spec arcane. Whenever you get bored just switch specs.

Whatever you do: DONT GIVE UP.

mage is the most fun class at 80, all that leveling pays off. trust me.
    "Hard work never killed any body, But why take a chance?" - Edgar Bergen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyro
    Pull 5 mobs, blizzard, fireworks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesingwary-Eliada View Post
    Basically, my last guild leader was a wheel-chair bound Mexican who wanted to be Black, posted pictures of his dad claiming it was him, had the hots for his sister, created a fantasy in which his sister was his wife and that they had twin daughters together, and thought he was an FBI agent.