Star Wars Galaxies

i posted this in another thread but I'm looking to see if there is anyone else who has played it.

Star Wars Galaxies. It had sooo many great ideas but ohhh man did if fail hard. Shoot you couldn't even have vehicles in game till 4 or 5 months after release and even then your vehicle could be targeted and destroyed by any tool that wanted to destroy it.

-Almost all ur quests came from the same terminal.
    -As big as the "Galaxy" was only a few cities on some planets EVER had ppl in
    them.
    -The landscape was totally boreing and generic.
    -The space aspect was cool but you had to pay for a x-pac to get it.
    -The grind to be a Jedi changed to many times to count.
    -Then once u got ur Jedi unlocked you could only die 3 times other wise your toon
    would really die and no longer be playable. (Yeah thats right..perma-death)

But the biggest kick in the balls was with the famous "Combat Upgrade" Totally changed the game. (I'm serious. The entire UI, Combat, Class Mechanics were changed and jedi were availiable to everyone which imo should have been implamented since release. So the server pop went from .1% jedi to 90% overnight)

I can think of a whole bunch more but i don't want to take up this whole thread

Re: Star Wars Galaxies

I played SWG's for a few months. It was fun to play, and I really enjoyed the space combat.

But then Sony Online Entertainment bought it, and decided to toy with its successful game-play and tried to turn it into a MMOFPS or something fail like that. Because of this, the community bailed on the game, along with myself a month later when I found myself only doing Space Combat and thought ground combat was annoying.

This will be lengthy.

I was a cheapskate then and simply played it through trials. By the time i played it for about five days, i got a little tired of it. Aside from the beta, I think i used up four trials, spanning the start of the game, to months after, to the expansion, to NGE.

I'm a big fan of the Star Wars universe, and i liked it, but i didn't really see myself being a regular. All i wanted was some stormtrooper armor, and it looked like you needed to grind for an obscene amount of time to get pieces of armor DESPITE the fact the colorable ceramite(?) armor seemed to be the best armor you could get.

I did like the space expansion though when it came out, it took me back to Tie Fighter. I played Tie Fighter all the time when i was a kid, so it brought back memories. I would have liked to at least fly around in a Tie Advanced (or Tie Avenger), but hey, 7 day trials.

I decided to try another trial when the NGE update came out, and i absolutely hated it. It changed so much, and it seems for veterans that it did much worse than good, like restricting you from using damn near all the weapons you have earned or created. Must've been worse for the entertainers though, poor bastards.

Well, even if i became a regular, i definitely would not have gone through such lengths to become a Jedi. However, i definitely feel bad for the people who went through absolute hell to become one, and then having the patch let anyone become a Jedi.

It went from "It was okay" to "A massive fuck you, courtesy of SoE" overnight with NGE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

Having played in both the beta and retail, not constantly though, I can also attest to the CU/NGE sucking bantha balls.

It was a very ambitious project from the start, but the worst choice they ever made was making Jedi a grind. Then they handed them to you.

Force Sensitivity should have been on a GM assigned basis (without the playerbase knowing this) not based on random professions, and certainly not something players could knowingly work toward. The Holocrons pointing people towards it were a stupid idea, and the ability to START as a Jedi was retarded beyond belief. Turned Star Wars: Galaxies into Star Wars: Everyone is a Jedi.

Really enjoyed the game back in beta and early retail. Only ever played CU/NGE because I still knew people who played. Spent most of that time tinkering with ships.

I know long-term players who stuck with it out of sheer stubbornness, and had lost all love for the game.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Is the game still going? I can't imagin they would have a very big player base anymore....

Quote Originally Posted by Foamybeers
    Is the game still going? I can't imagin they would have a very big player base anymore....
    They are still going, hardly anyone plays it, and those who do are ignorant in the fact that the game is dead. From what I've heard, they changed the game around so much that it is more like WoW than what it originally was. With Talent Trees and the such.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    I played SWG's for a few months. It was fun to play, and I really enjoyed the space combat.

But then Sony Online Entertainment bought it, and decided to toy with its successful game-play and tried to turn it into a MMOFPS or something fail like that. Because of this, the community bailed on the game, along with myself a month later when I found myself only doing Space Combat and thought ground combat was annoying.
    Sony Online Entertainment never bought SWG, they created it.