Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

HudMap, Facebook / Twitter / IRC

Addon Spotlight - HudMap
    It's time to talk about another addon on the front page! With the recent news of AVR and AVRe removal with Patch 3.3.5 I figured it might be the right time to mention HudMap. It will probably remind you of AVR in some ways but this addon is different and so far it looks like Blizzard will tolerate it.

What is it?
    HudMap is an addon that provides a true heads-up tactical display of an encounter, with raid member positions, range data, debuff area-of-effect indicators, and more.

Additionally, HudMap ships with totem radius indicators. In general, if you want to do range or player-to-player directional stuff, HudMap's your huckleberry.

Can I use this in to replace AVRe?
    Possibly. You can use it in a similar manner, though it definitely takes a very different approach to information display. HudMap is designed to give you proximity awareness of your partymates and areas that are potentially hazardous due to proximity or some other effect that boss mods generally warn you about. In that sense, yes, it's a replacement.

However, HudMap is not going to let you annotate the world, add additional data over physical locations, or let you draw obscene pictures on Arthas before you pull him. HudMap does nothing to emulate or project 3D data, and never will. Additionally, feature parity is not a goal of the project - some information is better presented in AVR than it will ever be in HudMap, and I'm not going to try to replicate that. Other data will fit HudMap better naturally, and those pieces will be actively pursued.

Is this addon going to get banned because Blizzard doesn't like AVR?
    To head off the inevitable, I've asked Blizzard if this is kosher in light of the AVR breakage. They have not indicated that it is a violation of the rules. Until they indicate otherwise, HudMap will be developed and updated. The impression I get is that Blizzard's primary complaint was with AVR's ability to draw pseudo-3D images over the game world, which is outside of the scope of what the UI was intended to be able to do. HudMap doesn't do any of that.

Extending HudMap
    Have an idea for a range feature? It's easy to implement one. Just see modules\example.lua for a simple framework upon which you can build your own modules.

HTML Code:
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NUpogpnGjiM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NUpogpnGjiM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

HTML Code:
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xsgGuEYyOzQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xsgGuEYyOzQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Let's socialize!
    We're at the end of a very long and very calm week-end and we all reached the point where we just need more people to hug. If you're not into hugs, it's also a wonderful opportunity to start working on a plan to take over the world.

That's why I finally created a Facebook fan page for MMO-Champion! Technically we already had a MMO-Champion group but I couldn't do much with it, the fan page might actually let me do a few interesting things.

On a slightly more personal level, I also decided to create a Twitter account and fight my fear of social networking. It will probably take a few days to get used to it but it looks like there are also a couple of fun things to do with Twitter.

MMO-Champion IRC Channel
    Last but not least, if you really aren't afraid of strange people, come and say hi on IRC! If you're not sure about how to join us, just read:

I also uploaded last month statistics just for fun.

Re: HudMap, Facebook / Twitter / IRC

Nice finaly mmoc on twitter . Can recommend tweetdeck as desktop client and twidroid as mobile client 8)

World of Warcraft: Map || Screenshots

10+ Year Old Account

MMO-C liked of Facebook!

9th person to like it xD
    Summergale 85 Paladin - Holy/Prot dual specced.
    The Insane Progress:
    Steamweedle: Exalted (done: 999/1000)
    Bloodsail: Honored (done: 1618/12000)
    Darkmoon: Friendly (in progress: 275/6000)
    Ravenholdt: Revered (in progres: 4000/21000)

That HudMap looks promising, i might give it a shot.
    Don't Fwoosh me.

Holy crap Twitter is complicated, but now I feel loved!

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Holy crap Twitter is complicated, but now I feel loved!
    You get used to it . Don't fall for the overly loving....

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Wasn't there a >8k members group about MMO on facebook ? I thought it was 'official'.

Quote Originally Posted by inyu
    Wasn't there a >8k members group about MMO on facebook ? I thought it was 'official'.
    You don't like reading my news posts, do you?

https://twitter.com/MMOChampionNews

Didn't you setup this account?

Quote Originally Posted by Hegarol

Looks like a simple feed2twitter account made by a fan .

The impression I get is that Blizzard's primary complaint was with AVR's ability to draw pseudo-3D images over the game world, which is outside of the scope of what the UI was intended to be able to do. HudMap doesn't do any of that.
    Sure looks like it's drawing images over the UI to me. I can't see what the big difference is? This is giving a visual indication of buff/debuff zones that the UI doesn't give.. surely this is just as likely to be banned as AVR.

Quote Originally Posted by Hegarol

Nop, not me. Would have to check tho, might be someone from the company who decided to do the work because I was slacking.

Hmm, I have been following @MMOChampionNews on twitter for months to get twitter updates on mmo-news, has worked flawlessly.. I thought that was the official one

Awww, I sorta liked when not a lot of people were on IRC chat, but whatevs, more people to yell at :P

I'm excited to see whats coming on Facebook from you guys.

10+ Year Old Account

the previous mmo-c group on facebook was merely a setback!

be joinning the fan group when I come back from my internship, they blocked facebook here >
    Quote Originally Posted by SkillOverKill
    Now that's a troll, Vol'jin could ghost Jesus without God noticing, he's a shadow's shadow.
    Vol'jin for Warchief 2010

hudmap- gouging even more skill required to play this game

soon we'll all have class specific add ons that will play for us as well

Bah.. why does everyone go to quakenet while gamesurge has the better services and better user support...?

Deleted

Yay a Facebook page.

10+ Year Old Account

I was the the 443th or so person to like it and 1min later it's almost 600 people - nice

Quote Originally Posted by romant
    hudmap- gouging even more skill required to play this game

soon we'll all have class specific add ons that will play for us as well
    Really? You might want to go read some of the discussion on how trying to judge distances from other players in this game with basically no frame of reference is in no way fun or intuitive gameplay. Trying to guestimate how far away you need to run from other players before dropping you stacks of instability isn't exactly fun.

"Oh no. DBM still shows one player in range of me. But I'm sure I ran as far as last time! Oh, our ret pally DCed on the stairs again... I better run left. Is that far enough? Nope, DBM is still pinging. God damnit, how the hell am I supposed to judge distances in the 3D world when players are standing on stairs and I'm using a 2D monitor?!?! There we go, finally out of-"
    "Can you feel the cold hand of death upon your heart?"
    "FUCK I HATE THIS GAME"

Yeah. Skill.
    ... The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Robert A. Kotick, CEO and President of Activsion Blizzard

Now search for "Kotick" on Google. Surprised what shows up as result #2? I sure wasn't.