Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What is your definition of optional in heroics?

Title says it all, what do you define as optional? That pack of patting mobs that can cause trouble later on but can be ignored for now. A boss or two in the heroic that are off the beaten path. Or the entire freaking instance through a series of glitches cheats and resets?

Re: What is your definition of optional in heroics?

Optional is trash for rep reasons. All bosses should be cleared is anyone needs to or wants to, no one should just decide. Glitching is ok if it is fast and helps skip a gay mechanic like the gauntlet in H UP.

Anything that you have to go out of your way to kill is optional for me.

By that I mean most of the bosses in old kingdom are optional. People like to skip the ones in drak, but they're so damn quick and easy (and right along the path) that I wouldn't consider them optional.

Deleted

Well, I'm all for optional bosses.
    Some "heroics" are just plain boring and you want to reach them as soon as possible without having to spend 30 minutes or more killing bosses for emblems/gear you don't need.

I like the concept in Ahn'Kahet where you only need to kill one boss.

anything thats not directly in the path of getting your 2 frost badges is optional.

10+ Year Old Account

Eck is optional. Some bosses in OK can be skipped, but mainly just because that place is a shithole. AN 2nd pre-boss trash is buggable, which is similar but depends on group set up, so I wouldn't say optional.

I do all other bosses.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account

at this point there all optional

10+ Year Old Account

Necessary is what you have to kill in order to reach the last boss of the dungeon.
    Optional is everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

15+ Year Old Account

Optional:

1) Trash that is not directly in your path
    2) Bosses which are not along the path and need additional trash to be killed.

Examples:

1) The one group in UK at the foot of the last staircase (the one which you can walk by, if you hug the railing)

2) OK: Mushroom Boss / Jadoga Shadowseeker
    HoS: Rock Guy / Emo Maiden

NOT optional i regard:
    Drak'Tharon Keep - King Dred: I mean... you walk right beside him...
    OK - Elder Nadox: see above
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Every thing except the last boss.

Unless the group is full of very low geared people, in this case i prefer sweep and clean.

Personally, no bosses are optional. They're so easy and quick to kill, why not go kill them? Any trash that can be skipped though I usually skip, unless I get one of those healers that says, "U IZ NOOB, PULL MOAR OR I LEAVE!!11!!!1", then I go pull everything to shut them up. One of the advantages (and disadvantages at times =/) of being the tank
    What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated. - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Gak32
    Personally, no bosses are optional. They're so easy and quick to kill, why not go kill them? Any trash that can be skipped though I usually skip, unless I get one of those healers that says, "U IZ NOOB, PULL MOAR OR I LEAVE!!11!!!1", then I go pull everything to shut them up. One of the advantages (and disadvantages at times =/) of being the tank
    Because turning a 8 minute OK run into a 20 min one is fine...
    Ahn'Kahet is FILLED with annoying trash... I always rush through it as fast as I can. Depending on the group I skip the first boss as well.

Personally, if people ask me to kill other bosses: sure, why not. Depends on the boss though (see the above). Stuff like Dredd and Eck I don't mind doing if people want to, but if they keep quite I skip them.
    People complaining "I want my triumphs!", well I want my frosts :P

Optional bosses, I tend to skip, even on alts that need emblem, because it is quicker to get it done and re-queue and get bonus gold and emblems for completing a new one even if you do have to wait for a heroic, you can do other things in the mean-time.

Trash depends, if its a threat but an easy kill, get rid of it, if it has a lot of health or a time drain then its not worth it. Some tanks I've have seen pulled groups way out of the way for anybody to run to, yet other try to skip a pat walking right into the group.

15+ Year Old Account

I don't mind skipping bosses that needs the group to take some different route like Eck or HoS bosses. I am annoyed by people who want to skip everything possible tho because it isn't always faster. The example is HoL where actually killing stuff that someone might pull by accident takes much less time than the accident itself ... and on pug accidents do happen. Or I don't understand why the hell tanks are so eager to skip the first boss in HoL. I mean cmon, he is already on your way and some people actually stand and do nothing to skip him.

Skipping bosses that are already on your way is especially annoying for new lvl 80 and there is so many morons who can't spare 2 min top to kill the boss. Actually once on my pala healer I went afk after tank refused to kill the first HoL boss even tho I asked him.

I also go with the rule that if it entails killing extra trash it's optional, but I don't really care. I tend to just let the tank decide what gets killed since I am drowning in badges on one hand, but kinda enjoy the 'optional' bosses more than the normal ones on the other.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by RoneZone
    Optional is trash for rep reasons. All bosses should be cleared is anyone needs to or wants to, no one should just decide. Glitching is ok if it is fast and helps skip a gay mechanic like the gauntlet in H UP.
    couldnt agree more
    Wanna know how I got these scars? My father was... a drinker. And a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not-one-bit. So - me watching - he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it! Turns to me, and he says, "why so serious, son?" Comes at me with the knife... "Why so serious?" He sticks the blade in my mouth... "Let's put a smile on that face!

Deleted

I don't mind if some parts are skipped when the majority asks for it. Both my main and my alt are at the point that all they REALLY need is the two random frosts.

If someone asks for a full clear because they also need the Triumph badges to gear up properly, I'll gladly go along with that, too. We've all been there and frankly; the faster the 'new' players get all the Triumph stuff they need, the sooner they'll be ok with skipping stuff for just the Frost badges, too.
    After all, you'll GET your Frosts... they WON'T get their Triumphs.

And for all the "FAST RUN GOGOGO!" people who start and pull for themselves even as the instance has only barely started? Our guild tank has the proper response to those: You pull, you tank. And I'm often just leisurely tricks-ing mobs back to them if they happen to go for our healer who's reflexively trying to do his/her job. We also suddenly find it extremely important to harvest/mine/gather every node that happens to be available in the area.

Plus the obsessive skipping is just annoying sometimes, trying to skip Elder Nadox actually tacks on a bunch of annoying mobs and more time than it takes to just kicking over the boss itself. And pathing trash that's ran past will invariably be pulled in by a ranged dps or healer-aggro.

You don't have to do your daily heroic if you don't like it. It's optional.

Personally I only skip Eck, unless asked otherwise.

I don't get where people get the 12+ minute increase for killing the Mushroom guy and Orc lady in Ahn'kahet. If you have the dps to get through it in 8 minutes, it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes at max to kill the other two.

i do what the majority wants but if there is one poor fella in blue/green gear and the rest is icc geared i cant help but to screw the icc geared over and do those one or two optional bosses just to help the poor fella out.

my difinition of optional is bosses who are way of the path(well all three are in hos but one of them is needed to go to the last boss) such as maiden of grief/krystallus or amanitar/jedoga shadowseeker i do not consider king dred an optional since we walk directly past his pen also i refuse to bug hadronox since AN takes a few minutes either way and general bjarngrim isnt optional either imo since he walks directly in the path and last but not least grand magus talestra in nexus.