Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Festergut taunting

Hey all

yesteday I've downed first wing, rotface and festergut in a PuG (and I'm very proud). We had some wipes on festergut, mostly due some of us discussing when I should taunt him off the other tank. Leader said 7 stacks to be safe and some other claimed that 9 stacks was the best. According to the tooltip of the debuff, it explodes when you got 10 stacks.

But why not just taunt when the debuff is gone?

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Festergut taunting

Taunt at 9. Just taunt at 9.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

First taunt at 8 stacks, and from there whenever stack falls from the other tank. (Tell your healers 1 stack in advance though.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysera
    Making dreams 'enjoyable' since 10.000 B.N.
    Ysera fanclub. <3

Deleted

There's no reason whatsoever to taunt before 9 stacks.

Sure, you can manage with 8, but why would you? Tankswaps is always a crucial point where tanks can get killed, you want to limit yourself from doing it for the sake of doing it.

You taunt at 9 stacks, or you're an idiot, sorry.

Disclaimer; If you're feeling cocky, there's one reason to taunt before 9 stacks; To swap him before he does the third inhaled blight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezool
    Disclaimer; If you're feeling cocky, there's one reason to taunt before 9 stacks; To swap him before he does the third inhaled blight.
    Actually, I feel that the best time to taunt is when he is inhaling. At that time the tank will have 9 stacks and there won't be any incoming damage on tanks, which is a nice buffer for healer screwups. The only reason you might not want to do this is if you're afraid your taunt will miss: if you do it a bit earlier you have the leeway to wait for the taunt CD and still make the taunt in time.

Ardoric Sollis Ardodeath. Proud pet collector

Ardoric <Undergeared> Raiding in blues 'cause gear is overrated (8/12 ICC 10 | 3/4 RS 10)

Quote Originally Posted by ardoRic
    You argue that you need gear to compensate stupidity, I argue that you shouldn't take stupid to your raids.

10+ Year Old Account

I always taunt at 9, to maximize the damage from the other tank.
    Warlock (SL main)

Quote Originally Posted by Thundertom
    I always taunt at 9, to maximize the damage from the other tank.
    This
    Bring the player, not the class. *And a shaman.
    DEMACIA!!!!!

7 is way too early

The reason to taunt at less than nine stack, for example, at 8, is that you have some margin of error. If the other tank dies, you can take over, take one stack, have him Brezzed, buffed, and have him taunt the boss again without you exploding as soon as the boss does the next stack. Sure, this is not something that should happen very often, and it also can go horribly wrong, but why should you not at least have the possibility to do so? You do not lose much by taunting at 8 instead of 9 anyway.

Deleted

There's absolutely no reason to taunt before 9 stacks. Whoever says otherwise has no idea of how the debuff works.

There're 10 seconds between the 9th and 10th stack. Taunts have 8 second CDs so you have time to taunt twice, then all tanks have extra taunts or focus attacks. 10 seconds allows for what, 4 taunts, why would you need more time?

Quote Originally Posted by Simbert
    You do not lose much by taunting at 8 instead of 9 anyway.
    You'll wipe on the second tank swap if you taunted before 9 stacks.

editz: lol but I guess the +20% provides enough dps for you to never see the second tank swap. Oh well.

i always taunt at 8 stacks and it works out fine he isnt hard to kill anyway also if the other tank is a paladin and he have a 90% dmg increase(9 stacks) and he doesnt turn off righteous fury and is unfortunate to over aggro at the time of the gastric bloat he may have 10 stacks and then BOOM!!! of course thats worst case scenario but i never found any problems swapping at 8 stacks right before 3rd inhale.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona
    There's absolutely no reason to taunt before 9 stacks. Whoever says otherwise has no idea of how the debuff works.

As stated the reason for the first swap at sub-nine stacks is for safety, should a tank die it gives you the opportunity to res, rebuff and salvage the try.

The 2nd swap should naturally only be done if you have lost your stacks, that means the the 2nd swap might happen at 8 or 9 stacks.

Assuming that a tank does as much DPS while tanking as while offtanking you do neither gain nor lose DPS while swapping at 1,2,... or whatever stack, the static DPS increase is still the same due to it being linear i.e. 2 tanks with both 1 stack does the same DPS as 1 tank with 2 stacks and the other tank with 0.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhosas
    Why do ppl thing that dodge isnt good in ICC? i mean if u have alot 25 bananas and 25 oranges and someone steals u 20 bananas, what will u do, buy back some bananas or buy more oranges?

Deleted

tl;dr

8 stacks for unco-ordinated groups, i.e. PUGs. 9 stacks for co-ordinated groups, i.e. guilds.

I enjoyed the people insinuating you lose dps if you taunt before 9. That made my day.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster
    7 is way too early
    Five is WAY out.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona

There're 10 seconds between the 9th and 10th stack. Taunts have 8 second CDs so you have time to taunt twice, then all tanks have extra taunts or focus attacks. 10 seconds allows for what, 4 taunts, why would you need more time?

editz: lol but I guess the +20% provides enough dps for you to never see the second tank swap. Oh well.
    Why did u see the 2nd tank swap with 0% ? personally i've seen it once or maybe twice at our first kills :P

Cheers
    Zoulis
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    We're driving lemon VWs while everyone else is driving Cadillacs. Warlocks are riding in a limo.
    Zoulr of Hexagon
    formerly Zoulis of Uknown Entity

Quote Originally Posted by absolute
    I enjoyed the people insinuating you lose dps if you taunt before 9. That made my day.
    If you don't have the tank that would do more dps without the debuff tank first then technically you do, but people are bad at maths.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

at 7, the debuff refreshes, at 10, ur to late, at 9 is optimal BUT a taunt can miss, thus causing a wipe. we use 8, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterman
    BUT a taunt can miss, thus causing a wipe.
    This is why every tank has multiple taunts and glyphs to decrease the chance for them to miss. DKs have death grip which never misses.