Bear Tank's Threat Stats

Ok, I was having a discussion with my main run loot master today about Bear tanks and what stats effect their threat the most. I said that threat list in my opinion went
    Agility > Critical Strike Rating > Strength > Armor Penetration

Those are just the major ones.
    I rolled on the belt off 25 Putricide.. It caused a big uproar, and yeah.

So I was just wondering, Armor Penetration isnt a TERRIBLE stat for bear tanks is it? I mean, logically it wouldn't be. Maybe help with Lacerates damage?

Re: Bear Tank's Threat Stats

Is this assuming expertise capped?

Deleted

So I was just wondering, Armor Penetration isnt a TERRIBLE stat for bear tanks is it? I mean, logically it wouldn't be. Maybe help with Lacerates damage?
    ArP is a strong threat stat. but it dont buff the lacerate DoT since thats a bleed like rip or rake thus dont get better with arp.

it's something like this

Expertise > Hit > agi > AP > crit > ArP (unless your gear really gives a shitload ArP)

There was a long discussion about this in another thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-druid/losing-spot-in-icc-10-man-(heroic)-because-of-threat-(-help/

the relevant part linked to this as far as stat weighting: http://wowthinktank.blogspot.com/200...hreat-per.html

It's very common misconception that agility is a high threat stat, the cliff notes for that article:

1) expertise up to softcap
    2) hit to cap
    3) expertise past soft cap
    4) ArP
    5) Haste
    6) AP (figured at 2ap=1 stat point)
    7) Crit

The longer version is that ArP value goes up as you get more of it, in the example from this article ArP overtook exp past soft cap at ~950 ArP

according to wowwiki it takes 83.3 agi for a druid to get 1% crit, and 45.91 crit rating to get 1%, and agility gives bears no AP, so agility doesn't even appear to make the list for threat.

At a certain level, Arp becomes very good.

But that is when your Hit capped, Exp hard capped, at that level, i'd guess that Arp would become a better threat stat than Agi and Crit. Purely because top end bears would be close to 60-65% crit anyway.

Dont quote me because i dont do alot of theory crafting, but i'd say it could be really good at a certain gear level.

On the original topic, i thought the badge belt was BiS outside of hard modes? And if you was doing 25 man normal, you'd be rolling against rogues and feral DPS druids which would put the belt to much better use. Meaning there was an uproar because it was likely a clear DPS belt

ArP is a wonderful threat stat since it buffs maul, mangle and swipe and maul should already be your highest damage attack in bear form. I think I'm running around 45-50% in my GP tank set now. Not gemming for it, just what's on my gear while keeping hit & expertise high.

hmm, I skimmed over the issue at hand.

as a bear you should spend 60 badges on Vengeful Noose eventually (assuming 264 level content). Astrylians Sutured Cinch has given up stat points to have more AP making it more of a dps item, it also has crit rather than haste and less ArP than the emblem one. Ideally this belt would be passed to dps that could make better use of it.

If we're talking about 277 gear, Astrylians Sutured Cinch is currently your only option after taking a quick look.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by bavarcarus
    2) hit to cap
    4) ArP
    5) Haste
    7) Crit
    Quite correct.

We'd need more math to check if Haste or ArP is doing better for TPS. But given that, the list is what you should account for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bavarcarus

It's very common misconception that agility is a high threat stat, the cliff notes for that article:

2) hit to cap
    4) ArP
    5) Haste
    7) Crit

The longer version is that ArP value goes up as you get more of it, in the example from this article ArP overtook exp past soft cap at ~950 ArP
    quoting so op knows that this list is correct, and the rest are wrong

It's very common misconception that agility is a high threat stat
    Agility is a good 'threat stat' because it does double duty: it is a good defensive stat that also has reasonable threat.

ArPen is most useful for holding AE aggro with Swipe.

83.3 agi for a druid to get 1% crit
    On your character sheet... yes. On an item, the value will be increased by BoK, and your stat enhancing talents. It is actually closer to "70 agility per crit".

I rolled on the belt off 25 Putricide.. It caused a big uproar, and yeah.
    It is a fine belt for a bear. The uproar is totally ridiculous.

Personally, if you thought you were realistically going to get the badge belt 'soon', you probably should hold off. If you weren't going to get that belt in the next several weeks... I think rolling on the putricide belt is a 'reasonable' choice. It is NOT "best in slot" for either of you... for both of you, it may be "the best you have access to in the immediate future".

The socket colors work better, you can pick up 45 stamina and 16 agility, instead of 60 stamina; picking up 16 agility for 15 stamina is generally a pretty good trade. (and remember the rogue also has an option of the badge belt as well; the actual dps difference is extremely low.)

About the belt from Putricide...

Its better than the badge 1, which sucks big time btw....

The belt from ToGC 25 Twins is better than the badge belt - don't waste 60 frost emblems on it, unless you have to many and your server is flooded with primodial saronite

Quote Originally Posted by Lunaros

The belt from ToGC 25 Twins is better than the badge belt - don't waste 60 frost emblems on it, unless you have to many and your server is flooded with primodial saronite
    you would rather have AP than agility on a tanking item?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunaros

the 277 putricide belt is better than the badge belt, the 264 version is not.. how does the BiS belt (not counting 277 belts) suck?

the belt from togc is good if you need hit, thats it. more stamina and more armor from the badge belt than the togc belt, oh look our two best stats. yum