Poll: How good is PoM?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Prayer of Mending

i voted that is a brilliant spell.
    just the idea behind it in general is awesome, its like having a little mini priest running around flash healing stuff basically.

question about prom though: only direct damage makes it bounce? or does aura damage do the trick too?
    This signature has been removed due to a violation of the Signatures + Avatars guidelines.

I was always under the impression it was a smart heal because it jumped to the person with the lowest health and not some random full health person if people were dying. I looked through the responses and didn't see anyone address this well.

Or maybe I have the definition of a smart heal all wrong. Can anyone clarify?

No, you're simply mistaken. Prayer of Mending does not prioritize people at low health when bouncing. It just randomly bounces to someone in range. It does seem to have a tendency to bounce back to the caster, but even that is unreliable. Test it yourself in a dungeon. Let someones health dip low, then PoM the tank. See who it bounces to after the tank is hit. While it may bounce to the low health party member after a few times trying this you'll see that it's mostly random.

It's not something you should use if it won't bounce at least three times and it's not something you should be casting on cool-down under normal conditions. The only time you'd want to do that is if you're sure that you can get all the bounces within the cooldown. Standard recast time is 10 seconds to line up with aura ticks. The only time you'd cast it more often is if there are other reliable sources of damage floating around so that it will bounce more often.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by chupatwo
    question about prom though: only direct damage makes it bounce? or does aura damage do the trick too?
    Any damage done to the target makes it bounce.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by iebe
    Any damage done to the target makes it bounce.
    Cept life-tap. In general, self afflicted dmg doesnt make it jump, save for PWeath.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

brilliant. and i dont even have it on my own priest. i just know its fucking great

Quote Originally Posted by Splenda
    Cept life-tap. In general, self afflicted dmg doesnt make it jump, save for PWeath.
    Life Tap and Hysteria do not, but I believe Hellfire can. Of course, we won't see Warlocks using that until 4.0, and it's not supposed to have self-damage by then...

Oh, reflected damage also triggers it.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Leyna
    Actually its pretty awesome as long as you don't have 2 or more priests in a raid who all overwrites everone's else PoM.
    thats why I voted option 2..... priests canceling out each others PoM's is just stupid QQ
    Cemetary - Holy/Disc Priest | Quiteconfuzd - Arcane/Fire Mage | Torden - Feral Druid

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Life Tap and Hysteria do not, but I believe Hellfire can. Of course, we won't see Warlocks using that until 4.0, and it's not supposed to have self-damage by then...

Oh, reflected damage also triggers it.
    Hmm, I sort of remember hellfire making it jump. Not too sure.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

I love it!
    In PvP, when a dps helps you out and are are being focus'ed and ur dps are too. PoM is AWSOME!
    In PvE i love. eg. Whelps in Onyxia, u threw a PoM at one of the tanks it just bounce between them ^^

I had to vote awesome with flaws, but that's not really how I feel. The biggest problem with it for me isn't it's mechanics, but just how it works out being used, where the majority of the time it just doesn't require a whole lot of thought when being used. In the fights where it's good, you pretty much use it right on CD and the only thing you can really affect is the initial target, which doesn't even matter that much. In other cases, it's extremely frustrating when I specifically try to use it to get it to bounce between tanks or damage clusters and it inevitably bounces to a pet or someone else not taking damage and completely mitigates my attempt to use it intelligently.

I think it needs some work, one of those things being perhaps preventing it from boucing to pets. I don't might other heals so much bouncing to pets, but PoM suffers more than any other multi-target heal when that happens. The other is that its smart quality needs to be a little smarter and take some kind of diminishing effect on the damage of the target and it's distance from the current target such that the farther away a target is, the more damaged it has to be for it to bounce to them. This latter part would help with using it on tanks and clusters taking damage so it can bounce around between them like intended, but in situations where everyone is taking more or less equal damage and are roughly spread out, it ought to still work it's way through the raid. Also, they need to fix the overwriting, that's really annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    No, you're simply mistaken. Prayer of Mending does not prioritize people at low health when bouncing. It just randomly bounces to someone in range. It does seem to have a tendency to bounce back to the caster, but even that is unreliable. Test it yourself in a dungeon. Let someones health dip low, then PoM the tank. See who it bounces to after the tank is hit. While it may bounce to the low health party member after a few times trying this you'll see that it's mostly random.
    Sorry, but you are wrong. I just tested it for a whole dungeon (actually, i only went there to test this^^), and PoM always, without fail, jumped to the person with the lowest percentual health in range. I even went so far and used SW:P to produce myself as a lower-than-full health target, and every single time the PoM jumped to me. Try it for yourself. It IS smart. It always jumps to the lowest person in range. This also means that if a range has low health, but is to far away, it will not jump to them. And, in case you think it does not jump to the lowest person, in most cases it simply has jumped two times very fast, and already healed the lowest person just then.

Quote Originally Posted by grifty
    I picked Awesome with flaws.

PoM was one of my most used heals. The only flaw is when it hangs on a hunter pet for it's whole duration.

PoM does bounce to the target with lowest % health in range.

nevertheless it has it's flaws.
    ...just another dream within a dream...

Quote Originally Posted by Simbert
    Sorry, but you are wrong. I just tested it for a whole dungeon (actually, i only went there to test this^^), and PoM always, without fail, jumped to the person with the lowest percentual health in range. I even went so far and used SW:D to produce myself as a lower-than-full health target, and every single time the PoM jumped to me. Try it for yourself. It IS smart. It always jumps to the lowest person in range. This also means that if a range has low health, but is to far away, it will not jump to them. And, in case you think it does not jump to the lowest person, in most cases it simply has jumped two times very fast, and already healed the lowest person just then.
    Fixed :P

Cheers
    Zoulis
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    We're driving lemon VWs while everyone else is driving Cadillacs. Warlocks are riding in a limo.
    Zoulr of Hexagon
    formerly Zoulis of Uknown Entity

Quote Originally Posted by Leyna
    Actually its pretty awesome as long as you don't have 2 or more priests in a raid who all overwrites everone's else PoM.
    Use grid. Add PoM as one of the buffs to track. This way you cast it on a person that does not have some one elses PoM and the two will seldom if ever bounce to the same target. (I have never seen it happen)

OT:
    Awsome heal. Perfect for high raid damage fights.

It is smart, it does jump to the lowest hp person. In a situation where you will need to spam PoH accross the raid pop PoM 1st so that the lowest hp people dont die before you get to their group.

Edit: Soz, left this out as i didnt read ALL the posts before posting my self.

To those people that say it isnt a smart heal: Get out of the priet forum! You obviously dont play a priest.... Idiots!

After shield it's my favorite spell. I used to like it even more when it gave it's threat to the person it healed; back when threat was a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Simbert
    Sorry, but you are wrong. I just tested it for a whole dungeon (actually, i only went there to test this^^), and PoM always, without fail, jumped to the person with the lowest percentual health in range. I even went so far and used SW:P to produce myself as a lower-than-full health target, and every single time the PoM jumped to me. Try it for yourself. It IS smart. It always jumps to the lowest person in range. This also means that if a range has low health, but is to far away, it will not jump to them. And, in case you think it does not jump to the lowest person, in most cases it simply has jumped two times very fast, and already healed the lowest person just then.
    Sample size was most likely too small, I've tested it over and over and over and so have others. If you want to get even more scientific about it create a party of three and have them each pull a few mobs, then PoM them while you stand back at full health. It will bounce to you just as often as it bounces to others. If it were smart it would just bounce back and forth between them, but unless you're out of range it will bounce to you more often than it bounces between the other two. PoM is pretty infamous for wasting charges by bouncing to people who don't need it. Even if it were smart in this manner that would not fix the core flaw, which is that being at low health does not insure that the charge is not wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Splenda
    Self inflicted damage does cause it to bounce. Life Tap doesn't cause it to bounce because Life Tap does not deal damage. It costs health. That's also why shielded targets lose health when they have a shield on them. Same goes for other spells that have health listed as a cost.

BOOOOOOOONE SSSTOOOOOORRRRRMMMM!

Seriously though this spell is awesome, but of course it has its flaws. My priest is still wearing 2pc t9 (its an alt) and this spell is a huge portion of my healing. You toss it out and you get around 50k worth of healing done while you're using your other heals.
    If you want to make raiding content harder, turn off DBM. Voila! Your encounters will be much more challenging without bleeps and someone telling you to "run away, little girl."

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    Sample size was most likely too small, I've tested it over and over and over and so have others. If you want to get even more scientific about it create a party of three and have them each pull a few mobs, then PoM them while you stand back at full health. It will bounce to you just as often as it bounces to others. If it were smart it would just bounce back and forth between them, but unless you're out of range it will bounce to you more often than it bounces between the other two. PoM is pretty infamous for wasting charges by bouncing to people who don't need it. Even if it were smart in this manner that would not fix the core flaw, which is that being at low health does not insure that the charge is not wasted.

Self inflicted damage does cause it to bounce. Life Tap doesn't cause it to bounce because Life Tap does not deal damage. It costs health. That's also why shielded targets lose health when they have a shield on them. Same goes for other spells that have health listed as a cost.
    I do not have two people at hand to perform such a test right now. Would you mind posting any sources for your claims? And the "low sample size" stuff is just bullshit. Sorry, but that´s the way it is. I did at least 20 PoMs in that dungeon. The plausibility of it being a random jump, instead of jumping to the person with the lowest person, is very low. In fact, the probability of it just always hitting the right person by chance, when assuming you have 3 persons in range on average, is 1/3^20, or 2.86*10^-8%. That is 0.0000000286%. Even if i assume that i might have seen it wrong on 4 of those 20 occasions, the probability is still 0.055%. So, i would really like you to test it again, since your results are in no way compatible with mine. Oh, and just to go a step ahead "Millions read this site, so it is bound to happen for one of them" does not apply, since there were no millions testing it, just me. I think one can safely assume that being 99.945% sure that it is in fact smart is enough.

Edit: Just to be totally sure (and because i was very bored), i tested it again, and this time i counted. I was in a group with a total of 7 things, including pets. 4 of those were melee, and i stayed in meleerange all the time. In situations with no AE damage, i always used SW, and than PoM on the tank. I did this for a total of 30 times. On every single one of those times, it jumped to me, and then there was a PoM with 4 stacks on me. As you can see, this data is even better than the above, making my point very clear. You can even account for human error very generously and still be well over 99.9% certainty that the hypothesis that PoM jumps randomly is, in fact, wrong.