Understanding GS (an explanation of its main purpose) and ADDON SUGGESTION

Hmm well here the thing with GS, so you might better understand, well atleast i actually understand it and im well aware most dont.

Let me first say this, i knew a warrior 4.4kgs that pulled 7kdps pre ICC buff, but he knew his stuff.... so lets to get to the basis of gearscore

GearScore is like your dps/health/healing container, those with low gs like the warrior i was referring to above could theoretically with his gearscore hit lets just say 8kdps, now lets add a warrior same spec, but add 1500 to his GS, the only difference is gear. For your sake lets assume its the same person, the rotation stays the same and he knows perfectly well his class and how to play it. This being said, his highest possible dps would "theoretically" be MUCH higher than the old version of the warrior. This applys for tanking and healing as well just in a different form.

Didn't get it?

Here how about a real life example. You and your friend stand side by side, you both can jump the equal distance off the ground about lets say a ridiculous number 5ft (that measuring feet to floor). You both jump the same way, the only difference is that you are 5' 10" and your friend is 6' 5". Now who can reach higher with a jump (as well as on the ground). If you picked the 5' 10" i suggest you learn some logic or a little bit of math as well (both coincide) The 6' 5" friend will easily out reach you.

Now this usually isn't how it is used, but those who understand the concept use a combo of GS and achievements, tho the combo does not always suffice.

Ultimately there really is not "real" way no matter what you say of checking who is going to have the best dps/gs/or tanking. However if your a programmer and skilled in the field of addons i have a suggestion.

So basically gs is a mediocre means of measuring out (or gambling) on a players dps if used properly, achievements are partial competence. so here is my addon suggestion

SUGGESTION:

We all know what a raid leader wants to see, high dps, and a competent player able to learn the fights quickly, or who already knows the fights, My idea, make an addon that is sort of a communications app, perhaps exports info to a specific website or stores them on your computer for future use. This app would require a Recount/ensidia fails combo, this way a play may link a pug leader the information he or she wants to know "Whats his/her dps and can he/she navigate through boss mechanics properly"

Re: Understanding GS (an explanation of its main purpose) and ADDON SUGGESTION

I forgot to mention as well NO TWO CLASSES GS WORK THE SAME WAY. Again a real life example:

There is a fat person and a very muscular person both identical in height, weight, mind, blah blah blah the only difference is what makes their weight. As we should all know muscle is much more dense than fat (weights more) now you measure the two they will "appear" the same but the fat person will not be able to bench the same amount of weight as the person who has the muscle weight rather than fat.

To be honest we all knew what GS was about to begin with, as always it is the morons that use it above a mix of things to solely base a decision on whether or not a player is good enough.

Even achievements can be flawed, you could have spent 90% of the encounter dead on the floor for all we know.

If you go by your suggestion for an addon which is to be more effective it needs to do a number of things; GS, DPS average for encounter, percentage of time spent alive and encounter success, if the player has not completed the encounter then the addon would fall back onto the players raid history.

Don't get me wrong, this "dream" add on would end off being more hated than GS because of how comprehensive and strict it would be and would force more people to guild up to avoid such strict measurements.
    <b>Soon</b>: Copyright 2004-2010 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Blizzard Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Blizzard does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Blizzard will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."

well like ive said u cant base it on any soley, the "best" would be a combination if even that, and if you link the dps on certain fights, i see no purpose in GS, as i stated earlier it is meant to gamble on the "plausible" dps.

As for people already knowing, I have trouble accepting that, if they did there would not be quite an issue with it. But i do like the suggestions for the addons however again, GS would not be necessary, and "average time" is too limited; ensidia fails tells if you die, what you die to, what your getting hit too long by, etc. im sure theres a way to highlight certain aspects. the recount was of course of specific encounters, and this dream addon is just combining two addons that already exist, im sure it cannot be that complex, rather a re working of old addons and adding a "Save" button to both in fact it does not even need to be a new addon, just add the save button =] i hope this idea gets out it would really solve a lot of complaints (and perhaps start new ones for those that GS worked in their favor) but still id love to see this made possible.

The problem is that no addon can ever provide the information we need.
    No achievements nor gear will ensure that someone is able to perform their role in a group at any given time. Nor will any pve progression.
    Desipte the huge flaws gearscore became popular for the sole reason of the score.
    You can specify that in trade as a minimum requirement, ignoring that it is often well in excess of level of gear the encounter is aimed at.
    You can make a mindless judgement on a player with minimal effort without having to talk to anyone, or even think.

It is killing the social aspect of the game and turning people into elitists where they slap judgements onto people they have never met, and likely never saw a single thing they said yet still deemed them inferior to someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

15+ Year Old Account

I am waiting for the addon that automatically films you in action against bosses, automatically filters the boring parts and leaves only the smart and dumb things you do for the fight, then auto-exports it to a site that mashes it up with your current gear level and achievement status, giving extra points for skill achievements, then has you fill out a resume with all your in-game play times, alt names, real life name, weight, height, average daily play time, and eyesight.

After all of this, you take an on-line reflex and motor skills test, followed by a basic IQ test, english (or primary server language) comprehension test, and pattern recognition test, then your computer is subjected to a reliability test and the stability of your internet is determined on a running average for the week.

You can then record a video or audio only message to be inserted as the intro to this complied file. As a final step, every time a raid leader asks for this information, you submit to a breathalyzer test from a specialized USB breathalyzer that comes with the addon.

Then, when the raid leader asks for your "Super Raid Effectiveness Qualification Test Link" you just send him your personal URL.
    "And then, as though awoken from a blind stupor,the people of the internet realised that: no one gives a damn.
    And no damns were given." - Calon, MMO-Champion (source)

Would rather you only got achievements if you survived the encounter.

Would be an incentive to move out of the goddamn fire.

keep in mind that the biggest increase in any classes dps or even heals is their wep/trinks

Quote Originally Posted by ESC dontShootMe
    GearScore is like your dps/health/healing container, those with low gs like the warrior i was referring to above could theoretically with his gearscore hit lets just say 8kdps, now lets add a warrior same spec, but add 1500 to his GS, the only difference is gear. For your sake lets assume its the same person, the rotation stays the same and he knows perfectly well his class and how to play it. This being said, his highest possible dps would "theoretically" be MUCH higher than the old version of the warrior.
    This simply isn't so - and the worst part is people believe it is. I see so many people on my realm who just equip whatever is higher gearscore, irrespective of how bad the itemization is for their spec. The result is low damage/healing/survival.

Me: Hey mr DK - You're 200 Hit over cap, unequip that triumph badge trinket and replace it with the one from ToC-5 normal
    DK: But then my GS would go down.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Eisaderfrau
    <snip>
    I am interested and would like to know more. Is there a pamphlet I could subscribe to?

You just need to rework the name though, SREQTL is a poor acronym T_T

10+ Year Old Account

Too bad u cant post this in the moron forums, underneath the coloumn: BREAKTHROUGH IN WOW!
    "There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs." - George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

So my theoretical dps output on my warlock would go up using the 128int triumph trinket over my abyssal rune?

Sorry but 84 haste > 128 int for a warlock and the proc saves a GCD + is more spellpower value over the time.

GS means nothing, people can be at 6k and still fail. Saw a pally today with 5700 gs and only used seal of wisdom to tank 10man ICC, 5 dps all were 5400+ and only 1 could break 5k dps on any boss. My guild took a friends hunter into our 25 a few weeks ago at 4100 GS (he stopped playing before ulduar so was in mostly 25man naxx gear), he outdps'd 4 other people all who were 5500 +, he did over 6k dps on putricide.

GS is the warcraft black plague,its been abused to the point of pathetic especially on frostmane eu where people require a gs of 5k+ for a MC run and 5.5k for voa and shit like that , very frequent do u see someone spamming to do heroic ach's but cant join his group of mongo elitists becuase he is asking for a gs of over 5k i mean wtf is this? some people need to have a word with themselves. Ive many a times thrashed other peoples dps when there sat at like 5.5kgs, maybe they was slacking or whatever i dont know. GS dont mean shit if you keep dying to over agro or the dreaded fire. Tbh i cant be assed to go on about it but i wish i could rewind warcraft to the good old vanilla days but with todays content, attitudes was different back then and so was everybodys playstyle where if you didnt move or know your class you could wipe the raid a hell of alot easier than you can now, and the game was more fun back then.