Griefing in Random Dungeons

I've been away from this game for a year now, so I'm coming back to see a whole bunch of new additions that have made their way to this game that had not been there before.

The first is gearscore. I have mixed feeling on this, but I'll reserve my immediate opinion to: meh.

The second is the ability to use Dungeon Finder to do 5-man PUGs. Excellent idea! I love this thing, as it saves me the hassle of jumping up and down Ogrimmar or Iron Forge spamming /2 or PM'ing people to try to set something up.

However, the downfall here is when getting grouped up with children who want simply wish to be d'bags.

I'm running Heroic Pit of Saron. I am pulling great DPS since, despite having 4.5 GS, as I am enchanted and gemmed with the best there is, and still remember how to maximize my cycle. Now, despite this fact, these kids are acting like total creeps. First, they kick out a mage after insulting him for being low GS. They then move on to me.

Not only does the healer stop healing me through the boss fight, but but he laughs and continues with derogatory insults. While I can deal with that, his buddy then rolls on two items that I could have used, *only* because he thought it was funny to do so. Bare in mind, these are ICC geared players. ( Why didn't I leave the group? I'm not waiting a ICC 5-man lock )

It is frustrating to realize that such scum exist, but my question is:

Is it *legal* as per the ToS/EULA to grief players in instances?
    It is *legal* to use derogatory insults towards players?

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Griefing in Random Dungeons

this topic is both new and exciting

Bad PUG experiences go here pls
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/raids-du...-dungeon-tool/
    I'm just a fan of a brand new wiki: pcgamingwiki.com
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.
    It's a brand new site, so help out by contributing.

I have had nothing but good experiences with random dungeons.

It's exactly what it says, random. You have to do something wrong to get people to complain. You probably told them to shut up or something to get them going. If you adopt my no-talking policy during randoms people leave you alone.
    My 80s
    Ret/Prot Paladin
    Afflic Warlock
    Mut Rogue
    Enhance Shaman
    Prot Warrior
    Unholy Death Knight

Quote Originally Posted by PuppyDes
    Gearscore got you down? Get a Guild.
    Sick of puging? Get some friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by I stand in fire
    this topic is both new and exciting

Bad PUG experiences go here pls
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/raids-du...-dungeon-tool/
    Reading Rainbow really needs to make a return to PBS.

15+ Year Old Account

pretty sure you can report for harassment, doubt anything would happen though unless he swore or dropping racial/ethnic remarks

Quote Originally Posted by darkfenix_rizen

It's exactly what it says, random. You have to do something wrong to get people to complain. You probably told them to shut up or something to get them going. If you adopt my no-talking policy during randoms people leave you alone.
    Nope. Actually I said absolutely nothing, they were looking to be tools.

However, I'm hardly looking for consolement -- it's not like I lost items that can never be replaced.

Rather, I'm curious whether this kind of abhorrent behavior and griefing is permissible.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mehdi
    I can read and I heard the same story happen to a million people.

An elitist asshat treats an undergeared PUG like trash.

You need to learn to use the search function.
    I'm just a fan of a brand new wiki: pcgamingwiki.com
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.
    It's a brand new site, so help out by contributing.

But don't take my word for it.

It is *legal* to use derogatory insults towards players?
    It is not. You can open a ticket for verbal harassment. You can eventually talk with other members of the PuG and see if anyone of 'em is willing to open another ticket with the same topic, to strengthen your chances to achieve any result.

Personally I did always made fun of such kind of kids, replying them back with sarcasm and without saying anything that could get me banned instead. In few years of WoW, only two random players (once in BG, once in dungeon) went so much past the line that I thought they could benefit of a lesson about 'our behaviour might have consequences'. First time I know the user got banned. Second time I don't know as he was from another realm and I wasn't really interested on finding out.
    Of course offences have different weights. As examples on the opposite extremities: racist offences are very unlikely to be tolerated and will directly lead to bans; stuff like 'you suck' aren't as serious and I haven't heard of anyone banned for similar statements, unless they were surrounded by other offensive comments.

That's not griefing, that's just being a jerk.

Griefing in the rfd would be getting a tank, healer and hunter to misdirect mobs onto the 3rd or 4th dps and let him die.

As for GS in heroics, Only the ICC 5mans seem to bring about GS comments.

I think you just had some bad luck. I've done 100's (maybe close to a 1000 dungeons through the random dungeon finder if you add up all my characters) and only had a handful of really bad experiences.

It doesn't take too long to learn how to identify munchkins (people who are playing entirely for the purpose of pissing other people off), so while 15 minutes of downtime sucks, plus additional queue time, cross-server ignore at least assures you won't get that same person again on your next random.

Unfortunately, some people just have no reason to live anymore.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

The new 5 mans (which, lets just be serious, aren't all that new anymore) definitely do bring about jerks since those dungeons actually require a little more work than the rest. That doesn't excuse any sort of nasty behavior BUT when people jump directly from quest blues to heroic dungeons, they just can't keep up. You are obviously an exception, but maybe not the mage that was there as well.

Also, people are assholes. I generally say hello and then switch to my combat text tab so I don't even have to read any of the crap they may or may not spew. I only check what they say before bosses because otherwise I know what I'm doing.
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by dabros
    pretty sure you can report for harassment, doubt anything would happen though unless he swore or dropping racial/ethnic remarks
    If it will make you feel better, you can report 'em for griefing: mention the instance, and their name-server. List as many specifics as you can before you run out of (the oh-so-limited) characters in the ticket.

You'll get a nice form letter that essentially says (paraphrased) "Thanks for your input; any results of any investgation are confidential. Have a nice day."

My personal guess is that nothing happens at that point (unless writing that ticket is catharatic enough for you). It's entirely possible, however, that if someone's name came up often enough, Blizz might actually check up on 'em... and if they happened to continue their ways while being investigated, they might gain an entire three hour ban or something equally useful. That's all just speculation, though.

On a personal note, I had a tank (in questing blues/greens) the other day try to vote kick my 'lock (~5.9k gs) because I had "1337 damage." (The ret pally in the group voted no, allowing me to stay, and passed it along to me via whispers.) Not pulling aggro - damage. Boggles the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by darkfenix_rizen

Then you are a very lucky individual. There are people out there who will go out of their way just to make your life a living hell just for their own amusement. I've dealt with it more than once.

Also, on this "No Talking Policy" this is suppose to be a fun social game. It's sad that people have become so obnoxious you can't even speak without fighting against some recourse.

This is sad.

You saying you only have a 4.5k gearscore means nothing. You do realize that BC raiders are starting to pick the game back up and NOBODY is going to know what the fuck you are talking about. STOP SAYING GS, I ONLY HAVE A 5k GS that means NOTHING. Say something like I have naxx gear or I have ulduar gear, it sounds way less retarded.

I know Im going off about this but I really dont care because I know there are people who feel the same way about it. Anytime someone tries to describe their gear they say "Oh well its only about a 4k gearscore" yea well try harder that doesnt mean shit to someone who doesnt fucking use GS.
    /rant