Nabbin' that elusive red proto

Yo Community,

I've been frantically trying to get my hands on the http://www.wowwiki.com/Glory_of_the_Hero achievement this week.
    I have a few IRL friends who play on my server but they're major PVP'ers and refuse to do any PVE relating things at all.

This has lead my to approach this achievement through the random dungeon system. I met many groups were happy to help me (after asking very politely ofc) however I also came across many groups who when I asked politely either did not respond or just flat out said no. This left me in a predicament, Do I constantly persist and almost beg to do the achievement? Do I silently grind my teeth and sit out the whole instance without protest? Or do I just leave and wait 30 mins with the lovely debuff?...

Just wanted to know what others thought...

Thanks

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Nabbin' that elusive red proto

Considering I have the Proto already, am a tank(and therefore "control" the instance, for lack of a better term) I have no real desire to do them for others. I did mine with my guild in far inferior gear, I'm sure you can find 4 others on your server that want to do this meta.

That said, I really only decline to doing achievements in a few scenarios. One being if I am in a rush and the achievement is on a boss that is easily skipped. Two, if it takes more effort to do the achievement other than smoothly moving through the instance. Both of these are related to time, and often the only reason I am in 5mans is for my daily random or I am farming badges for gems. Which leads me to want to do them fast, so I can be done with them. The third reason is because most people that want these achievements, or the more difficult ones, have put no thought into how they are going to get it done. And since the random heroic is random, you dont always have the group make up to complete certain achievments. You aren't doing Less-Rabi with only one interrupt, I dont care how good your groups gear is.

These are my feelings on asking to do achievements in the Random dungeon finder with 4 other strangers.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

Most, yes, most puggers will either not care or not want to do these acheivements, for the most part.

It doesnt hurt to ask, but don't be surprised if you get shot down, esepcially for the harder ones.

Best bet is to try to drum up some interest in groups made specifically for the acheivements, I've joined a couple of them when I was bored in trade channel.

This is espeically true of the Occulus ones since they take careful planning, and your average pug will likely want to get through Occ quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurytos
    Considering I have the Proto already, am a tank(and therefore "control" the instance, for lack of a better term) I have no real desire to do them for others. I did mine with my guild in far inferior gear, I'm sure you can find 4 others on your server that want to do this meta.

That said, I really only decline to doing achievements in a few scenarios. One being if I am in a rush and the achievement is on a boss that is easily skipped. Two, if it takes more effort to do the achievement other than smoothly moving through the instance. Both of these are related to time, and often the only reason I am in 5mans is for my daily random or I am farming badges for gems. Which leads me to want to do them fast, so I can be done with them. The third reason is because most people that want these achievements, or the more difficult ones, have put no thought into how they are going to get it done. And since the random heroic is random, you dont always have the group make up to complete certain achievments. You aren't doing Less-Rabi with only one interrupt, I dont care how good your groups gear is.

These are my feelings on asking to do achievements in the Random dungeon finder with 4 other strangers.
    I've done Less-Rabi two days in a row with my Fury warrior in a PuG with just me interrupting once (Pummel ftw).
    Really helps when one other DPS can put out insane DPS with heroism (Arcane mage @10k for example).

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Druchii
    I've done Less-Rabi two days in a row with my Fury warrior in a PuG with just me interrupting once (Pummel ftw).
    Really helps when one other DPS can put out insane DPS with heroism (Arcane mage @10k for example).
    I find this hard to believe. Not that you or the mage could put out 10k dps under heroism, but the likelihood that there was not another interrupt and you just didn't recognize it, on top of the fact that you got an arcane mage that can put out such numbers and a shaman in your random group 2 days in a row. I've been in many groups where there is an absurd amount of dps, and there has always been a need for a second interrupt at about the 3-5% mark, which makes his cast essentially instant. We could argue all day about this but niether of us would be able to prove anything to sway the other.

Grats on your achievement.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

I find this hard to believe. Not that you or the mage could put out 10k dps under heroism, but the likelihood that there was not another interrupt and you just didn't recognize it, on top of the fact that you got an arcane mage that can put out such numbers and a shaman in your random group 2 days in a row. I've been in many groups where there is an absurd amount of dps, and there has always been a need for a second interrupt at about the 3-5% mark, which makes his cast essentially instant. We could argue all day about this but niether of us would be able to prove anything to sway the other.

Grats on your achievement.
    The times I've done it on my rogue it's been like so:

Initiate fight, first interupt around 80%, boss goes sub-50% between 5 and 7 seconds later, I spam kick button so it goes off the same instant the next cast happens between 30 and 40%, boss dead before he can cast again.

It does definately take a serious ammount of DPS on everyone's part, but the tank can blow cooldowns so the healer can DPS, too.

Have you tried getting a group form trade chat to do them?

Quote Originally Posted by Asur
    Have you tried getting a group form trade chat to do them?
    This, or join a guild, or find some in game friends with PVE in mind.

I will usually help people get them, but if they pester me over and over, or can't hold thier weight. I will not. So if your a dps, your dps needs to be not last on recount, or if your a healer the tank needs to not have dipped low cause your afk'ing. Or if your a tank and I pull agro you pull it back. If you try and play your character well i will help.

This work of art was made by Paz.

Since other players aren't obliged to do what you want to do and they don't, you should either complete the run with 'em with no achievements or just leave :
    As much as it can be annoying to leave the dungeon and wait 30 minutes to try better luck without getting saved, nobody is really forced to help you with your achievements, and any attempt of yours to harass them for revenge would be plainly wrong.
    You can ask again if you feel like it, of course, but your best chance is to make it clear since the first time that you know very well how to do the achievement and that you will explain it to them and it will be easy with your group setup and gear level. Also make sure you're properly enchanted and gemmed. It's usually annoying when somebody with totally unenchanted gear asks 'can we do the achievements' and then also expect to be explained what to do.
    But if you really wanna do an achievement, you better make your own run instead of trying to convince people that only want their emblems.

10+ Year Old Account

Ask in trade and you'll likely find a few people who want to do the meta as well. It's easier to get a group together than going in it for a random.

10+ Year Old Account

The only time I ask in PuGs is if it's an achievement that isn't inconvenient to do. If it's a matter of killing a boss faster or coordinating interupts or not killing adds (What the Eck, Skadi, Void Dance), then that's fine. But if it's a matter of positioning the boss in some very particular weird area or dragging the fight out for an ungodly amount of time or doing something that requies very special planning (Zombiefest, Share the Love, Abuse the Ooze), I wouldn't bother and would kinda prefer if others didn't ask. It just puts people out, and you probably won't get it anyway because PuGs are often uncoordinated and will mess it up.

I will usually try/help when people ask though, but I can understand why others may decline.

If your friends won't do it and your random PuGs won't, just try to look for a random "working on red proto" achievement group on your server via LFG channel, trade, or your forums. You'll probably have decent luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pojodan
    Initiate fight, first interupt around 80%, boss goes sub-50% between 5 and 7 seconds later, I spam kick button so it goes off the same instant the next cast happens between 30 and 40%, boss dead before he can cast again.
    Kick has a CD, you can't spam it.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

like everyone else said just make a group of people on your server that also want the drake.

Quote Originally Posted by Zabrajin
    Yo Community,

I've been frantically trying to get my hands on the http://www.wowwiki.com/Glory_of_the_Hero achievement this week.
    I have a few IRL friends who play on my server but they're major PVP'ers and refuse to do any PVE relating things at all.

This has lead my to approach this achievement through the random dungeon system. I met many groups were happy to help me (after asking very politely ofc) however I also came across many groups who when I asked politely either did not respond or just flat out said no. This left me in a predicament, Do I constantly persist and almost beg to do the achievement? Do I silently grind my teeth and sit out the whole instance without protest? Or do I just leave and wait 30 mins with the lovely debuff?...

Just wanted to know what others thought...

Thanks

if i meet u id say no. dont waste my time with this crap. form a group dont use lfg. hell id prob vote kick u if u asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Memory
    Since other players aren't obliged to do what you want to do and they don't, you should either complete the run with 'em with no achievements or just leave :.
    I think another thing is if you make a premade macro explaining the fight,so that it is quicker for the group, and pst the leader saying you could explain it and the group has the right make-up if it does, and you need to know what it takes to do the achievment..It is not the groups resposibility to come up with a plan for your achievnment..One more thing if you hook up with a friendly tank and talk to him ahead of time it could make it easier. I find most groups will do what the tank asks. if they seem to know what they are doing and say what they would like done.

Im slowing doing it myself aswell, but since im no hurry, ill just ask if they mind doing the achievments im missing and most of the time, they dont mind.
    We probaly have ½year untill cata, so thers plenty of time, even if you only do a single random daily hc every week you can still get em all done.
    What you've just wrote is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!

you can always form an achievement run group from trade, you may have to do some that you have already tho.

10+ Year Old Account

Not that you or the mage could put out 10k dps under heroism, but the likelihood that there was not another interrupt and you just didn't recognize it
    Most forget that shaman have an interrupt. He probably missed it...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I'll admit: It's alot harder now to get the achievement that it was a year ago, thanks on major part to the LFG system. All people want to do now is get things done.

Quote Originally Posted by GISP
    Im slowing doing it myself aswell, but since im no hurry, ill just ask if they mind doing the achievments im missing and most of the time, they dont mind.
    We probaly have ½year untill cata, so thers plenty of time, even if you only do a single random daily hc every week you can still get em all done.
    I have it on 3 toons and working for it on a 4th, 2 of which i got 90 percent of them in pugs. If you do your job well and ask for help, with allready looking at the group comp and their abilities to play, and it looks easily doable. That is the time to ask, not just when you join a random and hope that it goes well. If its an easier one i just plainly say i could use (insert achievment here) if its not to much of a hassle for everyone..if they say no or ignore the comment. its not a big deal i will be here again.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Obligatory "I got my red proto-drake" statement.

With regard to helping others, if it's fast or easy, I'm usually willing to help out - but if it's "painful" or takes awhile, why would I bother? I have the achieve, I'm just there for my frost badges before moving on to "useful" things (from my perspective). "Easy" achievements include things like On the Rocks, Volunteer Work, and Less-Rabi. Zombiefest and Share the Love, on the other hand, are a quick "no" from me.

With regard to completing your own meta achievement, I'd suggest picking one (or more than one, if they're in a single instance), and asking in trade. Sure, it might take a few minutes to find a group... but you'll know everyone in the group wants to do the achieve, which is half the battle. If it's a good group, compare the meta and see how many more you can do as a group.

With regard to how you should react to others not wanting to do the achievements in a random LFG PUG, just grit your teeth, finish out the instance, and move on. There's absolutely no reason to expect that four random strangers - almost certainly there for either their daily 2x Frost badges or grinding Triumph badges - would have any desire to "waste" significant amounts of time. There is every reason to expect, however, that if you signed up for a random LFG... that you are willing to DO the random LFG: leaving early is immature and selfish. Note that if you're not there for the LFG, just for the achieve, you're better off grabbing a few as mentioned before.

Good luck on the mount.