Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Twin Peaks Battleground Preview thoughts?

Cataclysm: Twin Peaks Battleground
    Quote from: Blizzard (Source)
    Located within the Twilight Highlands, the Twin Peaks remains a crucial point of high ground for staging effective and debilitating attacks against the black dragonflight and the Twilight's Hammer, who dominate this foreboding environment. And now, two previous occupants of the nearby city of Grim Batol vie once again for control of the peaks' defenses. The Wildhammer clan, architects and original owners of the once-great fortress city, maintains some operations in forested outposts of the highlands. The Wildhammers now call upon heroes of the Alliance to help claim the peaks and fend off the Dragonmaw orcs. The Dragonmaw clan, having spent years working to enslave red dragons, once again provides strategic importance to the Horde. As the Dragonmaw and Wildhammers fight for territory they once called home, the Alliance and Horde carry out the struggle to control the Twin Peaks.

Capture the Flag
    Twin Peaks is a new 10 vs. 10, capture-the-flag-style battleground. Much like in Warsong Gulch, players must work to dominate variable terrain, infiltrate the enemy base, and steal the enemy flag, returning it to their fortress while remaining in control of their own flag. The first faction to capture three enemy flags before time expires will win the battle.

Dominating the Terrain
    Although the Wildhammer and Dragonmaw bases are virtually identical, the terrain surrounding each base is not. Players will need to work to control an asymmetrical field where the mountain peaks are divided by a valley river. A single bridge over the river serves as a choke point in the center of the map; although deep, the river can be crossed. On either side of the river sits an outpost where temporary character enhancements can be claimed. In addition, tree stumps and rocks throughout the valley create strategic points for you to use line of sight to your advantage. To prevent absolute domination by one faction through its control of the enemy graveyard, the Horde and Alliance players resurrected in Twin Peaks will spawn from one of two graveyards per faction.

Wildhammer Longhouse
    Serving as the Alliance stronghold in the north, the Wildhammer Longhouse hovers above the valley, atop a series of plateaus. With three entrances to the complex, players have two primary means of reaching the longhouse: scaling the plateaus to the northwest, or using the stairwell up the middle in order to access any of the three openings. Be careful, though! Falling or being knocked off the cliff can not only cause damage, but it can also hinder a successful offensive against or defense of the base.

Dragonmaw Clan Compound
    Acting as the Horde base in the south, the Dragonmaw Clan Compound sits over a body of water into which the valley's river feeds. With three entrances to the compound, players have a few means of getting inside. One entrance on the southeast side requires riding up an incline and crossing a knee-deep river. A second entrance is through a water pipeline leading from the surrounding lake, while the main entrance can be accessed via a bridge over the waterfront. You'll want to be aware of your surroundings when you use the main entrance, though, because players can be knocked down into the water, slowing their advance or crippling their defense.

Those who seek to control Twin Peaks will face an intense battle. The lands surrounding this ever-troubled location are key strategic strongholds of Deathwing and all of his followers. The Twilight Highlands are as rich with history as they are fraught with disaster and tragedy. Will the Dragonmaw clan, reinforced by Garrosh's Horde, take control? Or will it be the Wildhammer dwarves, reunited with their Ironforge brethren and accepted into the Alliance, who seize the peaks?

sounds pretty cool. arena players/melee can't QQ too much with los rocks and tree stumps. the bridge chokepoints sound like a neat idea for WSG, instead of wide open middle field. looking forward to it 8)

Re: Twin Peaks Battleground Preview thoughts?

You're right, we totally needed a separate thread for a topic that exists in it's own News post.

well i thought this was the pvp forum to discuss pvp things...

not to mention not all of us are linked to the homepage, or check them when we come here.

whatever tho.

Seems silly to have two different BGs that both have 10vs10 capture the flag. Twin peaks should be 15vs15 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri
    Seems silly to have two different BGs that both have 10vs10 capture the flag. Twin peaks should be 15vs15 instead.
    i like that idea, but i guess they're treating this like a different wsg map...

wtb a bg that isnt a mesh of every other bg. That is two in a row now.
    Even my horse has a Celestial Steed.
    http://imgur.com/kIg56.png

Warsong Gulch is a classic, so it's not bad idea to make another version of this popular battleground.

For people complaining, there will be two more battlegrounds besides Twin Peaks, that's more than WotLK and Burning Crusade together.

If arena has more than just one map, I think it's a good idea if there's going to be more capture the flag maps, etc. People can go ahead and disagree with me, but the environment plays an important role in any part of a game. Imagine if arena only had one map! Would it be as popular as it is now if it didn't have different maps and obstacles to play on? People who still play Warsong after all these years probably agree that a little change in scenery/obstacles would be nice.

WSG 2.0!

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri
    Well, watching over a leaked alpha video of it, (yes, I'm evil for looking, shoot me), the loading screen was of WSG. Honestly, after the cataclysm and the horde's advance on souther ashenvale...I don't see how there can still really be a wsg...maybe this is taking it's place? I hope so, I'd hate to have ANOTHER bg in the random bg que that I want to play but don't get :P.
    Here's my user friendly signature...enjoy.

Looks like just another wsg, but seems to be more thought out
    Quote Originally Posted by Syronicus View Post
    Theres no way to win on the internet. It's a never ending paradox of human stupidity
    Armory:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dragonblight/Ceradÿn/advanced

-too much like warsong gulch

-maybe i actually like vehicles in my BG's. > doesn't sound like there's any here

-dragonmaw joining the horde? I'd rather let in the blackrock clan under these circumstances! to balance it, instead of dwarves on the alliance side, let's put in some reformed Twilight's Hammer cultists. :
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

First thought: Yay! No vehicles!

Second thought: Hey, only 10v10? I won't lag and be a free kill.

Third thought: Concur with Zoeysan. It's perfectly fine to use the gameplay of other BGs and simply make additional maps. No need to try to jazz it up using multiple BG ideas.

Forth thought: AV style NPCs guarding AB style locations that, when captured over time, allows you to take the flag back to your base so you can purchase vehicles to assault the other factions base so you control the zone and loot pinata raid as well as giving your side a 5% damage & healing & absorption & pet damage, experience gain, and the ability to collect Soul Stone Keeper Relic Idol Shards.

Fifth thought: I miss Halaa. When are they going to fix the bombs?

my opinion, they could have been a lot more original then that, i know its early in development, but come on...
    Gnome Pride!

This may be similar in format, but the use of terrain offers strategic options to make it a whole new game.
    If this is the sign of battlegrounds focused less on rushes and more on strategy then things are looking promising.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I'm looking forward to this considering WSG is a classic & still one of my favorites. New terrain + chokes points can make things interesting.

All you haters can expect other new BGs so reeelax

I thought they were removing wsg since horde take control of that area...
    Don't quote me on this

My main concern was that these new bgs would be loaded with sieges, thank god it isnt. Battle of gilneas doesnt sound like it will have sieges in it either so thats 2 bgs without sieges, Im happy, I have always liked wsg to so this will be cool. Nice to see some LOS objects to, makes it more realistic, Wsg can be sort of frustrating at times when you got no chance at all to leg it and get to sefty in that big open field.

Thumps up from me.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Zoros
    Warsong Gulch is a classic, so it's not bad idea to make another version of this popular battleground.

For people complaining, there will be two more battlegrounds besides Twin Peaks, that's more than WotLK and Burning Crusade together.
    eye of the storm + strand of the ancients + isle of conquest + wintergrasp = 4 bg

twin peaks + 2 more bgs = 3 bgs

u fail

Quote Originally Posted by Wezzi
    eye of the storm + strand of the ancients + isle of conquest + wintergrasp = 4 bg

twin peaks + 2 more bgs = 3 bgs

u fail
    If you count wintergrasp as a bg you might as well count Tol Barad.... you fail! whooop
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...