I was reading the "How you got started in WoW" thread and there were some funny noob stories in there, so I thought it would be good to hear a few of the others. I'll start.

Back when I was 30ish (a month or so after release) in vanilla a bunch of us decided to raid an Alliance town. The problem was we didn't know where the heck to go. We ended up getting a raid of 40 together and just set off running from the barrens in a direction that we thought we'd find an Alliance town all hooping and hollering about how we were going to own so much Alliance face.

After a while we all realized that we had no freaking clue where we were heading so someone suggested this town "Menethil" that's "pretty close" to where we were. We headed off on the blimp all pumped up and ready to eat heads.

Now keep in mind this is back before you got mounts at lower levels so we were all running. We ended up running from crossroads in barrens all the way to wetlands on foot. Needless to say we lost some people along the 30 minute run to Menethil because "Dude, everything is red con" and our highest level toon was mid 30s. I remember the raptors in Arathi just annihilating our raid by picking off lowbies for a snack.

By the time we arrived at Menethil some 40 minutes after we started our mob, morale was pretty low and people were just about to leave. We finally arrived at Menethil and we were rewarded by being absolutely and mercilessly slaughtered by the guards there. It was a bloodbath of epic proportions. The guards there were 40ish at the time and our raid of mid teens to 30s toons just couldn't hack it. After all of the buildup for our mob along the way of "all of the noob Alliance we're going to kill" and then being massacred, the raid disbanded in under 5 minutes. It was like watching the Tyson - Holyfield fight where Tyson bit off his ear, so much build up and then oh such a fall.