Rolling a Tank for Catalysm...what should I prepare for? Tips? Help? etc

I have only ever played DPS classes. Played as a healer on friends characters in raids and didn't like it.

I am pretty bored of dps, dps meters and everything thats to do with DPS. I will be rolling a tank when Catalysm hits, probably a Goblin of some sort.

I know obviously most tanks have off-sets, but I am wanting to become a tank that never respecs to DPS. I just want to play as a tank always. After being dps for long I only want to stay in 1 role I do not like switching specs.

What class do you think is the best for this? As in the best possible tank to pick so I am able to become a 100% maintank with 0 time spent on collecting a dps/healing set.

Also, what should I look out for? Is becoming a tank any different to working your way up as a dps?

Re: Rolling a Tank for Catalysm...what should I prepare for? Tips? Help? etc

I play a Warrior Tank, but most people who tank seem to hate this class to tank with. That said, I rolled Protection around 40, and never looked back, used my PvE Tanking experience when it came to raiding, I sucked at it at first, but have gotten progressively better.

As to what to look out for, a key thing to do it look at the mana pools of your party members, especially the healer. You die, the party usually dies. You also need to know how to pick up adds, keep them with you, and distract stragglers, with tactics that differs across all 4 tanking classes.

If you want to roll a Tank and not deviate, I would advise rerolling completely and learning the basics while levelling, then applying what you know through dungeons.

Re: Rolling a Tank for Catalysm...what should I prepare for? Tips? Help? etc

Well you have a few options.

- A feral kitty will use almost exactly the same gear/spec for tanking and dpsing so you will be able to do decent dps when questing outside of instances.
    - I levelled a prot paladin back in the day which was fun - felt godlike soloing and aoe grinding although casters were a pain. Paladin tanking is pretty easy to pick up as well.
    - I hear prot warrior levelling is pretty fun too, although never tried it (you could try checking out the warrior forums for more info)

Your ability to do quests alone will be different to that of a pure dps, but it's hard to say how different as the levelling experience will change so much in Cataclysm - through spells and talents as well as the zones. You might want to try levelling some little alt tanks for the experience and see how you enjoy them.