Thread: Frost ArP

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Frost ArP

Hi everyone, to put it simply, is frost ArP a viable spec right now? I've seen some Death Knights speccing frost and gemming ArP to about 70%. I was always under the assumption that ArP wasn't so good as it only affected Obliterate, Blood strike, melee swings and Blood Caked Blade, however, apparantly to some people that seems to be enough to make them consider gemming it.

I am considering to gem it but would like to hear some peoples' opinions first.

Looking at it logically, Frost that gems for strength seems a lot stronger (in theory) as strength would affect all attacks, including Frost Strike, Howling Blast and Diseases, which ArP wouldn't.

Simply put, what do you think would have a better outcome, and why? How hard does Obliterate hit with ArP gemming, and is it enough to overcome the loss of damage from Frost strikes?

Something from a Frost DK who does gem ArP would be a great help.

Thanks for reading.

~Zaraxiel.

Re: Frost ArP

ArP is only good for Blood as far as I know, and blood is baaad so don't do that, go strength :P

I actually heard ArP is good for frost, I didn't manage to catch the reasoning why it was, but definitely seen some very good frost DKs gemming full ArP.

anyways if seen multiple people gemming arp aswel al blood as frost and what i heared its bigger total damage tho
    Quote Originally Posted by FHNNNG View Post
    Cool next time I'll say LFM ICC25 Need 1 Rape Victim, 4 Rapists, and 3 Therapists.

Hehe thats a lot of rape

ArPen frost > STR frost if you can get 90%ish+ with gear+gems

ArP frost is, overall, not worth it. Why? It's only a small ST dps increase over strength gemming - and when you come to a fight with ANY slight AoE or significant downtime on the boss where you are not meleeing it, then Strength is a much better stat.
    Prophecy are recruiting! Visit our website at http://warcraft-prophecy.net/ to find out more.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

I am also very curious about this too.. I mean ofcourse before gemming ArP you'd have to at least make sure you'd reach the passive. Just from the top of my head I don't think the T10 of Dk's offer a lot of ArP.. The helmet does I know.. but I'm not quite sure of the other pieces.. But what I do know is the 4 set is definitely worth it. So if you are unable to reach the passive cap with 4 set, I'd assume gemming Str would be more suitable for more damage output.

Quote Originally Posted by Finale
    I am also very curious about this too.. I mean ofcourse before gemming ArP you'd have to at least make sure you'd reach the passive. Just from the top of my head I don't think the T10 of Dk's offer a lot of ArP.. The helmet does I know.. but I'm not quite sure of the other pieces.. But what I do know is the 4 set is definitely worth it. So if you are unable to reach the passive cap with 4 set, I'd assume gemming Str would be more suitable for more damage output.
    The helmet, shoulders and chest all give ArP.
    Prophecy are recruiting! Visit our website at http://warcraft-prophecy.net/ to find out more.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

Okay, Thank you.. was unsure of it.. So yeah get those pieces of the 4 set and then It'd probably be quite easy to reach the cap.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Finale
    I'm currently at 50% ArP with 4 set bonus, without gems

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't classes who go for reaching the passive cap wanting around 70% without gems? I'm not sure.

Around 70-80% of Frosts total damage output is physical, thus ArP is sick for frost.

Unholy is the only one I'd go full strength on in gems, and even then with BiS gear ArP comes really damn close to it EP-wise.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

I have no doubts in your statement, but could you give me details of what moves and abilities make it 70-80% Physical?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaraxiel
    Hi everyone, to put it simply, is frost ArP a viable spec right now? I've seen some Death Knights speccing frost and gemming ArP to about 70%. I was always under the assumption that ArP wasn't so good as it only affected Obliterate, Blood strike, melee swings and Blood Caked Blade, however, apparantly to some people that seems to be enough to make them consider gemming it.

I am considering to gem it but would like to hear some peoples' opinions first.

Looking at it logically, Frost that gems for strength seems a lot stronger (in theory) as strength would affect all attacks, including Frost Strike, Howling Blast and Diseases, which ArP wouldn't.

Simply put, what do you think would have a better outcome, and why? How hard does Obliterate hit with ArP gemming, and is it enough to overcome the loss of damage from Frost strikes?

Something from a Frost DK who does gem ArP would be a great help.

Thanks for reading.

~Zaraxiel.
    From what I understand, and I may be wrong, at some of the higher gear lvls (probably mostly 25-ICC gear) you can start to gem ArP and it will increase your single-target dps by a decent amount. Your AoE dps will drop, but in reality, most AoE is trash, and who really cares if you only do 11-12k dps instead of 13-14k on trash.

I believe elitistjerks has some blurbs on ArP for frost

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by silentsyco
    From what I understand, and I may be wrong, at some of the higher gear lvls (probably mostly 25-ICC gear) you can start to gem ArP and it will increase your single-target dps by a decent amount. Your AoE dps will drop, but in reality, most AoE is trash, and who really cares if you only do 11-12k dps instead of 13-14k on trash.

I believe elitistjerks has some blurbs on ArP for frost
    I did check on the Frost thread on EJ but it didn't say anything regarding ArP, that, or I didn't read through it thoroughly enough. Thanks for the input though, I'll go read over it again to see if I did infact miss anything.

80%+ arp with gems > str
    blood bad? lol? i have yet to see unholy be top

Sigh...
    Didn't we just go through this a few days ago?

OP: Search a page or two back for the prior argement. And search through the Frost thread on EJ a bit more, there is good info in it re this.

In any case, this is basicly what it comes down to:
    ArP geming in a GoD build is perfectly viable if you have the gear to get close to the ArP cap. You will see an AOE decrease but it's not so drastic to be a detracting factor.
    However, the gain isn't all that much either. So it's almost a moot point. The only way to know where you stand is to run some sims. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Wingwraith
    Sigh...
    Didn't we just go through this a few days ago?

OP: Search a page or two back for the prior argement. And search through the Frost thread on EJ a bit more, there is good info in it re this.

In any case, this is basicly what it comes down to:
    ArP geming in a GoD build is perfectly viable if you have the gear to get close to the ArP cap. You will see an AOE decrease but it's not so drastic to be a detracting factor.
    However, the gain isn't all that much either. So it's almost a moot point. The only way to know where you stand is to run some sims. Period.
    Apologies, I just came home from holiday so I haven't had access to the internet, so I didn't notice there was another thread about this, though I did use search and didn't find anything.

As for on EJ, I've still yet to find anything regarding ArP, guess I just need to look much harder.

No worries. The EJ frost thread is pretty cluddered these days, and admittedly, there's not a lot of discussion of the merrits of ArP because it comes down to personal preference. There is no set point to make the switch like there was for say blood back in the day or for other classes. At EJ it's common knowledge that each persons gear set is the largest determining factor and each person is responcible for their own simming.

Personally, if you're not "cutting edge", I suggest not bothering. The time and hastle simply isn't worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

I've cleaned this thread up a bit and removed the off topic parts. I think the OP has had their question answered (thanks Wingwraith) but I'll leave the thread open because I'm sure other people will be asking this same thing within the next few days.