Poll: From a PvP perspective, do you think that rets are underpowered/lacking something?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Retribution in PvP? Underpowered?

Me and my friends had an argument/debate over how "overpowered" rets are in PvP. I tried to convince them at rets are kinda weak in PvP, but they tell me all those stories about bubble saving their arses all the time and that it should be removed in Cata, just like Lolvine Storm and Judgement.

Oh, and that rets are not allowed to get any better weapons then Tyrannical Beheader.

And the constant babbling about a paladin one of my noob friends do arena with. Ofc he has experience with his mage in the 2k+ bracket, that doesn't matter. Rets are still OP and should be ABomb'd.

I think rets are kinda weak if they aren't being carried by a healer/"tanky-thing" absorbing the damage for him.
    When I arena, I can just blow my burst macro, CC the partner, nuke the pala. When bubble has been popped, they're damn easy to nuke down. Dunno if those palas are just lame geared or something.

So.. What's your opinion?

Re: Retribution in PvP? Underpowered?

yea HoF, DS, 10000 second stuns, faceroll

totally underpowered

10+ Year Old Account

I know there are gonna be some retarded asshats whove never played a ret paladin who are gonna try and flame me here, because obviously THEIR class isnt OP in some form or way?

But in any case, my vote is that ret is MISSING somthing that other classes do have. Now I will admit, ret pvp has its advantages over certain classes and are high in burst, but the main reason WHY they are like that is because blizzard has not found a proper way to balance the paladin's core defensive and specced offensive utility.

In fact, many can argue that the 30 second CD between Avenging Wrath and Bubble is a hinderance on ret pvp. Its like asking yourself "Do you wanna die because everyone sees you popped wings and left yourself open, therefore making you target #1? or do you wanna bubble in a hot situation, making u do hardly enough dmg to ppl in full pvp gear, and letting them just wait to kill you?" I'm not saying that bubble isnt a kind of get out of jail free card, but it is the classes signiature ability, and therefore had to have some diversity in power against other classes.

What I really am concerned about for ret's, (and I'm talking about the ones who are full ret and use 2h, not those Prot/ret pansies who cant play their class like it should be and survive without Ardent Defender :) is that they have no form of MS effect like most Melee and ranged dps, which makes them unable to kill pvp geared healers at all without some form of outside assistance. and that they have no closer like other melee dps does, warriors have their charge (now two if you count Juggernaut) and a DK's death grip/Chains of Ice. Without at least ONE of those utilities, ret pvp is at a severe disadvantage when it comes to counterbalancing ranged opponents and casters with their utility belts of CC's and snares.

Now I know that some of you trolls out there are just gonna love trying to pick out my post because your gonna say "Lol you dont even play arena srsly", and youre right, I dont... do you know WHY? It's because ret pvp does not have a good enough pvp mechanic to truely be effective in any Arena comp other than 5v5. Just look at the charts of top arena teams. I bet you the percentage of Full rets are very limited and low in the 2v2 and 3v3 brackets, and i bet the majority of healers in those positions are paladin instead. "If you can't play ret, then go holy pvp" you say? well I for one am not gonna be pushed around by FoTM dumbshits telling me how to play my class 'properly' and be a healbotting bitch for them. TBH, I dont like healing, i prefer to dps the fuck outa my enemies in PvP, but at this point in time, i cannot do so effectively in Arena because there ARE some issue with my spec's pvp balancing.

Thats my rant, and theres my two Gold.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account

Rets have fantastic burst, heals, and great survivability due to plate/bubble etc. Your Gap closers are rep, HoF, and Hammer as well as enhanced movement speed at all times. They also have plenty of splash damage that can wear down pets and abilities such as a DKs worms and Hunters snakes virtually useless against them. Rets really are fine. They do have counter classes just like everyone but they really are not hard to play at all.

If you really want another gap closer, engineering is available to you.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    —Aristotle

15+ Year Old Account

lolwut
    For the Worgen! Furries of WoW unite!

Quote Originally Posted by Tayfow View Post
    What's the point of playing an easy game? When did this huge subset of people come to video games, wanting not a challenge, but some kind of interactive facebook type thing with spells?

Interrupt?

What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by Takanami
    Your Gap closers are rep, HoF, and Hammer as well as enhanced movement speed at all times.
    If your using Repentance as a gap closer then your DOING IT WRONG. Freedom will get purged/dispelled/spellstolen seconds after application if your fighting anyone with a quarter of a brain. Everyone has Tuskarr's Vit on their boots so PoJ is null. The only thing keeping Rets from being completely underpowered is that they can pop wings and destroy some poor fool in 5 seconds.

If a Ret gets caught without wings or bubble then they're eating dirt within 5 seconds.
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~Bill Watterson, creator of Calvin and Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by grendalik
    If a Ret gets caught without wings or bubble then they're eating dirt within 5 seconds.
    With frost mage against you it's 5 fucking minutes.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Everafter
    With frost mage against you it's 5 fucking minutes.
    no. They can kill a ret in 2.
    Because I should probably have a link to my armory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...e/smoff/simple

Quote Originally Posted by Smoff
    no. They can kill a ret in 2.
    Why would they want to, if they can kite me until I die from boredom :<

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn
    I know there are gonna be some retarded asshats whove never played a ret paladin who are gonna try and flame me here, because obviously THEIR class isnt OP in some form or way?
    I play a warrior in PvP and I don't feel very OP when someone disarms my bladestorm when I'm supposedly "not able to be stopped unless killed".

Paladins, especially rets, have too much utility for what they can do in PvP. But they can't be nerfed in any way that won't have a major impact on PvE.

Just one example of how arenas have started to break WoW.
    Fuge Haggot.

i would say battlegrounds ret r completly fine maybe need a interupt but arena theyre god awful and get kited around by everything :P

Ret using repent to close a gap in arena is like an enhancement shaman hexing to close a gap.

Quote Originally Posted by waddlez

totally underpowered
    could you please put me in the direction of these multiple 10000 second stuns? i have been looking through my spellbook and i only found Hammer of Justice, which is 6seconds not 10000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelgo
    oh def pie. Who the fuck likes cake more than pie? Ill tell you who. Nazis.

Good in battlegrounds (which is where most people make their assessments since...) underpowered in arena.

Not awful but simply doesn't offer as much to a matrix as other classes. Also kinda wimpy durability. People go 'oh bubble bubble you're such trouble' but seriously, what about the other 4minutes 48 seconds in the arena match?

Bad players complain about them endlessly. You ever do a battleground and watch a bunch of idiots (on either side) sit there, trying to kill a mage in iceblock or a paladin in bubble? Just mashing their weapon into them while the drool sprays everywhere? Those same idiots are the ones that complain paladins are overpowered.

Just to sum this up - If you complain about ret in arena, you are bad at this game. No exceptions.

Ret is still doing too much damage while maintaining a lot of defensive cooldowns, I mean, I was playing against Ret/DK in 2s one day, on my 1400 resi ele shaman, it seemed like ret just stomped on my hoof and took 50% of my hp. Talk about CC there? Not gonna happen, he had hand of sacrifice, my mage popped images and elemental which were nuking the DK, who just popped AMS. Yeah, I dropped in like 5 seconds, while stunned/silenced, which means 30% less damage for ele, plus I had Gift of the Naaru + stoneclaw totem + herbalism thingy + battlemaster trinket on me, because I managed to pop them all before the stun. This means they had to go through like 50k+ damage, and they still had no problems doing it.

So IMO, ret has too much synergy with other classes, but while left alone, it's about the worst dps class/spec atm, only good at destroying melee. By worst I don't mean it's just unplayable, but it's lacking something, maybe an interrupt like Wind Shear, but with either GCD or like 30 sec cooldown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Tferr
    Paladins, especially rets, have too much utility for what they can do in PvP.
    While they do have a lot of utility, they are at the moment buff machines with support dps and no reliable burst at all. Which makes them awesome for 5s, good for 3s, but terrible and hard for 2s. I think most rets would agree with me that they would trade some of this utility for more burst, which won't really affect PvE.

Another thought: Remember that the importance of PvP will be shifted to BGs, which may make some comps even more powerful - since the talents will be designed around 10v10 people at least.
    In BGs Rets are very impressive when faced against unsuspecting or unskilled opponents - but don't expect it in rated premades.
    And don't. Ever. Use. Repentance as gap closer.

Post above me - not true at all.

Deleted

Anyone who's been wtfbursted down by a ret paladin in this day and age, is undergeared, and fighting a ret paladin with very, very good gear.

If you fought another class, in equivical gear to the paladin, such as say, a warrior, you would die considerably faster.

This thread's shit btw.

Quote Originally Posted by waddlez

totally underpowered
    No seriously, cry harder I still need to polish my weapon.

HoF gets spellstolen and we are eating dirt
    Divine shield lasts 12 secs, then we are eating dirt again, if it's not dispelled earlier.
    10000 seconds stuns? Last i checked i had 3 stuns in my spellbook, one of then not being able to hit because you know YOU ARE NOT AN UNDEAD OR A FUCKING DEMON.
    Faceroll?
    FACEROLL?!
    THIS...
    IS...
    SKILL!

Quote Originally Posted by Nöx
    THIS...
    IS...
    SKILL!

It's not.
    Fuge Haggot.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Tferr
    I play a warrior in PvP and I don't feel very OP when someone disarms my bladestorm when I'm supposedly "not able to be stopped unless killed".

Paladins, especially rets, have too much utility for what they can do in PvP. But they can't be nerfed in any way that won't have a major impact on PvE.

Just one example of how arenas have started to break WoW.
    This is coming form the MSing, disarming, interrupting, gap closing, non DR inducing stunning, spammable snaring, fearing, cleaving, intervening...oh right. Sorry, go on?