Reflecting channeled casts

Is it possible to spell refelct channeled casts like mind flay or drain soul?

Re: Reflecting channeled casts

Quote Originally Posted by killerspieler
    Is it possible to spell refelct channeled casts like mind flay or drain soul?
    Yup, you can also reflect drain life and such

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Appelcalypse
    Yup, you can also reflect drain life and such
    Which funnily still heals the warlock for more than the damage he takes.

R.I.P. YARG

Does Spell Reflect have to be cast before the lock casts it or can you do it during? I haven't attempted this yet.

15+ Year Old Account

Before on any channelled spell effect.

Arcane Missiles is unique, if you reflect during the cast you'll reflect one of the missiles (two if the mage has OMG HASTE)

R.I.P. YARG

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

You can kill those Eye Stalk things in Naxxramas after the Heigan fight. Just throw up Spell Reflect and watch them kill themselves. It's pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Xall
    You can kill those Eye Stalk things in Naxxramas after the Heigan fight. Just throw up Spell Reflect and watch them kill themselves. It's pretty funny.
    another very very fun use of spell reflect is the final boss in old kingdom (the faceless guy) if you spell reflect his mind flay it will do about ~26k damage to him and he casts it about every 9 seconds or so. pwn his face up!

in PVP, if you cast spell reflection BEFORE the warlocks cast starts:
    - the three first waves of arcane missiles will get reflected, and the next ones you will have to take.
    - the drain life cast will just simply cancel, and he will have to use another global cooldown to cast it again.
    - the drain soul cast will simply cancel, and he will have to use another global cooldown to cast it again.
    - the mind flay cast will simply cancel, and he will have to use another global cooldown to cast it again.

summary: you need to use SR on direct spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Candlemaster
    another very very fun use of spell reflect is the final boss in old kingdom (the faceless guy) if you spell reflect his mind flay it will do about ~26k damage to him and he casts it about every 9 seconds or so. pwn his face up!
    I like the trash in OK just after the start. Some of the mobs have a really long cast that hits for a ton of damage. If you reflect that -> one hit
    This space is available for rent!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Strafir
    - the drain life cast will just simply cancel, and he will have to use another global cooldown to cast it again.
    - the drain soul cast will simply cancel, and he will have to use another global cooldown to cast it again.
    - the mind flay cast will simply cancel, and he will have to use another global cooldown to cast it again.

summary: you need to use SR on direct spells.
    Incorrect, channeled spells do not cancel. They will continue to channel their own spell at their own face until it ends or they cancel it themselves.

It's hilarious

R.I.P. YARG

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    Incorrect, channeled spells do not cancel. They will continue to channel their own spell at their own face until it ends or they cancel it themselves.

It's hilarious
    Do you play a warlock only? I've never reflected a channeled spell back (except arcane missles) and only experienced what the guy you are disagreeing with says. Everytime I click spell reflect on a channeled spell like drainlife, mindflay, drainsoul those spells simply need to be recast. Arcane missles will reflect some of the missle, but not all.

15+ Year Old Account

I have a priest and a warlock, and the last time I was reflected with a channeled spell this mechanic occurred.

Technically, yes they need to be recast, but if the Priest or Warlock does absolutely nothing but stand there, he/she will channel that spell at themselves with a full cast bar and animation but no beam because it's targetting their own character.

Keep in mind that with Shadow Protection it is very likely the priest could resist the reflection, but I'm not sure how that works exactly.

I always found this funny because when I get drain life reflected, I heal myself for more damage than I take. Not worth continuing as the healing is pretty abysmal but a great way to bypass the reflection mechanic - drain life + insta-cancel, then roll into whatever you wanted to do in the first place.

I'll test this next opportunity (grr 24 hour maintenance) to ensure something hasn't changed on me in the last while.

R.I.P. YARG

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

I have a friend with a shadow priest gherkin, and I'll be heading over to his house in a few minutes. I'll see if I can check it out and see. We can keep his priest unbuffed to avoid any resists. I'm curious to find out since the caster I play that channels a direct damage spell is my mage, and it's obvious what gets reflected with missles, not so much with these beams though.

Deleted

Reflecting a say, Mindflay, will return all 3 ticks. It's one spell, not seperate attacks.

Reflecting Arcane Missiles will only reflect those in the air between "+ Spell Reflection" and "- Spell Reflection".

You easily spot a reflected channel if the animation for said channel gets goofy.