Universe of Starcraft - Theorycraft

I really enjoyed the last thread I made, and quite frankly... it's almost as exciting as seeing actual details on what Blizzard is working on.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-...wow-expansion/

---

After reading through the comments, I began to speculate further on the topic.

Now, Blizzard has suggested that their new MMO would be a entirely new IP. This may remain to be true, but this may not be set in stone. Consider, that when developers of the likes of Blizzard begin working on new projects, the Lore, Gameplay, and Engine development does not have to coincide at early stages. So while Blizzard may have originally started working on a new set of Lore for a new IP for their new MMO that was in development, there is no reason why they couldn't change their mind. The bottom line is, until they make things public... anything can happen.

---

World of Wacraft Timeline
    Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (2002)
    Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (2003)
    World of Warcraft (2004)

Consider, WCIII was essentially the first in the WC series that *really* put a lot of time and effort into the lore. It was the primer from which World of Wacraft was able to be released to continue where WCIII's lore left off.

Throughout the development of WCIII, WoW was also being developed.

---

Theorycraft

Starcraft II (2010)
    Starcraft II: Protoss Expansion (2011)
    Starcraft II: Zerg Expansion (2012)

Universe of Starcraft (2013)

Consider that Starcraft II is going to bring us a story much richer then what was previously. They have made a point about highlightening this throughout the various interviews. Once again, is this a primer much like WCIII was? Are they building up a much richer set of lore?

As one poster in the previous discussion had pointed out: There is no way the new MMO would be based on high fantasy since WoW already exists. I agreed with him. Starcraft's theme also would fall in line with such a point.

This new MMO is also being developed at the very same time SCIII is being developed. Its timeline also seems to give Blizzard enough time to finalize their MMO before releasing it a year after the SCIII third expansion. Not to mention, between 4 games, they may even pad the releases by another year.

---

So how would it play out?

World of Warcraft
    I would argue that those who witnessed Vanilla WoW in the first weeks of release, and into MC, witnessed the best WoW has ever had to offer.

For those of us who were lucky, WoW felt like a undiscovered world with frontiers that only a handful of beta testers, who were relatively closed lipped knew about. I still remember being a Night Elf in my little starting area, still unaware of all the wondering that were left undiscovered for adventurers. As we made our way out of Qual'Dalas (sp?) the hugeness of the world became more and more apparent. It became more and more suprising how much Blizzard put into this game.

Then... roughly around level 25, when I took a boat to the Northern Kingdoms... I finally met the other races. The experience of that was nuts. Imagine, having played a Night Elf for days or what not, and finally seeing a gnome run by you. WTF was that!? Or realizing when you leave the Island of Qual'Dalas, how big the world is around you.

Then, around 30ish, when you begin to see Horde, the senses are further hightened. No longer is the world safe. There are people looking to kill you in neutral territories. Leaving the towns is not safe.

That kind of adventure is more or less removed for all players who missed this opportunity, so I'll save you the nostolgia.

Starcraft

You wake up to the sound of humming. As you open your eyes, you the crypopod-like device you are in open up. You step out and are created by an computer's voice. "Hello young one. I am pleased to report that you have successfully passed genial synthesis hypernation. You are on your way to honoring your brothers in the Protoss Legion." You're starting area is largely a training camp. You fight alien creatures as you level up, gaining new abilities and eventually choosing a path at level 20. Do you learn the arts of being a Dark Templar? A Zealot? It's up to you, and your training and quest paths differ depending on the path.

As you hop from planet to planet within your solar system, your path to becoming a Dark Templar grows closer. With each level that passes, your obtain gear that begins to differentiate you from other classes in your level range. No longer do you look like any other Protoss civilian in loincloth, but instead you find yourself draped in silk garbs with elegant tribal jewelry. Your physical appearance has also changed; the psionic training you have underwent has caused you eyes to dark and resonate a glow you don't quite understand. Your legs are weaker, as you no longer walk on your feet, but let your new found abilities navigate you.

You see your Zeolot buddies running around with their footman's gear, some with better handgear and armor then others. You gather some together... it's time to head into the next galaxy. You have a mission on your hands to deliver a message to the High Chancellor in command there.

You take the nearest warp gate to the BA41 galaxy. Things are different here. It is much more war torn, and the elegance and bueties of your home world are just not present. As you embark onto your first sets of missions on this new planet, it is here where you meet these strange new creatures. Some running around marked in Blue... you've seen him before, in the debriefing seminars... it's one of the Human Marines. As you begin to charge up a psyonic blast to take him out, before he turns around... you fall to your knees, as you stop casting. You roll over to see a Hydralisk standing atop you, staring before he begins to devour your body.

Key Features:
    * 3 Races with 3 *main* galaxies, and many others neutral ones
    * Many non-main races which will pose a common threat for all three races
    * PVP which includes one race fighting two races at once potentially
    * Much like Aliens vs Predator, the game, this could be an MMO-FPS, if rumors hold true.

Deleted

Re: Universe of Starcraft - Theorycraft

Quote Originally Posted by Mehdi

Much like Aliens vs Predator, the game, this will be a MMO-FPS
    No, just NO ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mehdi
    Theorycraft

Starcraft III (2010)
    Starcraft III: Protoss Expansion (2011)
    Starcraft III: Zerg Expansion (2012)
    Fix it before the trolls get here!

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane
    No, just NO ...

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane
    No, just NO ...
    Hate to break it to you, but rumors have been pretty strong that this is one of the areas Blizzard has been looking at. We shouldn't expect that their new MMO would be like WoW -- why would we, especially if it does remain alive side-by-side with this one?

Hmm =(