Lich King Transition

Okay I'd love to get a few tips on the first transition phase for the Lich King. We're about there but it's a little sloppy.

Raid Compositon:

Tanks: Main tanking LK = Paladin, Off tanking adds = Death Knight
    Healers: Shaman, Paladin & Holy Priest (Disc possibly better, not causing a problem)
    Melee: Currently a little fluid because of work & other commitments but pick 2 from rogue, shaman, warrior & another rogue (we don't use 2 rogues at the same time)
    Ranged: Warlock, Arcane Mage, Fire Mage (me, recent convert)

Most of our members are ICC25 geared with some heroic pieces thrown in too.

Phase 1: No problem at all. Shaman handles dispels onto the adds tanked by DK perfectly. We usually burn LK to 70% before more than 2 adds are spawned.

Transition:

Our pally tank originally had trouble picking up the Spirits quickly enough before they one shot the range. She now gets the first one pretty well but sometimes, I believe (though I could be wrong) she's getting silenced by Soul Shriek and is sometimes delayed in picking up the second or third. Does that happen to pally tanks?

Our DK is usually twiddling his thumbs at this stage, because he has nothing to do after the horror goes down. Should he getting involved? Is it viable to have the pally pick up the first Spirit and then have the DK pick up the second? One of our raid members said that the DK couldn't have anything on him going into Phase 2 but why would that be? It's the pally who has to go back to tanking the Lich King while we burn down the last Spirit.

(Personally I only switched to fire last night but with good results. During the transition I living bomb all the stuff out on the platform edge (and throw my pyros over there too) and then dps the ice spheres because I have a longer range with fire spells)

Re: Lich King Transition

Raging 1 Pally Raging 2 DK Raging 3 Pally Raging 4 DK
    /end

Thanks. I sorta double posted here and on the wow forums. The number of idiots over there is high but I got some decent replies rapidly and they suggested something similar. Either switching the pally and DK completely and/or dividing the spirits between them. I'll talk it over with our tanks

Both tanks should tank Raging Spirits, not just one. With 3 healers and your ICC25 gear, plus 20% healing/HP buff, your tank can even tank at least a spirit and LK for a while, provided your healer dispel silence on tank fast enough (yes, our raid dpses cant kill every Spirit off before entering phase 2, lol)

Have the priest switch to disc if possible. Disc has better tools to handle damage-spiking situation, and a well geared disc can bring additional 10k HP for every member of the raid, thus make the last phase much much easier. The druid can cover the raid with HoT and general AoE damage.

This setup is very similar to our original setup when we were doing this. We had the DK tank all of the adds in both transition phases and had the pally tank sit back and do the dispelling of the silence. It just seems that the pally has more utility during this phase with the ability to dispell the silence where the DK can't. We had no issue with the DK taking every spirit that spawned in either P1 or P2 transition phases. But we also had the pally tank handle all of the adds to handle the dispelling of plague in P1 so the DK was ready when the first transition started. The pally was there in case an add got loose, but then the DK taunted off and tanked it.

Once the tank gets the taunting down so that casters don't get 1 shot, anybody can really do it.

15+ Year Old Account

If a pally gets silenced by a different spirit, he/she won't be able to taunt or cast any spells to pull a spawning spirit off someone. Have your DK stand away from the first spirit and taunt the second off while the first is being burned down. Then your pally can stand ready to pick up the third.

Once the transition ends, let your free tank tank the Lich King until the first soul reaper, then start taunting as you should.

When we first killed it we had a pretty similar setup but with a resto druid not shaman.

It was with the 10% buff at the time, we had one of our tanks tank all the adds (usually the DK) and the pally continued with any ghouls that were left over from poor p1 management (which was frequent =P). They died pretty quick anyway. We usually had 2 spirits up when we had to run back into the middle. The pally would then tank the LK while the raid focused the spirits down, still tanked entirely by the DK.

In p2 we would pretty much wait for ardent defender to proc until we swapped tanks.

Pretty much the same for p2 -> p3 cept we used bloodlust to nuke spirits down to help the transition. Then it was pretty much just a cluster f*ck for p3 and we somehow got the kill =P

Or use both mages spec fire and kill all the spirits whit Living bomb.
    What you've just wrote is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!

10+ Year Old Account

One thing you may want to try, that works very well for us, is having the Paladin tank the adds in Phase 1.
    This will allow you to do a few things.

1) It will let your paladin be the "dispel guy" on the Necrotic Plague
    2) It will allow you to use Righteous Defense on melee that get ghouls on them, and pull up to 3 at a time off, helping you build the stacks higher.
    3) It allows the use of Hammer of Justice AND Holy Wrath (which is on a shorter CD) to stun the Shambling Horrors when they enrage.
    4) It allows the DK, who is less affected by the conical silence, to tank the Raging Spirits

During the transition phase, have the Paladin dispel the silence off the DK, as he is not totally immune to any negative effect of it.
    Once the Shambling Horrors and all ghouls are dead, if you are following the proper set-up, you should have two distinct groups of people; basically, the melee on the spirits, the person tanking the spirits, and if necessary (i.e. if that only adds up to 3 people), one other ranged (or healer, preferably a mail or plate-wearer.)
    The paladin should go to the RANGED group, and stand away from the conical silence, and continue dispeling the silence off the other tank. Keep a consecrate down, so if a Raging Spirit spawns, it will target the paladin instead of the healers or other squishies.
    Once the phase ends, the Paladin runs in and taunts the Lich King, while the Death Knight remains on the adds.

This last part is done for two reasons:

1) First, and foremost, because the DK already has the adds, and switching it up is just another way things can go wrong
    2) Because Ardent Defender is OP against Soul Reaper

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by GISP
    Or use both mages spec fire and kill all the spirits whit Living bomb.
    You're thinking of the wrong spirits. They're talking about the big bad spirits during the transition. Easy mistake i know, to fix it try reading the title of the thread.

In other words:

>>POINT OF THE THREAD>>
    ________
    / _ _ \ <---- Your head
    [ o o ]

Your DK shouldn't have any issues tanking LK the last phase i have tanked this quite a few times on 10 even living through an enraged soul reaper thanks to AMS and vamp blood. that leaves the pally to be able to AoE taunt the vial spirits meaning range can stick to the boss for the phase making this alot quicker and less painful.

Hammer of righteousness can be cast during silence, so there's no real issue here tbh.
    Make sure your raid members spawn the spirit right on top of your tank(s).

Silence can be dispelled also.

Thanks again everyone. I actually got it slightly wrong originally in that it is our DK tank that is taking the Lich King in P2, hence wanting him to be free of the adds when that phase begins. DK's I believe are better suited to MT in that phase anyway.

I'll see what the group says but viable options seem to be switching the tanks in P1 or sticking with our current setup and have the pally tank pick up Spirits 1 & 3, while the DK picks up 2 which should be close to death in phase 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Andaya

Our pally tank originally had trouble picking up the Spirits quickly enough before they one shot the range. She now gets the first one pretty well but sometimes, I believe (though I could be wrong) she's getting silenced by Soul Shriek and is sometimes delayed in picking up the second or third. Does that happen to pally tanks?

Our DK is usually twiddling his thumbs at this stage, because he has nothing to do after the horror goes down. Should he getting involved? Is it viable to have the pally pick up the first Spirit and then have the DK pick up the second? One of our raid members said that the DK couldn't have anything on him going into Phase 2 but why would that be? It's the pally who has to go back to tanking the Lich King while we burn down the last Spirit.

(Personally I only switched to fire last night but with good results. During the transition I living bomb all the stuff out on the platform edge (and throw my pyros over there too) and then dps the ice spheres because I have a longer range with fire spells)
    Have your fail priest dispel the silence off the tank......

The dk tanking the horrors only needs to stay away until the adds are dead and the disease has been dispelled off of him so its no longer an issue. After that, he's free to pick up adds. just make sure whoever's tanking LK after the transition doesn't have an add on him when the time comes.

Its also important to note that the dk will be silenced by the adds too... but it's dispellable and should be dispelled

Another really simple and obvious solution we use. Have your tank that add tanks in P1 tank the ghouls and just keep taunting the raging spirits, building threat etc.

Have your MT build threat on the new raging spirits and tank them until your OT can taunt them off. Worked for us without any issues.