Looking into new computer/new CPU

Greetings. I am looking into buying either a brand new computer or maybe just a new CPU. I am currently running a 3yr old AMD at 2.5ghz. Thoughts on maybe just overclocking it? Should I be worried about heating issues if I do?

Should I just upgrade it? I am also running 3.5gb of RAM and have a ~500watt power supply along with a Nvidia 8600 GS graphics card.

If you have any advice on what I should, let me know. Just looking to upgrade before Cata as right now it runs everything fine, just want something a bit more powerful for the new xpac.

Re: Looking into new computer/new CPU

Overclocking can be tricky and outright risky unless you know what you're doing. Looking at your upgrade options first is very much recommended. Your PSU should be able to handle anything you can plug into 3year old computer. What you can and can't do with upgrades depends entirely on what's the exact model of your motherboard.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Yeah, I am at work right now and I can't recall what I have off the top of my head. I will have to check when I get home. What should be the first thing I upgrade? Graphics? Processor? 3.5gb is the most RAM I can take as I am running Vista 32bit. I do need to pick up another stick of 800mhz RAM though, as my other stick is still 667mhz, so the 800 stick is coming down to 667

Quote Originally Posted by Deluyxe
    What should be the first thing I upgrade? Graphics? Processor? 3.5gb is the most RAM I can take as I am running Vista 32bit. I do need to pick up another stick of 800mhz RAM though, as my other stick is still 667mhz, so the 800 stick is coming down to 667
    Your graphics card will run WoW totally fine today if you drop shadows out, everything else can be maxed. But it's getting pretty outdated and will have problems with other games coming out this year. CPU upgrade should be the best way to make WoW run faster, but it depends entirely on your mobo if it will accept much faster CPU or not.

In some cases overclocking can be relatively easy and effective, but odds are it wont be either. If you have some extra money handy at the moment and feel like adventuring, you could look into some serious overclocking since there's very little to lose even if you fry the CPU for some reason now that you're looking into upgrades anyway.

Upgrading the RAM sticks is not really necessary, sure it will boost performance slightly but it's in 1-2% range for practical gaming or normal desktop applications and pretty much wasted money. RAM speeds are important only if you're into serious overclocking or are looking to get the last few % of performance out of your setup you can get.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Well, personaly I would wait for the expansion, after that and taking in consideration how the pc handle it, try oc, then depending on results decide either to upgrade or not.
    If it is a AM2+ motherboard you can prolly get away with a simple bios and processor upgrade.

Yeah, I will have to check what mobo I have when I get home from work and then will let you guys know so you can start suggesting some new equipment as I am pretty clueless when it comes to upgrading PCs

Don't OC on a stock cooler especially if you don't have good airflow or your case is under your desk.

Okay, so I have a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ 2.5ghz.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh
    Don't OC on a stock cooler especially if you don't have good airflow or your case is under your desk.
    My computer isn't under my desk, it sits on the ground, but not under anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Deluyxe
    Okay, so I have a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ 2.5ghz.

My computer isn't under my desk, it sits on the ground, but not under anything.
    If you plan on OC'ing I suggest getting a proper CPU cooling system. You can get a decent one for under $50.00