Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Vague Hero Class Idea: Caster Tank

Don't flame me!! This is just a basic idea that I would like some opinions on...

What if Blizzard changed it up just a little bit and made a clothy tank class? Of course the class would have to rely on bubbles, self HoTs, and abilities that allow for holding threat at range (at times) without moving the boss or target (pets?)...maybe even talents/abilities that boost HPs possibly temporarily..

I know it kinda sounds crazy... and I'm sure im not the first to think of it. But the idea comes from wanting to roll a tank class but hating melee combat. What do you guys think?
    Don't ERP me bro!

Re: Vague Hero Class Idea: Caster Tank

really cool idea, if anything like that would come, i would reroll asap
    -Made by cazy

Deleted

Would belive we have about 1000 other posts about the same thing :c
    will most likey be demo locks that will tank with metamorphosis.
    They have SP for threat
    They have extra armor
    Immolation(aura) for aoe threat
    We dont need a new.

Hmm... Idk... I feel like Warlocks would be nothing compared to them... Because ofcourse you have to look cool to taunt stuff at you like "Omg this guy is so awesome, probably is badass... Need take him first". That would involve a black cloth gear, black shadow abilities, black katana wich is used for spell rituals to taunt creatures and protect the wielder...

Would be too awesome, so idk... Poor locks...

I do think it would be neat if they changed up tanking mechanics. Right now, it would be hard to impliment because of how tanking works. If you were a low-hp cloth wearer, one mistake and you go splat- which is why people gear stamina and mitigation over dodge. When you don't dodge it hurts a lot.

If they did change stuff up though, would be neat to see some classes that tanked in more interesting ways than 'did not die when hit'.

Reminds me a little of FFXI. Only game I've ever enjoyed tanking. One class that was often used to tank was ninja, because they could completely evade attacks. You chain your utsusemi: ichi and utsusemi: ni together well and it made you feel invincible. Still kind of weird that a class known for being sneaky and avoiding detection was used to keep attention, but was still fun. I wouldn't imagine a IRL ninja would be above attracting attention to themselves so their allies could gack the enemy from behind though.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

pretty sure they learned their lesson with deathkids

Next hero class is likely going to be another ranged melee like a hunter with caster abilities like an enhancement shaman/DK.
    Smile

I don't know, there's already plenty of ranged classes, and ranged casters. They need a physical ranged, sure, but not sure what it would be.

Also, blizzard uses classes from previous lore mostly. Runemaster still is a very likely candidate, as its a fairly prominent Warcraft class yet doesn't exist in WoW (hmm, kind of like Kul Tiras). They actually said monk was going to be the hero class but it got nixxed in favor of Death Knight because it felt more appropriate to the WotLK setting. I believe Necromancer was another they were pondering but they felt that they had enough cloth casters for the moment and it would be hard to differentiate it enough from mage and warlock.

And of course, there is still the demon hunters.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Excellent
    Don't flame me!! This is just a basic idea that I would like some opinions on...

What if Blizzard changed it up just a little bit and made a clothy tank class? Of course the class would have to rely on bubbles, self HoTs, and abilities that allow for holding threat at range (at times) without moving the boss or target (pets?)...maybe even talents/abilities that boost HPs possibly temporarily..

I know it kinda sounds crazy... and I'm sure im not the first to think of it. But the idea comes from wanting to roll a tank class but hating melee combat. What do you guys think?
    A caster tank isnt really "imposible"..... Since the only things that sets tanks appart from other ppl is armor...and ofcourse spells and talents that come with class to reduce damage and hold treat...but that is stuff u can give a clothy.....all u would have to do is have a talent to makearmor go up as other stats go higher .....as to say higher spell power higher armor..necromancers could fit the role....BLIZZ IF U CAN HEAR THIS GET UR BUT IN GEAR AND MAKE A CLOTHY TANK :P

I just don't even want to imagine such a class in arena, especially if it also has some reliable CCs like polymorph...

IMMA CHARGIN' MA' VENGEANCE!

They'd have to have spell after spell after spell to just layer on so many layers of protection on themselves.

Otherwise, it'd just be kiting which we see done a lot now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

I think the caster/tank idea was transferred into more of a death knight type of thinking instead of an actual caster. I'm fairly sure blizzard saw a problem with that as they would have to have incredibly high avoidance and mitigation along with little to no spell knockback, and they would have to have some serious utility on top of all of that to even keep up with the rest of the tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil
    They'd have to have spell after spell after spell to just layer on so many layers of protection on themselves.

Otherwise, it'd just be kiting which we see done a lot now.
    OH, DUDE, A cool concept, A bubble right, But their a terrible class, and they have to buff themselves constantly by casting spells to regain their buffs, at a max of 50, Each stack soaks like 100 Damage influenced by Spell power, They use Defense rating, and spell power, Don't stack stam, Need int to keep mana up to keep the stacks up.... It sounds kind of cool to me, but then, I just ate Five thousand IU's of Vitamin D with a Diet coke.
    Oh... A Twilight/Wow Cross over RP huh?... Alright, I'll join in, My name is Bae'noukul, I'm a 36,978 year old Demon Warlock. I walk into the room where everything is happening now, and because I need to have one weakness I DIE ON THE SPOT. Three guesses as to what my weakness was.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookies_N_Creme
    OH, DUDE, A cool concept, A bubble right, But their a terrible class, and they have to buff themselves constantly by casting spells to regain their buffs, at a max of 50, Each stack soaks like 100 Damage influenced by Spell power, They use Defense rating, and spell power, Don't stack stam, Need int to keep mana up to keep the stacks up.... It sounds kind of cool to me, but then, I just ate Five thousand IU's of Vitamin D with a Diet coke.
    Essentially, They get like 50K health, And are one shot without their stacks.
    Oh... A Twilight/Wow Cross over RP huh?... Alright, I'll join in, My name is Bae'noukul, I'm a 36,978 year old Demon Warlock. I walk into the room where everything is happening now, and because I need to have one weakness I DIE ON THE SPOT. Three guesses as to what my weakness was.

YOU'RE ON TO SOMETHING MAN

But seriously, huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh
    I don't know, there's already plenty of ranged classes, and ranged casters. They need a physical ranged, sure, but not sure what it would be.

Also, blizzard uses classes from previous lore mostly. Runemaster still is a very likely candidate, as its a fairly prominent Warcraft class yet doesn't exist in WoW (hmm, kind of like Kul Tiras). They actually said monk was going to be the hero class but it got nixxed in favor of Death Knight because it felt more appropriate to the WotLK setting. I believe Necromancer was another they were pondering but they felt that they had enough cloth casters for the moment and it would be hard to differentiate it enough from mage and warlock.

And of course, there is still the demon hunters.
    The only class that would fit lore in anyway for ranged would be Dark Ranger, which I would imagine could be a Rogue/Hunter cross with a stealth (temporary, talented permanent maybe). Bows, Crossbows, Guns, Throwing weapons, Daggers, Swords, and Axes. Assassination Tree, Shadow Tree, and Marksman Tree.
    Smile

You sir, win 100 internets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shireshireshireton, shireville, the shire

Death Knight tank much?
    Quote Originally Posted by perix View Post
    there are people that think war is like cod.
    That covers just about every twelve year old in America.

Essentially, They get like 50K health, And are one shot without their stacks.
    No tank is currently penalized like that atm, i doubt many would want to play such a hard class, and carrot-on-stick won't work so much.

IMMA CHARGIN' MA' VENGEANCE!

Maybe this would help for faster queues in dungeons.