Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Tricks/Tips for the new 80 getting into ICC pugs?

Just get nice gear and about 5k gs for one spec, and get underachiever and link like plaugewing and stuff and your prolly guarrented to get in. When i first got my shaman to 80 i was extremely sick of playing one cause i leveled fast and hard (about 5 days to 80) and in the end i just took a break, but when i came back some friends carried me through some raids (Ony10, Naxx10/25, etc.) and i got some gear from there to. Although from ICC5 mans nothing ever drops for me =[ and sorry if i didn't anwser correctly or whatever, i kinda TL;DR.

Quote Originally Posted by suspendedstasis
    Did you read anything he said? He obviously knows how to play the character, its just a matter of terribad GS caring raid leaders taking him. Get off the damn GS QQ train.

OT: I have no real advice other than do Heroics as if your life depends on it. Badge up, gear up, sneak in if possible.
    Y i did all i can se he is worried about his GS. U can get pug without 5,5k gs if u r good enough. I have seen ppl getting pugs (myself) with alts who has 4,7k or lower gs and req was over 5,5k gs etc.. So it gs doesnt matter. Also ppl are relying too much on gs. They check ur gs but not how its ur gear gemmed or how is ur specc or do u have right kinda items etc. Most likely furry warrior with 6k gs who wields daggers wont do that much dmg than furry warrior wields 2h weapons etc -.-

Also myself i take 4,5k gs guy who knows how to move away from fire and knows what to his class rather than 6k gs arcane mage with int and hit trinkets + yellow sockets +20 haste rating

Also most ppl even if they have req gs they wont pull that much dps what they should pull. What i have seen avarage dps on stomreaver EU pugs is 4-6k few guys can get 7-8k but still.

Also ppl with 200 ilvl blues can kill icc bosse's so it doesnt req over nine thousand gs to complete

You could try giving raid leaders the actual DPS you do (according to simulations or spreadsheets) rather than your gearscore. An intelligent raid leader realizes that it is your TRUE (unlike itemlevel-based one) potential, and can thus make an educated decision on whether he wants you in the group or not.

Personally I haven't had much luck using this method: "10428 simulated DPS on 5min encounter +-20% on encounter length, calculated over 10000 iterations, all raid buffs, no 20% ICC buff taken into account" and I get an answer "GS?", but it might be worth a try regardless. Maybe you can find a raid leader more intelligent than a cockroach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mykk
    Y i did all i can se he is worried about his GS. U can get pug without 5,5k gs if u r good enough. I have seen ppl getting pugs (myself) with alts who has 4,7k or lower gs and req was over 5,5k gs etc.. So it gs doesnt matter. Also ppl are relying too much on gs. They check ur gs but not how its ur gear gemmed or how is ur specc or do u have right kinda items etc. Most likely furry warrior with 6k gs who wields daggers wont do that much dmg than furry warrior wields 2h weapons etc -.-

Also myself i take 4,5k gs guy who knows how to move away from fire and knows what to his class rather than 6k gs arcane mage with int and hit trinkets + yellow sockets +20 haste rating

Also most ppl even if they have req gs they wont pull that much dps what they should pull. What i have seen avarage dps on stomreaver EU pugs is 4-6k few guys can get 7-8k but still.

Also ppl with 200 ilvl blues can kill icc bosse's so it doesnt req over nine thousand gs to complete
    i agree with u Mykk..
    i mean a dead DPS is NO dps..and he can have 9000GS or 4500GS a dead on is a bad one...
    if the guy with 4500 GS is doing aprox 5-6K dps and not standing in fire (means the whole fight a steady 5-6K dps)
    or like u said the arcane mage with 6K GS doing 10K dps and dies in the first Fire/bonestorm combination.
    ill take the 4500GS dewd...

and talking about such my hunter with GS 5301 now (was 4804, when he entered ICC 10).
    The raidleader is an IRL friend of mine..
    so some ppl started to bitch about my GS...and the RL just said i wanna bet you guys the hunter out performs one of you 6K GS peeps in any way possible if not i will kick him..
    so i did the most damage on spikes which where NEAR melee range...and my friend linked that and our MT (one of the most respected Tanks in one of the best guilds on the server) just said...look at you bunch of GS horny <Insert bad words here> even the hunter with low gearscore is outperforming you guys and he knows what he is doing. things ended good killing upto sindragosa in a PuG so i was happy didnt got much gear tho but im not that worried because a day later i got an whisper from the TANK if i wanted to come ToGC 25 man (yes i was boosted hahaha) with his guild because they where 1 short. and my answer was what about my GS...and he said "nah man dont worry we dont work with GS here we work with brain and u have that"

TL;DR :

Hunter (GS 4804) doing his job (killing spikes, kiting adds move away from fire) while 6K GS nobrainers didnt do theirs. Tank from one of the most respected Guilds on the server was very happy and invited the hunter in his guildrun for ToGC 25.

Gearscore SUCKS.../end

Buy ICC crafted gear using saronites.
    Get some TOC gear from the badges you can save up. Some badge gear are BOE, either from Toc or Ulduar. You might get TOC gear crafted as well, they are cheap now.

As for your ring, ICC rep will quickly build up to get you a nice ring.

When you have blue slot, add stamina to your gear.
    Go heroic 5-man ICC's, can get you nice gear to get started in ICC too.
    Run VOA to see if you are lucky enough with free tier 10.

Its not hard to do, maybe you will not get into ICC 1st week you dinged 80 (unless you are in a guild), but 2nd or 3rd.

I remember back at Naxx times, everybody wanted to know how much dps/hps(silly) u make, bevore inviting you to a pug. That was at least a little bit more valid than this stupid gearscore shit. I dont even know my main or alts gearscores, and I dont care.

I still managed to get into pugs with my fresh alt, having DMG card i.e. as trinket and even a couple blues. I kept insulting RLs who just looked at GS, and told them i could also equip higher iLvl things to make less dmg, if that would make em happy, and so on. 70% of the times i was invited, the rest - well probably better not to run with this pug, because obviusly a retardet RL makes not a good raid, and NOONE with a clue in that game gives much about GS!

If competition for spots in those select few raiding guilds is so fierce, why aren't you just forming your own raiding guild? It sounds like there's a large population of people on the realm who want to raid and are just sitting on their thumbs. Approach them, and see if you can get enough of them to come to ICC reliably for a little while. Or better yet, even go back and do ToC as well in order to fill slots of people who aren't in the gear level for ICC (which is a load in and of itself, considering rotface/blood princes was downed by a guild in all blues) and draw your guild from those people as well.

I'd agree with what most people are saying in that if the raid leader is that focused on just your gearscore and won't check your actual gear then it's probably not a raid you want to get into anyway. If the only thing you need to get into the raid is a gearscore then your odds of having a bunch of tards with dual hit trinkets and WAY over hit cap who stand in the fire and do horrible dps are high.

To improve your odds of getting into a descent raid make sure that you have everything enchanted and gemed with the best possible stuff, have your tradeskills maxed and properly utilized on your gear, etc. Show that you understand what you are doing and are trying to maximize what you have.

I'd also say that trying for stuff closer to the reset is a good idea. The groups might not be as good or get as far but they also aren't as picky about GS typically. Don't forget the VoA 10/25 runs. A little luck on drops there can go a long way on your gear too.

Assuming you've pugged on your previous characters in the past and have done well with a couple groups you might try checking with them to see if they will let you bring your new druid. If they know you've done well in the past they are much more likely to accept a slightly undergeared character.

The ultimate thing is just to lead your own ICC 10 pug.

I don't recommend using underachiever to fake links.

#1. They can inspect you or use GS or EG and see that you faked it. This will pretty much ensure you don't get into any raid good or bad.

#2. When you kill Saurfang and get the lower spire achievement it's gonna be pretty obvious you faked any ICC related achievement. Might have already gotten in the raid but if pugs are as important as you say why would you want to damage your rep right at the start?

Whenever I want to get into a pug on my alt priest I whisper the raid leader in flawless English that I don't have the achievement but have cleared 11/12 icc25 hc on my main character(which is a complete lie). I ask if he'd want a quick rundown of some tactics to show that I know the fights.
    - I even have it in a macro.
    - It usually gets me an invite.
    - My priest has around 5100 gearscore for those who care.
    Fuge Haggot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrrandion
    ... I really don't want to spend weeks in TOC 25 waiting for a few 245s to appease the GS crowd.

*Quick note. I hate GS, and I will continue to until blizz breaks the addon. But like it or not allot of raid leaders use it to determine who they will invite, so having so many low ilvl items (even though they're awesome dps increases) will probably drastically hurt my chances of getting a group.
    wow. You don't want to inconvenience yourself by spending a few weeks to jump ahead and skip 3 full tiers of content? I'm sorry for you. Unfortunately GS is successful because of people like you who think that somehow being 80 entitles them to jump right into current top tier raids. If GS didn't exist, the raid leader of a competent raid would look up your armory or inspect you, see your starter 200 epics, and ask that you spend a few weeks in ToC gearing up a bit ... GS isn't really the enemy here anymore then sneezing is responsible for the flu.

-First, depending on your class and how good your 4-piece bonus is get 3/4 T9 + 2 245 offsets or 4/4 T9 + 1 245 offset.
    -Find any 232 gear from the 5 man icecrown heroics that pertains to your class/spec and farm it till you have it all.
    -In a couple days you are probably geared enough to do VoA ... do this every week and pray because its a great way to kickstart your gear if you can get lucky.
    -Get the crafted 264 and 245 gear for off tier slots where beneficial.
    -Get in ToC & ToGC (if you can find one) pugs each week.

Rinse repeat. The first few days while you are earning badges will be quite a heroic grind, but soon you will just be doing the ICC and ToC heroics and catching the weekly raids. At this point the key is to be patient and in a few weeks your gear will be much better. Yes as a side effect your GS will improve and the "GS crowd" will be happy, but on a more fundamental note your gear will be at a level that you can positively contribute to the raid. Gear and skill are totally separate ideas so please don't confuse them ... that you can outDPS somebody who is geared and terrible doesn't matter. What does matter is you can't outDPS your future self once you get better gear.

To defend myself I'm not just some elitist prick wanting you out of my raids ... I have a fresh level 80 resto shaman myself and I'll be damned if the only thing holding me back now is that I have absolutely no trinkets (heirloom and some 138 crit shit). Its frustrating that so much of my gear is good (T9+crafted 245/264+even a 264 VoA drop all epic gemmed and enchanted) and a few terrible slots are holding me back, but I have gear I can get myself that I want to replace them with and every day I queue up and hope to get my drops. This is the nature or gearing up a new character the old fashioned way without having other carry you, and though it does feel like it takes forever while you're doing it, when you look back you'll realize it really didn't take that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Tferr
    Whenever I want to get into a pug on my alt priest I whisper the raid leader in flawless English that I don't have the achievement but have cleared 11/12 icc25 hc on my main character(which is a complete lie). I ask if he'd want a quick rundown of some tactics to show that I know the fights.
    Why lie? I'm not a gearscore guru, but I think 5100 gearscore is indicative of somebody who has their T9+offsets and all their non-tier slots upgraded too. This is what raid leaders should be looking for and what the OP is trying to circumvent. The "6.2K GS and link achieve" asshats are terrible (and the reason people hate GS), but honestly you probably don't want in that fail raid anyway.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Don't volunteer information you don't have to.

When my rogue hit 80 and was finishing up the heroics grind (e.g., had everything worth having with Emblems of Triumph), I'd just respond to /2 adverts with "Need a rogue? 11/12 on my main, but not yet on this alt." That lets 'em know you know the fights (potentially on a MUCH different role, though) but that this char isn't as well geared.

... then just hope for drops so the alt can stand on their own. (My rogue now outgears my 'lock, which makes me sad: PUGging got me gear faster than guild runs...)

spec resto

run 12 hours of heroics

yay icc

Lead the raids yourself.

isn't that going a little too far?

New 80's shouldn't be in Icc but heroics/naxx

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eletharin
    wow. You don't want to inconvenience yourself by spending a few weeks to jump ahead and skip 3 full tiers of content?
    3 tiers? A day or two of heroics gets you in full t9, which is one tier below current raid content. In my case, since the 2 set t8 is so good, I will instead be using that. Those 2 pieces of 219 gear in conjunction with a DMC:G (which as an iLvl 200 trinket is only outclassed by 1 trinket pre icc, death's choice, which is nigh on impossible to get) will bring my GS down to a level most would deem inappropriate for ICC level raiding. The fact that the 2 set for feral t8 is way better than getting the t9 4 piece is irrelevant to someone looking at gearscore. The fact that DMC:G is only outstripped by 1 insanely sought after trinket is irrelevant to someone looking at GS. I could just as easily buy 2 hit trinkets, both 245 offsets and 3/5 t9 and be "set" according to GS. I'm opting out of that option in order to better fulfill my classes role (DPS).

There is no need for running ToC, to gear up for ICC w/ my gear config. I can get a sidegrade on a belt, slight upgrade on neck, slight upgrade on boots, A decent weapon, and about a 1-20 Shot at Death's Choice if it isn't auto looted to the Raid Leader or one of his friends/someone who paid him to get the trinket.

Don't get me wrong, I will be running ToC 25 every week until I have a DBW for a shot at Death's Choice, and Twin's Pact (since kitty weapons are in low supply) but I don't need to wait to get 2-3 slight upgrades to start on ICC 10m. I'm not stupid, I know when my DPS is too low to get into a raid and won't risk giving myself a bad name by trying it. That's not my problem. My problem is due to the fact that 2 piece t8 is clearly superior to 4 piece t9 for kitties, I'll be using those low ilvl items which will put my GS lower than most are comfortable having in their raids

Quote Originally Posted by Zhanaa
    New 80's shouldn't be in Icc but heroics/naxx

/thread
    And it's assholes like you I beat out in DPS my first week as 80 on my rogue.

This is exactly what i do(though its 8/12 HM and not a lie ) Gets me into 6/12 and 7/12 icc pugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eletharin View Post
    wow. You don't want to inconvenience yourself by spending a few weeks to jump ahead and skip 3 full tiers of content? I'm sorry for you. Unfortunately GS is successful because of people like you who think that somehow being 80 entitles them to jump right into current top tier raids. If GS didn't exist, the raid leader of a competent raid would look up your armory or inspect you, see your starter 200 epics, and ask that you spend a few weeks in ToC gearing up a bit ... GS isn't really the enemy here anymore then sneezing is responsible for the flu.
    it doesnt take a couple weeks to gear up anymore, one week(day) should gear you up thoroughly. hit up every ulduar/toc/voa cooldown you can before burning your badges to fill the gaps.

the elitist self entitlement has really gotten out of hand, I had a hella time getting into ANY raids in BC because I was ungeared on hitting 70, but I never blamed the raidleaders.

Best way to get into a pug while being undergeared ? Put in the elbowgrease and start one.