Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Dpsing while healing

Soo lately i have been trying to pull off as much dps as a can while healing atm i just mind sear at groups and use dots holyfire and smite on bosses but i have seen some priests get some pretty decent numbers on bosses (3-4k) and i am having a hard time even getting 2k

atm am holy so i was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get better dps?

Re: Dpsing while healing

go shadow priest. dps as healer is not needed. that is why u are the healer............... /thread

Try a holy/shadow build focused on sw, dp, mind sear and nova.
    Although, remember that your dps is very much based on the gear of the tank, the more heals you throw, the less dps you will do.

On my shammy i usually push 3k dps while healing (as enhancement, using mw5 for chain heal)

10+ Year Old Account

my main spec is holy on Christan-Darkspear

but if the tank is decently geared i will go shadow and still heal a heroic,
    use shields, pop out for random renew's / pom if needed, and flash heal, Gheal takes way to much time untalented.

Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Hevlex
    go shadow priest. dps as healer is not needed. that is why u are the healer............... /thread
    meh need something to keep it interesting reminds me of the other day when i was healing on my druid(never go tree form since its not needed) i got yelled at and repeatedly tried to kicked because i out dpsed the dps

anyway ill look into a hybrid spec

@Christan do you have improved VE? and if so how much healing is it doing for you?

10+ Year Old Account

I don't think its needed to spec into something to dps while healing, your the healer, you have to try to be able to heal through when someone screws up. When you have extra time, just throw up some dots or holy fire, but don't worry about it to much, your the healer, so you don't have to try to top the dps aswell.

If you get a geared tank, I recommend healing in DPS-spec by default and only healing between pulls, unless someone is going to die otherwise. If there is a pack or boss that is likely to require meaningful amounts of healing, you can respec to healing build a few packs earlier and get your mana up during that time.

Violet Hold, for example, requires no healing whatsoever with a geared tank, unless you get the ethereal boss: His arcane barrage volley deals high party damage if the orb happens to reach him, and at least I tend not to bother kiting him anymore if partydps doesn't suck horribly. If you are shadow, someone might die to that damage, so it is a good idea to go healing spec for that fight.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Power20
    meh need something to keep it interesting reminds me of the other day when i was healing on my druid(never go tree form since its not needed) i got yelled at and repeatedly tried to kicked because i out dpsed the dps

anyway ill look into a hybrid spec

@Christan do you have improved VE? and if so how much healing is it doing for you?
    no i do not, but shields are plenty, i do however have dispersion glyph'd as going in and out of shadowform uses a ton of mana,

i do stay holy for the ICC5mans, even ToC, but almost all the heroics do not require a dedicated healer, but as i said, it really depends on the tank,

and on Cokadìn-Darkspear, my tank, some of the best / quickest heroics I've been in, has been with the healer as a dps spec, it works better with an ele shama, no forms to shift in and out of to dps (shadow form \ moonkin mainly)

but yeah, no imp VE, shields do most of the work, most aoe's are soaked by a 6k shield, and if dps want to stand in "fire" as a general rule, even as holy i wont heal them, unless they are top dps.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Soo lately i have been trying to pull off as much dps as a can while healing atm i just mind sear at groups and use dots holyfire and smite on bosses but i have seen some priests get some pretty decent numbers on bosses (3-4k) and i am having a hard time even getting 2k

atm am holy so i was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get better dps?
    I don't know what environment you're doing this, but 3-4k isn't really what I would call "pretty decent".

Like said before, if you go there as healer, have the best healing spec. If you have time to actually pop some DOTs or use Mind Sear, sure that's all fine, but speccing for it is quite over the top to be honest.

if you're having hard times reaching enrage timers against bosses, instead of trying to waste your mana dps'ing just replace the crap dps in your raid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleficious View Post
    Combat wasn't good before 4.0.1 too, it was only the best spec on 3.2, also its boring as hell...

Quote Originally Posted by Exclusive
    I don't know what environment you're doing this, but 3-4k isn't really what I would call "pretty decent".

Like said before, if you go there as healer, have the best healing spec. If you have time to actually pop some DOTs or use Mind Sear, sure that's all fine, but speccing for it is quite over the top to be honest.
    Wow.. who called the fun police?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Sahand
    if you're having hard times reaching enrage timers against bosses, instead of trying to waste your mana dps'ing just replace the crap dps in your raid.
    am speaking of heroics ofc doh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raaLqFelbCk

Just use this group comp for all of your 5mans ;D

am speaking of heroics ofc doh
    If you queue as a healer then do your job and heal. You have absolutely no reason to be dps'ing and even less reason to be out dps'ing the dps or to even be on par with them. Just do your job, enjoy being carried by a good tank, and then go home with your frost emblems.

Our guild healer usually runs with our guild tanks, so he'll usually spend more time Holy Nova-ing and coming second/third on DPS (depending on how good/bad the DPSers in the group are).

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by palanåwt
    If you queue as a healer then do your job and heal. You have absolutely no reason to be dps'ing and even less reason to be out dps'ing the dps or to even be on par with them. Just do your job, enjoy being carried by a good tank, and then go home with your frost emblems.
    Why would i? when i can make the heroic so much more fun(and faster) by dpsing aswell

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Daxmort
    Our guild healer usually runs with our guild tanks, so he'll usually spend more time Holy Nova-ing and coming second/third on DPS (depending on how good/bad the DPSers in the group are).
    yeah i do recall holy nova doing more dmg then mind sear have tried healing a few heroics just spamming that =)

I sometimes queue as healer while keeping my ele spec.

Mobs die fast enough for me to just top everyone up after the pull, same goes for bosses.

10+ Year Old Account

This is the spec I use to heal 5 mans in.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bVcbuZ...rfqfzAo:hLqMVz

Maximum DPS output with more than enough healing when needed.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by palanåwt
    If I don't DPS while healing I'd fall asleep on my keyboard. There's also no reason not to do it. Any decent healer can make the decision when to stop dps'ing and start healing. If you're doing ICC you should have enough mana(regen) and GCD's to do at least 1K dps on a heroic boss.
    Resurrected Holy Priest