Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Dpsing while healing

as disc:

shield tank, then either mindsear x2 with borrowed time or swpain all adds and mindsear x1. Then spam holy nova til they are dead. For bosses shield tank so you get borrowed time, use dots and penance with borrowed time and cast a hasted holy fire, active PI and cast mindblast, smite smite until penance is up and then just do holyfire>mindblast>penance>smite and keep dots refreshed if they will last most of their duration.
    {broken signature}

I DPS while healing in heroics all the time. In general, I wouldn't suggest doing it as Shadow unless you at least know the tank and know you can pull it off. This generally consists of using PoM and Renew/PWS (depending on spec) prior to a pull, and then going into DPS mode. If it's an AOE pack, use Holy Nova on any smaller groups; if it's a large group, use Mind Sear if you can, but if you need to heal too, use Holy Nova. If it's only 1-2 mobs in a pull, keep your DoTs up, try to keep Mind Blast and Holy Fire on CD, and otherwise spam Smite if you don't need to heal or fill with FHs and refresh Renew/PWS as needed. If you can refresh properly, and top people off between pulls, you should be able to spend 90-95% of your time on trash DPSing and not too far behind that on most bosses. Doing that, I can usually pull 3-4k DPS or so with a well geared tank.

Also, don't forget about Shadowfiend and Hymn of Hope. The only problem I ever really have is mana, especially when a random group has somewhat poor dps and/or doesn't have any useful mana buffs, so I occassionally have to stop DPSing to make sure I have enough mana to heal as needed, but good use of mana CDs helps avoid that.

I find healing as disc and DPSing on the side its pretty easy to get 2.6k-3k single target even in the ICC5s and such. Borrowed time is a great tool for boosting your DPS by rewarding you with a faster smite or double mind sear for spending a gcd "healing." Works good at start of pulls too. My normal raiding disc build takes divine fury over spell warding so that also helps DPS making the smites and holy fires faster. and if you really want to go all out dps while maintaining a raid-viable healing spec you can drop glyph of PoH/flash heal for Holy Fire. I generally find it not worth SW:Ping on trash as well. Either its Mind Sear 4tw or Holy Fire and hope my smite cast finishes before the mob dies.

Hey op i think we all went through that phase..

dotting everything, PI a mindseer HF,MB then smite

soon you will go back to renew/pom afk spam

:P

10+ Year Old Account

Dpsing while in heal spec/set is fine for heroics IF PEOPLE DON'T DIE. I hate running a heroic and watching ppl die because the healer is dpsing...or offhealing the group myself because the healer is dpsing. If you Q as heals to gain benefit of the short Q then heal...if you can keep everyone alive while throwing DoTs and the like by all means go for it.
    Honestly these days it seems like all the really ubergeared ppl arent running the random too much anymore. Instead you get the tank in mostly blues and a few triumph epics who learned tanking by watching the ubergeareds go at it. The end result is a run thru a place like OK where the tank is hurp durp pulling 3 packs of trash and nobody is bothering to interrupt shadowblast etc.. and his 3 epics only compensate so much. Then further in the dungeon hurp durp pulling 3 packs whose mobs do a ton of aoe and target members other than the tank so the fresh 80 mage or w/e (w under 19k hp even w the LFD buff) is takin a pretty big hit too. These ppl don't deserve to die because their gear is poor (remember it is a heroic) or because the tank got overzealous and you were busy dpsing.
    Long story short...if you know your tank-if you know your grp... go crazy and dps as much as you want. In a random LFD only do so if you can keep everyone up and compensate for others possibly not being as geared as you.
    "Brevity is...wit"

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Smoopie

soon you will go back to renew/pom afk spam

:P
    and yes this is also true. while its great that you want to make the heroic go faster remember: you are a healer...have a drink...watch a movie...take it easy for once!
    "Brevity is...wit"

What I would do is this:

disc: use gheal spec to get divine fury. If +3 mobs holy nova spam, bosses dots->holy fire->smite spam, if you want to have some fun pick up a stack of smite glyphs and use them for hc.

Holy: make a "fun" spec where you get divine fury, searing light and surge of light same rotation.

Remember even as disc you still have a "decent" renew and you have quite some free time if you do a shield+renew+pom pre pull. Another thing dpsing give you a reason to use all the wonderfull use sp trinkets you have picked up and never ever ever used.

Pre heal->pi+trinkets can give some "decent" burst on boss fights and its quite fun to "win" the damage meter as a healer especially if you like most people am abit of a damage whore

To all the hur dur healers heal, any blood dk/druid with decent gear does not need healing in a heroic, a warrior/pala in block gear can make any healer fall alseep. Any tank in just badge gear that multi pulls can be kept at 100% with either a holy renew or disc shield. Heroics are not for 264 gear and with any kind of decent dps you could 5dps most heroics simply because stuff dies so fast.

as a geared tank, i really appreciate the healer who can help DPS, especially a boomkin/ele shaman who can be top dps and keep everyone healed up at the same time. ive been in plently of heroics with geared healers who let dps die for no reason, so i dont know why people think that is a valid argument.
    good luck to you finding a fun spec!

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Crazhr
    To all the hur dur healers heal, any blood dk/druid with decent gear does not need healing in a heroic, a warrior/pala in block gear can make any healer fall alseep. Any tank in just badge gear that multi pulls can be kept at 100% with either a holy renew or disc shield. Heroics are not for 264 gear and with any kind of decent dps you could 5dps most heroics simply because stuff dies so fast.
    Sure most tanks could go thru a heroic w minimal heals or just shields or w/e...but it is the healers job to keep up more than the tank. Yes some (most) partys only require minimal healing these days...all I'm saying is if you Q heals then other members of the party should not suffer as you dps on the side.
    "Brevity is...wit"