Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    SMF is free. vBulletin is not. Unsure how that could be cheaper.

The site didn't move. It's still located on the same servers as always. It's just running different software.
    Well, then it falls into those 10% =) I'm not a guy who knows about how forums work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailoze View Post
    Ever heard of "atmosphere"? This one's atmosphere is different. Kinda colder. The previous version was neat. Might sound like bs, but if you listen to what you feel when you do different stuff you'll figure that the atmsophere would change and you'd do things differently. Hell, if MMO design was red instead of green - we'd get a lot more nerdraging, qqs and just aggressive replies and comments.
    The only problem with "atomsphere" is that you'll lose functionality. He did this so the servers would maintain their functionality.

I guess I think of the website more as a place to post WoW news with a Forum on the side, not a Forum that has topics based off of WoW and other related news.

<3 quick reply

Quote Originally Posted by Sonkeh View Post
    If you read anything about what Boubouille said, you would realise that the migration to vBulletin was inevitable.
    They had to switch from SMF to vBulletin because the community had grown to such a size, that in the case of a big event, Cataclysm Beta, the old SMF forum would have collapsed.
    Now quit your whining, because we're staying with vBulletin.
    This + I love your sig. \m/ Ozzy \m/

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lejend View Post
    <3 quick reply
    It's amazing the number of people I see saying this. SMF had quick reply, too. I think it just needed enabled in your profile.

About time this site switched to a professional forum software.
    I was wondering how a portal of this size could live with some "free crap" for such a long time, even the smallest of our customers can afford the 200 Euro per year for the vB licence.

Anyway, well done and I hope you install a few additional neat hacks for the site.
    Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech you like; it protects speech you don't like.
    Larry Flynt (unsourced)

Stop complaining.
    So the site looks different.
    You will get used to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    works fine for me
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Deleted
    We're still working on improving the layout.

Also, with Dinnerbone's and Agora's work on performance from yesterday, the website should be a LOT faster now. If you guys really want to rage about x or y, the suggestions forum has a thread about this (with a poll!). We are still working on a lot of site improvements. Just now, I finished restyling article comments and some improvements on the profile page.

Now. Keep in mind:
    * There's a bunch of pages here and there that just don't have any layout. This WILL be fixed.
    * The site is sometimes slow. This is NOT A FEATURE. I don't know how someone can think we WANT the site to be slow.
    * Search will be back ASAP.
    * The move to vb has been planned for over a year. It's sad we had to rush it to get it done, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
    * This was necessary in order to keep the site running. SMF is not designed to be ran by a website like mmo-champion. (PHP sucks, tell your friends)
    * We are NOT going back to SMF.

I'm not locking this, but please hold off your complaints for just a little bit more. Speed issues are mostly solved, downtime *should* not happen again, and layout is under constant improvement.

However much I don't like it, it was necessary, so you have to deal with it...
    Soviet Russia was merely a setback!

Relys Sunwalker
    Rakzor Frostwolf
    Descle Dubraig

Who cares they changed it. Its still the same MMO Champion. (except they stole the mmo champion guy at the top!!!!!)

You people that are complaining have no clue about the logistical backend of the website. SMF was a major speed bump. Mostly everything Adys and Dinnerbone added to the site was a really ugly hack. SMF was also never built to hold a community of this size. It was slowly collapsing on itself.

The move to vBulletin wasn't just a refresh for the site. The move to vBulletin allows Adys and Dinnerbone to do what they do best, by allowing them to add more stuff to the site for all of you. The move to vBulletin also allows for a large community without the fear of the software being a limiting factor.
    I'm actually quite familiar with large websites and logistical backends, as I work as a system administrator for a host that handles some very big name clients

vbulletin is alright, if you're willing to pop for the hardware to support it. If this site is running on a single box with a LAMP stack, moving to vbulletin probably isn't going to do much to help any growth issues. If, on the other hand, you've deployed a proper database backend (and I hope to god you're taking advantage of vbulletin's ability to pull it's SELECT queries off a slave, and only do UPDATE's to the master in order to share the load), and possibly some load balanced web front ends, then the move to vbulletin is a good decision, as it does scale well, it's just a terrible resource hog for a single LAMP stack machine

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by drakonblayde View Post
    vbulletin is alright, if you're willing to pop for the hardware to support it. If this site is running on a single box with a LAMP stack, moving to vbulletin probably isn't going to do much to help any growth issues. If, on the other hand, you've deployed a proper database backend (and I hope to god you're taking advantage of vbulletin's ability to pull it's SELECT queries off a slave, and only do UPDATE's to the master in order to share the load), and possibly some load balanced web front ends, then the move to vbulletin is a good decision, as it does scale well, it's just a terrible resource hog for a single LAMP stack machine
    Of course this site is not running on a single box, and it would have taken you just a couple of queries to find out it's not a LAMP stack. Guys, thanks for your advice but we have a tech team already.

Quote Originally Posted by Adys View Post
    Of course this site is not running on a single box, and it would have taken you just a couple of queries to find out it's not a LAMP stack. Guys, thanks for your advice but we have a tech team already.
    Wasn't really handing out advice, just commenting. Advice costs money, and I doubt you'd be willing to pay my rates

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the new forum style - yes more than the old one. And I like the font color change on the start page (dark gray is the new black!). At first the font type had also been changed - which seems to be reversed by now - or was that just my twisted perception?

@drakonblayde free advice: stop acting that arrogant :P

I have absolutely no idea as to the content of this thread as I am reading this at work. Normally that would not be a problem but since the migration of the forum to Bbulletin I am no longer to actually read anything that anyone posts. I can see the front screen and all the fourm categroies and the topics in each forum but not the actual content of the threads, which is truely annoying.

This is only happening at work where they still use a really old version of Internet Expolorer (IE6 I think). I'll post a screen shot of what I am seeing when I get home (mailed a screenie to my home address) as I can't upload anything from here.

Anyone else having this problem?
    Back to your bridge, you evil Troll!

15+ Year Old Account
    Eh, people will use any excuse just to whine for the sake of whining.

The change is great, so much smoother than the last style and the Quick Reply box does wonders.

The only thing I hate about it though is the smilies, they're hard to see and you cant click them into your post like you could in the old version.
    Dreadmaul US Horde - "Dragonsworn of the Bronze Flight"

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people don't like it because it's new and "different". Many people don't like change, but, it's gotta happen to keep things running.

Quote Originally Posted by nalcarya View Post
    I like the new forum style - yes more than the old one. And I like the font color change on the start page (dark gray is the new black!). At first the font type had also been changed - which seems to be reversed by now - or was that just my twisted perception?

@drakonblayde free advice: stop acting that arrogant :P
    Not really arrogance, more pragmatism. Once you realize you can charge $200/hr in consulting fees for your knowledge, you also realize that giving it away for free on the public internet is shooting yourself in the foot.

You people that are complaining have no clue about the logistical backend of the website. SMF was a major speed bump. Mostly everything Adys and Dinnerbone added to the site was a really ugly hack. SMF was also never built to hold a community of this size. It was slowly collapsing on itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy Osbourne View Post
    If you read anything about what Boubouille said, you would realise that the migration to vBulletin was inevitable.
    They had to switch from SMF to vBulletin because the community had grown to such a size, that in the case of a big event, Cataclysm Beta, the old SMF forum would have collapsed.
    Now quit your whining, because we're staying with vBulletin.
    I often wonder if people make things up as they go or not. The site was running a copy of SMF that was horribly dated, easily over a year old closer to two. There are plenty of sites that SMF run that are large sites and they even have a board dedicated to squeezing out even more from the software.