Protection PvP help.

So I got bored of PvPing as a Ret and I wanted to do a few changes so I decided to PvP as prot.

Any tips for spec, gear, gems and glyphs would be much appreciated. Also do I use a tanking weapon with strength or an agility dps weapon?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Protection PvP help.

You want a slow 1 hander, preferably a STR one, as that gives the hardest hits.

For Prot PvP, there are 2 builds:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sVZVGz...fdVf00b:RL0zcm, which is the more offensive build, utilizing SoCorr. Works well for keeping pressure on multiple targets, and on a single target as well. Best used with a pocket healer to ensure you have mana. JoW is mandatory for "Soloing", leaving you with little heals and weakened EHP; Can sub out Judgement glyph for Hand of Salvation

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZVGzA...dVf0dbc:RLzzcm, which uses a glyph'd SoC to restore mana. Works well without the need of another person as you will have less mana issues- this also allows you to use JoL for 2% HP healing as well. Points can be moved around from Conviction and into Vindication for more defense, as well as swaping out the glyph of ShoR for Hand of Salvation, although that isn't recommended.

personally i rather skip command, since SoV is rapidly stacked with a 1 hander and i rather go for a slight bit more armor and healing, so i take a point into imp dev aura, rather than reckoning, since the chance for it to proc is quite low to start with. The 3rd major glyph is a toss between ShotR for better mana management and DP for a bit of extra mitigation, that can help if u decide to go low on pvp gear.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZVGzA...dVf0hbc:R0Zzmc

Another thing you can always do is get a meta or chant to boots with increased runing speed, if you think you can handle it, which will provide yo with an extra 2% crit. which is not little in this resi heavy enviroment.

Last piece of advise would be to get 4/5 piece pvp gear, sparing the gloves for ret pve ones, since that will give u the best dmg/crit increase out of all the pieces given that the gloves bonus is worthless for a prot paly.

Almost forgot about it, but strenght 1 hander are almost none existant, unless you want an ilvl 213 one, so i would suggest a slow dps 1 hander with crit/ap/agi/hit avoiding arp and to a minor extent haste.

hope this helps

edit to add some info

here is one more build without PoJ and raid wall, though not as group friendly (ie less utility) it is more agressive by including reckoning, not my favorite though, but to be considered.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZVG0A...dVf0x0c:R0Zzcm
    Last edited by Mmrdkm; 2010-06-11 at 09:11 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is f*cking ridiculous, you should never go prot for PvP its the worst noob spec around. + It'll never get you to high ratings. Its piss easy to play, not fun at all. And requires nothing but gear for you to be great with it. Don't f*cking play prot its for losers and fags!
    Last edited by Mars_Trueskills; 2010-06-11 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_Trueskills View Post
    This is f*cking ridiculous, you should never go prot for PvP its the worst noob spec around. + It'll never get you to high ratings. Its piss easy to play, not fun at all. And requires nothing but gear for you to be great with it. Don't f*cking play prot its for losers and fags!
    The time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted at all.

I got 2250+ with it. And Burnjob got 2950 with it at his highest. I believe a blizz dev said it best with "All specs are going to be pvp viable". It also still requires some skill, no one spec can make any players reactions times to cc or a hard swap faster. Good players will always be good, bad players will troll forums and dominate those 1800 brackets.

But yes there are a lot of variations to the prot pvp spec that all can work decent and it can be kind of can be comp specific. Some insight to the comp you are running could help me with advice. But generally you are never the focus target which allows you to get away with a lot of +str pve gear. I sit around 850 res in my set with 2700+ str self buffed. It really makes a world of difference to wear a pve neck/cloak/rings and 1 trinket. But I digress, reply with the comp you are trying and an armory link and I will gladly give you some solid feedback from an experience ret and pret pvp'r.

Half ret/ half prot used to be win back in the day, reckoning with a 2her was hacks.