Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm...

I have few movies on my YT profile. One made with Windows Movie Maker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTbBLFadHO8), the others were made using SONY Vegas 9.0 PRO (for example this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGpMYCdhFCY). Both were filmed using FRAPS and made on the same PC. Only editing software were different.

Sindragosa's movie weights 460 MB (after editing). Raw file size was about 15-20 GB as far as I remember.

I'm not any codec spec-master so can't help You with that.
    Now here we stand with their blood on our hands
    We fought so hard now can we understand

10+ Year Old Account
    Fraps comes out with better quality if you record at Full-Size instead of Half-Size.
    Most of the time, this is the problem with people saying the recordings come out with bad quality or whatever.

About the OP's question, i always use an editing software but that doesn't mean anything, it's not the editing software that will give you the compression of image quality. You should compress it using something like H.264/MPEG-4 AVC.

Doing this with Vegas or Adobe Premiere is easy but getting it just perfect requires quite some time doing the "first time configuration" for the render, and even after it's done, you might keep doing small tweaks here and there over the time.

Take this into account... for the best possible quality (without having a million gigabyte file), you should record in Full-Size and the resolution you record the video, the res you edit and render the video (the resolution of the project in the edit software) and the res you want people to see it (valid if you want to only distribute it in a website like youtube), should all be the same or you WILL lose quality.

If you want to show it in youtube in 720p, then record it at 720p and edit/render it at 720p. This will get you the best quality when watching it in youtube at 720p. If people see it in 480p it will look worst in terms of quality.