Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Well u seem to forget something. even tho we cant have a spell dagger in off hand we can still something that gives us haste and crit. now i dont know what items we get in cata but based on WOTLK the stats for a lvl 277 shield and dagger is about 10 stats+ to the shield. and around 120 sp. now if we get a rogue dagger with haste and crit enchant sp +62 (again WOTLK example) so now we are 10 haste and crit short. and around 60 sp. then we add our flametongue weapon. BAAAM +274sp. so instead of the shield:

60 Haste
    60 crit
    120 SP

we get a dagger:
    XX agi
    50 haste
    50 crit
    334 sp.

no one who PVPs as elemental or resto would choose to DW over the armor of a shield, the whole idea is just ridiculous.
    But instead u get parry and 210 sp and thats only based on WOTLK u will hopefully get a new rank of flametongue with ALOT more sp and a new enchant as well

Quote Originally Posted by Crelle013 View Post
    Well u seem to forget something. even tho we cant have a spell dagger in off hand we can still something that gives us haste and crit.
    If Blizzard really wanted Ele and Resto to DW, they'd just make it trainable like other classes.

It doesn't make any sense for Casters to use melee weapons, there's no way in hell Blizzard is going to let that slide. Somebody's got to use caster shields and guess what, it's Healadins and us. The argument that "Weapons with FT will be better than shields" is a selfish argument. Just because something is better for you doesn't make it better for the game or the community as a whole.

You're not getting DW, it's Alpha. There's no way it's going to make it through Beta the way it is. These threads are childish, grow up.
    Baretta M92 Custom Praiyachat Sword Cutlass Special
    Starcaller Renzokuken, 80 Dwarf Shaman

yea, as you know and also, Crelle pointed out, i wasn't saying to Dual Wield SP weapons. Using the Dagger would be a huge sp increase at a loss of like 10 haste.
    Again, DON'T TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY, this is just a funny idea to mess around with. Come Cataclysm, DW would be pretty cool, but it shouldn't really be taken seriously lol.

DW ELE FOR LIFE, hehe jk

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like even if the expansion launches with some way of ele/resto being able to effectively dual wield, they are going to break it.
    Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz | MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4-3400 Memory | Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | Samsung - 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card | Corsair - 850W ATX Power Supply | 2 x HP - Omen 27 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceshuttle View Post
    Looks like even if the expansion launches with some way of ele/resto being able to effectively dual wield, they are going to break it.
    Shaman (Forums / 3.3.5 Talent Calculator / Cataclysm Talent Calculator)
    Elemental and Restoration dual-wield in Cataclysm
    Elemental and Resto are going to be pretty unlikely to want to dual-wield in Cataclysm. For the most part we want them using a one-handed caster weapon and shield.
    So they pretty much already have

10+ Year Old Account
    Shaman (Forums / 3.3.5 Talent Calculator / Cataclysm Talent Calculator)
    Elemental and Restoration dual-wield in Cataclysm
    Elemental and Resto are going to be pretty unlikely to want to dual-wield in Cataclysm. For the most part we want them using a one-handed caster weapon and shield.
    Quote Originally Posted by waddlez View Post
    So they pretty much already have
    That's what I read beforehand, but even with that statement, it still may launch with some way where it's better. Once it's found they'll smash it.
    Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz | MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4-3400 Memory | Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | Samsung - 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card | Corsair - 850W ATX Power Supply | 2 x HP - Omen 27 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

These threads are quickly becoming the equivalent of Shaman tanking threads. It's a cool idea, and the way things sit right now it will be possible to do (assuming nothing changes, but things will change), but it will likely never be viable. If it remains possible some people will probably do it for some laughs and maybe somehow it'll remain viable (highly doubt it will though).

Though to all the people who are saying "there are no caster 1 handers" -- the OP is well aware. He's talking of using a physical one handed weapon as his offhand -- since the weapon will likely have nice haste/crit and you can apply +SP enchants and gems, along with our Flametongue weapon, it's possible for it to have better stats than a shield.

Personally, even if everything remains the same and a physical DPS weapon still gives more stats with all the enchants and such in Cataclysm, I somehow doubt it'll ever be viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscooter View Post
    These threads are quickly becoming the equivalent of Shaman tanking threads. It's a cool idea, and the way things sit right now it will be possible to do (assuming nothing changes, but things will change), but it will likely never be viable. If it remains possible some people will probably do it for some laughs and maybe somehow it'll remain viable (highly doubt it will though).

Though to all the people who are saying "there are no caster 1 handers" -- the OP is well aware. He's talking of using a physical one handed weapon as his offhand -- since the weapon will likely have nice haste/crit and you can apply +SP enchants and gems, along with our Flametongue weapon, it's possible for it to have better stats than a shield.

Personally, even if everything remains the same and a physical DPS weapon still gives more stats with all the enchants and such in Cataclysm, I somehow doubt it'll ever be viable.
    Thank you so much for actually realizing the point of the thread and summing it all up. +10 Internets to you

1. Shamans can't cast and attack at the same time.
    2. Spellpower one hands is always Mainhand requiered, only way this would beniefit is if you put a sp one hander in MH and a melee weep in oh and enc both with flametounge, it will gove you more SP than having a shield/offhand thrill that is IF the flametounge stacks, wich i dout they do.....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by critterkiller View Post
    Yeah? And the point is? I bet you don't see many elemental shamans melee.
    IF the flametounge stacks, wich i dout they do.....
    I'm kinda sure they do.
    Can't test right now because my shaman's server is down ._.

2. Spellpower one hands is always Mainhand requiered, only way this would beniefit is if you put a sp one hander in MH and a melee weep in oh and enc both with flametounge, it will gove you more SP than having a shield/offhand thrill that is IF the flametounge stacks, wich i dout they do.....
    1) You really don't get it do you? The physical dps weapon is ONLY THERE TO BE A STAT STICK. Nothing more. You're not attacking with it, you're just milking more stats out of it than you would a shield.

2) Yes, Flametongue weapon in it's current incarnation does stack. People have theorized that in Cataclysm they will change this so it doesn't stack to prevent Shamans from dual weilding as discussed in this thread, however.

A little bit of homework on the subject and you'd know this.

Let it go already... blue posted that ele and resto won't be dual wielding. Also stop thinking about cata talents with WotLK stats. In cata int will be a primary stat and that int won't be on the melee one hand for sure ... it will be on the caster shield. And you can't say that that int will be worth less than than the extra flametonge just because NOW the stats are like that..........

Okay, I was sure I had posted here the other day. Maybe my 1 word response was so brilliant in regards to how there are no onehand/offhand spell weapons that it was removed for fear people might abuse some mechanics and make something completely awesome.

Let me repeat that 1 word.

Reforge.

You take a weapon, you reforge the ugly melee stats with some caster ones. Granted reforging does this at a loss, but this is the kind of thing it was made for.

In WoTLK as we know, shields do not come close to the same measurement of stats we find on our weapons. Where as we rock over 600 SP on our daggers/maces, our shields are topping out at around 100 spell power.

In a lot of PvP situations though, the shield would be a better choice. Unless your fighting spell cleave.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...75&pageNo=2#22

"One point I will make is I understand the resto/elemental dipping in to be able to dual wield two weapons: "

GC: They can, but they won't want to.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...498&pageNo=1#3

GC: Elemental and Resto are going to be pretty unlikely to want to dual-wield in Cataclysm. For the most part we want them using a one-handed caster weapon and shield.

Quote Originally Posted by soulfringe View Post
    Okay, I was sure I had posted here the other day. Maybe my 1 word response was so brilliant in regards to how there are no onehand/offhand spell weapons that it was removed for fear people might abuse some mechanics and make something completely awesome.

Let me repeat that 1 word.

Reforge.

You take a weapon, you reforge the ugly melee stats with some caster ones. Granted reforging does this at a loss, but this is the kind of thing it was made for.

In WoTLK as we know, shields do not come close to the same measurement of stats we find on our weapons. Where as we rock over 600 SP on our daggers/maces, our shields are topping out at around 100 spell power.

In a lot of PvP situations though, the shield would be a better choice. Unless your fighting spell cleave.
    I love how they've already said you won't ever reforge Int/Stam/Agi/Strength/SP and you seem to think this will solve all your problems. Short version, every Ele talent build that I have seen which picks up DW loses out on some popular Ele talents. The OP gave the best one I have yet seen only losing Booming Echos and Earthquake. In any case they've made it clear that they will ensure Ele and Resto do not DW.

I love how you tell us what Blizzard said and how they intend things to be. But if you have been playing games long enough, you know players have a tendency to outsmart intended uses set by the developers. There is a reason why you see hotfixes all the time despite testing. No matter how hard you try, when your dealing with 11 million people, someone is going to outsmart someone with some outside the box thinking.

Now will I be going with a duel wield spec ? Not likely.

My reasoning - Because as I said, where as you can reforge stats so you can make a caster weapon that might be able to provide more stats than a shield, however as you have also mentioned, you lose out on some pretty good talents. My only point was that reforging is an option to create your own caster weapon.
    Of course, we have no idea how any of this will formulate yet, especially when you factor in masteries and how rapidly things will change until release and even after release.

Anyways, how long ago were these posts about the not being able to reforge such and such stats, and shamans not wanting to duel wield ? And how long ago have they opened up the FnF alpha ? Yea - I bet you something just recently happened in the FnF alpha regarding duel wielding shamans....

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceshuttle View Post
    That's what I read beforehand, but even with that statement, it still may launch with some way where it's better. Once it's found they'll smash it.
    Off-hands and shields will most likely provide more sp than your enchanted and imbued melee dagger. There it's found. Man that was hard. Took me a whole 2 secs to kill your DW ele/resto dream. Let's hope Blizzard will never find out, ey? *wink*

blizzard turns flametongue and earth living weapon into unique spells

the end
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

Like some one already said, blizzard saw this problem at the beginning of WoTLK and has already changed all caster one handed weapons to main hand. There are currently no, and there will never be a caster weapon that is one hand only because it's unfair to basically every other casting class.

A weapon gives currently 700+ spell power, the highest shield/off-hand item gives what... 150?

Deleted

Question

Curious about this - I was told that it would not be possible to dual wield in Cataclysm if you spec down Elemental or Restoration, I thought Dual Wielding is now a passive enhancement talent - thus making it impossible unless you spec mainly into the enhancement tree. (forgive me if I'm wrong about this passive talents stuff).