10+ Year Old Account

First Website I've Made

It took a bit but I learned HTML and made a website for a school project. (It is the theme from a thing we are doing at our school) And I was wondering if anyone here could give me any tips to make it quicker, or if i'm missing something important. And also please report any bugs you find, I've tried to squish most of em.

http://compassionproject.co.cc/index.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Very nice work for your first site

Props on your image viewer... now if they would just implement that on this site eh?

Keep up the good work.

HTML isn't the most efficient in general, so there's probably not a whole lot you can do to increase its performance per se except rewriting the site in a different language.

wow...

Is this 1998?

But it's nice, for your first website.

It does look good for your first try.
    (Don't tell anyone, but my first one was made with frames in html for a menu and header etc. )

But it's far easier to use some base software.
    For example b2evolution, wordpress, ... will prove to be far easier and effective to make a website.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks guys, althouth the image viewer isn't techinally mine XD it's just lightbox. But yeah ill give one of those programs a shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol, it reminded me of when i had a 56k internet connection
    It's good enough for you first web-site

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik765 View Post
    Very nice work for your first site

Props on your image viewer... now if they would just implement that on this site eh?

Keep up the good work.

HTML isn't the most efficient in general, so there's probably not a whole lot you can do to increase its performance per se except rewriting the site in a different language.
    I've always believed that all websites are HTML? I didn't know there were any other ways to create a website. What other languages are there to create a site?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    I've always believed that all websites are HTML? I didn't know there were any other ways to create a website. What other languages are there to create a site?
    PHP for example. While this ends up as pure html in the end (the webserver translates php to html) the php language has functions you simply don't have in html

Two quickie comments for all aspiring web designers, both apply to this site as well:

1) Make sure your site passes html validator or you run the risk of having unpredictable results and blocking out some potential visitors with more picky browsers... Run http://validator.w3.org/ until there are no errors/warnings left.

2) Your pictures are huge. Use always JPG as much as possible even in text logos. If you need transparent pictures try GIF before PNG, the images may still look good enough with 64 or 128 color palette and make considerably smaller files than PNG ones. PNG should always be last choice since it has weakest support in old/limited web browsers.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Two quickie comments for all aspiring web designers, both apply to this site as well:

1) Make sure your site passes html validator or you run the risk of having unpredictable results and blocking out some potential visitors with more picky browsers... Run http://validator.w3.org/ until there are no errors/warnings left.

2) Your pictures are huge. Use always JPG as much as possible even in text logos. If you need transparent pictures try GIF before PNG, the images may still look good enough with 64 or 128 color palette and make considerably smaller files than PNG ones. PNG should always be last choice since it has weakest support in old/limited web browsers.

Awesome, thank you.

And I'll check out PHP.