Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

When is it too much purple and not enough red

OK. Thi has been a question i have had for a while now and it seems i can not seem to get a good strong answer for it.

I know that with Meta I need to have 2 blue gems and i put in Spell power/ Spirit. When should I start (if ever)to stop putting purple gems in slot and start throwing straight spell power gems in.

My biggest concern is that I use the Glyph of shadow and it gives me bonus Spell power for a certain percentage of my spirit when i crit (which is basically all the time) and i know i get spell power from spirit alone so should I keep filling that blue slot with the purple gems or just start stacking spell power. Here is a link to my current armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ar&cn=Ahnqiraj.

yes I know my trinkets arent the best, but its been hard getting anything better and this isnt a thread for hate about my trinkets. If you dont got anything meaningful to the thread or anything helpful to say then dont post it here. Thank you.
    "We are not tools of the goverment or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing I was good at, but at least I fought for what I believed in." -Gray Fox-

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    drop the +10 stats gem, its terrible for casters, match the purple in ur helm since its the biggest bonus,
    shadow is the only spec i dont play but id say match all the +9 and +7 sp bonuses at least everything else 23 sp

reckless in all the yellows obv

Quote Originally Posted by cawf View Post
    drop the +10 stats gem, its terrible for casters, match the purple in ur helm since its the biggest bonus,
    shadow is the only spec i dont play but id say match all the +9 and +7 sp bonuses at least everything else 23 sp
    Wrong.

Yes, Nightmare Tear is absolutely terrible (until 4.0, at least). Shadow is one of few specs that actually goes out of their way now to get a socket bonus.

Red's obviously get +23 Spell Power, yellow's get +12 SP/+10 Haste (Reckless), and assuming a socket bonus of 5 or higher, a Blue Gem gets Purified (+12 SP/+10 Spirit).

This last point is barely less than a +23 (at 5 SP bonus) when it comes to Spell Power output, but it adds a little length to your blue bar, thus reducing the time you spend needing Dispersion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Wrong.

Yes, Nightmare Tear is absolutely terrible (until 4.0, at least). Shadow is one of few specs that actually goes out of their way now to get a socket bonus.

Red's obviously get +23 Spell Power, yellow's get +12 SP/+10 Haste (Reckless), and assuming a socket bonus of 5 or higher, a Blue Gem gets Purified (+12 SP/+10 Spirit).

This last point is barely less than a +23 (at 5 SP bonus) when it comes to Spell Power output, but it adds a little length to your blue bar, thus reducing the time you spend needing Dispersion.
    To add on to the last part, the damage you gain from using runed instead of purified is ~25 damage over the length of a fight in exchange for regen.

Usually I stick to +23sp gems for red sockets else
    Reckless (12sp/10haste) for all yellow sockets >= 2pp
    Purified (12sp/10spir) for all blue sockets >= 7pp

Quote Originally Posted by Selinax View Post
    Usually I stick to +23sp gems for red sockets else
    Reckless (12sp/10haste) for all yellow sockets >= 2pp
    Purified (12sp/10spir) for all blue sockets >= 7pp
    Thats pretty stupid because there is no sockets with 2sp bonus.
    and blue socket with 5 sp bonus is worth 22.9 spellpower, .1 less than Max, but you gain regen.

Quote Originally Posted by Strykie View Post
    and blue socket with 5 sp bonus is worth 22.9 spellpower, .1 less than Max, but you gain regen.
    Where have you seen +6spell power socket bonus?
    There are 5 or 7, no 6. You dont need extra spirit if you are shadow. I dont have any +spirit gear on my priest and like 50 spirit from enchants/gems. Futhermore, I have no problems with mana even if I am dpsing alone, only self buffed, the heroic training dummy. I dont even have to use my dispersion for 5 min lenght fight on that dummy. I dont have any glyph for mana regen. Everything you need for mana regen is the replenishment now.
    The match 12sp/10spirit gems are correct, and it's outweight pure 23 sp. Also, you must take into consideration situation when you are starting your rotation or phase transition where you dont have +spirit conversation into spell power.
    Pure 23 sp gem is a win.

Deleted

Read his post again, he did not write 2 Sp, but 2 Pp. Difference there...

Quote Originally Posted by Merridian View Post
    There are 5 or 7, no 6. You dont need extra spirit if you are shadow. I dont have any +spirit gear on my priest and like 50 spirit from enchants/gems. Futhermore, I have no problems with mana even if I am dpsing alone, only self buffed, the heroic training dummy. I dont even have to use my dispersion for 5 min lenght fight on that dummy. I dont have any glyph for mana regen. Everything you need for mana regen is the replenishment now.
    The match 12sp/10spirit gems are correct, and it's outweight pure 23 sp. Also, you must take into consideration situation when you are starting your rotation or phase transition where you dont have +spirit conversation into spell power.
    Pure 23 sp gem is a win.
    Could you please post some logs of this?

Also, when you are starting your rotation, you will not be doing peoper damage anyway since you will be stacking Shadow Weaving before putting up SW:P, so having very slightly less spellpower for the first two or three seconds doesn't seem like an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    The only difference is the fact that 2 PP could be translated into anything else, but is pretty useless since ICC caster items all have SP socket bonuses.

Pure 23 sp gem is a win.
    First off, runed cardinal ruby only beats purified by 0.1 PP/SP, which translates up to 25 damage over the course of an entire fight; which is less than 0.1 dps over a 5 minute fight. There is also the fact that actually using purified simmed to be higher dps than runed. Overall, runed = purified for blue sockets.

Pure 23 sp gem is a win.
    THAT IS AN EXCELLENT STORY, SADLY THERE IS A SORT OF IMPORTANT FIGHT THAT GOES FOR 15 MINUTES.
    And im not entirely sure how my mana will fair over that duration without using dispersion because its a DPS loss.
    Losing .4 spellpower (for me) for regen that could prove the difference between going oom or not, gee, thats not a hard decision

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    HI YOU MUST BE NEW TO ICECROWN, THERE IS NO SOCKETBONUS ON CASTER GEAR THAT ISNT SPELLPOWER AS FABIAN SAID.
    Last edited by Strykie; 2010-06-14 at 06:59 PM.

Only spellpower socket bonuses? I bow to your superior knowledge.
    What about Lich Wrappings? Heroic Wand of Ruby Claret? Bracers of Dark Blessings? Pale Corpse Boots?

10+ Year Old Account
    Purfieds in +5 SP or +5 PP socket bonuses.
    .1 PP loss at worst.
    Regen gain at all gear levels.
    DPS increase at BiS levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Donya View Post
    Only spellpower socket bonuses? I bow to your superior knowledge.
    What about Lich Wrappings? Heroic Wand of Ruby Claret? Bracers of Dark Blessings? Pale Corpse Boots?
    Want me to fold and say that you have superior knowledge of wow?

Want me to fold and say that you have superior knowledge of wow?
    Naah, but I'm not the one who makes statements without checking the facts

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just to clear things up before you continue yelling at each other:

There is a difference between "SP" and "PP". SP is "Spellpower" and PP is "Pseudopower". The latter one is used in the shadowpriest.com BiS lists, etc.

So Strykie you should probably apologize to everyone for your yells.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

THAT IS AN EXCELLENT STORY, SADLY THERE IS A SORT OF IMPORTANT FIGHT THAT GOES FOR 15 MINUTES.
    And im not entirely sure how my mana will fair over that duration without using dispersion because its a DPS loss.
    Losing .4 spellpower (for me) for regen that could prove the difference between going oom or not, gee, thats not a hard decision
    I hear during said fight there are 2 transistion pahses. I also hear you have to run to the edge of a platform during these "transition phases". One more thing I've heard is that while running to the edge might be a good time to use dispersion. Then again that could just be a rumour.

The SP bonus for blue sockets is 6 spellpower now btw.
    but agreed on the rest of the thread.

If the socket is yellow and the bonus is more then 2 sp, socket sp/haste
    If the socket is blue and the bonus is 6 sp or more socket sp/spirit

that said, even if the bonus is not 6sp or more, you still need 2 sp/spirit gems for the meta bonus, so look for the best bonus and use it, otherwise either use +23 spellpower or the yellow rule above

on sp.com pp has been normalized to be spellpower, so PP=SP

and i noticed you are using black magic, it is better in a perfect non moving world, but as soon as you need to move (which is pretty much every fight in IC), 63sp wins
    Last edited by Samurai; 2010-06-15 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    The SP bonus for blue sockets is 6 spellpower now btw.
    but agreed on the rest of the thread.

If the socket is yellow and the bonus is more then 2 sp, socket sp/haste
    If the socket is blue and the bonus is 6 sp or more socket sp/spirit

that said, even if the bonus is not 6sp or more, you still need 2 sp/spirit gems for the meta bonus, so look for the best bonus and use it, otherwise either use +23 spellpower or the yellow rule above

on sp.com pp has been normalized to be spellpower, so PP=SP

and i noticed you are using black magic, it is better in a perfect non moving world, but as soon as you need to move (which is pretty much every fight in IC), 63sp wins
    The difference between ruend and purified in a blue socket is 0.1pp, look above of why that is so insiginficant, and why most people suggest gemming for the socket bonus. Hell, frmercury simmed 2 sets, one that gemmed for socket bonuses and one that did not for blues with a socket bonus of +5 sp. The one gemming for socket bonuses actually simmed with a higher dps than the one that gemmed runed in blue sockets of bonuses of +5sp.