Lightbulb Scrubshaman needs your help!

Dear MMO-Champion community,

I play an elemental shaman. I suck. I can only put out maybe 7k DPS with 20% buff. Here is my gear: http://www.wowhead.com/profile=21464306

How do I un-suck myself? I use my CD when I don't have to move and I position myself to move as little as possible. Is the Abyssal Rune better than Nevermelting Crap? Should I put Black Magic on my garbage weapon? HELP ME MMO GODS!

I noticed you only have 10.8% hit; way off the cap, you'll need more hit until you reach the cap of 17%

Greetings, Scrubshaman.

No extra socket on your belt?
    You're missing 4p bonus, get the chest asap, or legs if you're afraid of missing hit (but legs aren't a tremendous piece, and you can still get the crafted ones, which are pretty fine).
    You're under the hit cap, get to 11% (14% if no balance drood / shadow priest) by switching some reckless ametrines to spell/hit ones (don't remember the name of the gem, duh).
    Don't put Black Magic. Just don't, stick on 63spell. Your weapon is not garbage, it's actually pretty fine.
    Abyssal Rune is better than the Nevermelting trinket, in my humble opinion.
    Try to grab more haste/hit instead of crit/hit items (necklace, cloak...). I know, it's easy to say so, but haste will really give you a greater dps on the long run. Really greater.
    Get the 264 totem asap after getting the 4 pieces bonus.
    Use CL in single target. You have a moderate value of haste, so as long as you don't have EM + Bloodlust active, which would put your CL cast time under 1s, just cast it when it's off cooldown.
    If you don't have it, get Quartz. Best addon for telling you when to spam your keyboard for casting a new LB or when to move for seeing your spell still cast away.
    Always track your Flame Shock duration, so you're a 100% sure that it'll be on when your Lava Burst is cast. No matter how much crit I have, I always land a non-crit Lava Burst when Flame Shock is not on the target (I hate statistics).
    Either cast or move. Elemental shaman are tesla turrets, we never stay still.

Do you have a WoL of one of your fights ?

Seriously? You don't count 3 from talent and 3 from shadow priest? And you give advice?

Ignore that guy. Yes abyss is better than the Nevermelting crap.
    You will feel a lot more comfortable after you get 4p bonus. Also if you don't have CoE debuff 7k doesn't look WAYY off (you should be able to do more). What rotation do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by ilialilov View Post
    Seriously? You don't count 3 from talent and 3 from shadow priest? And you give advice?
    I'm sorry? He has 283 hit rating, which means 10.79%, which is under the 11% hit cap (you get 3% by talents AND 3% by sp/moonkin) or 289 hit rating.

Anyway, in which conditions do you get 7k dps? 10-men raid?

Quote Originally Posted by ilialilov View Post

Ignore that guy. Yes abyss is better than the Nevermelting crap.
    You will feel a lot more comfortable after you get 4p bonus. Also if you don't have CoE debuff 7k doesn't look WAYY off (you should be able to do more). What rotation do you use?
    FS, LvB, LB (no CL). Should FS be up after 2nd LvB (when I am casting 'fillers')? Is it normal to get 70+% of damage done from 'Bolts?

Quote Originally Posted by Amana View Post
    Greetings, Scrubshaman.

Forgot to put that in the profile. It's got 23 sp there.

You're missing 4p bonus, get the chest asap, or legs if you're afraid of missing hit (but legs aren't a tremendous piece, and you can still get the crafted ones, which are pretty fine).
    I just got the head yesterday. I have 17 frost badges at the moment, so getting new pieces will take a while. There's no way I can afford the crafted legs. I just bought the boots.

You're under the hit cap, get to 11% (14% if no balance drood / shadow priest) by switching some reckless ametrines to spell/hit ones (don't remember the name of the gem, duh).
    All right, I'll switch a few gems out although I haven't seen a miss in ages.

Use CL in single target. You have a moderate value of haste, so as long as you don't have EM + Bloodlust active, which would put your CL cast time under 1s, just cast it when it's off cooldown.
    Are you sure about this? I tested CL on the Silvermoon dummy and it wrecked my DPS. I use CL when there's more than one target, but I don't see the point of it. It does less damage per cast time than LB, right? I sometimes put CL in if I can get an LvB out earlier, but that's a pretty rare occurrence.

If you don't have it, get Quartz. Best addon for telling you when to spam your keyboard for casting a new LB or when to move for seeing your spell still cast away.
    Always track your Flame Shock duration, so you're a 100% sure that it'll be on when your Lava Burst is cast. No matter how much crit I have, I always land a non-crit Lava Burst when Flame Shock is not on the target (I hate statistics).
    I have Quartz and NeedToKnow.

I'm sorry? He has 283 hit rating, which means 10.79%, which is under the 11% hit cap (you get 3% by talents AND 3% by sp/moonkin) or 289 hit rating.

Anyway, in which conditions do you get 7k dps? 10-men raid?
    25. I was up at 7,5 or so on Saurfang and Festergut...

I'll record one next time I do some raiding. Thanks for the help so far.

Using or not CL in single target is a non-ending debate. But that was just my opinion.
    Yes CL gives less damage in single target than LB, but it has a faster cast. And as long as you're not under the gcd-cap, CL gives a better damage/cast time output.
    It's great if you have to move and can afford to stop for 1,x second to cast it away, anyhow.

Greetings, Scrubshaman.

Don't put Black Magic. Just don't, stick on 63spell. Your weapon is not garbage, it's actually pretty fine.
    Abyssal Rune is better than the Nevermelting trinket, in my humble opinion.
    Try to grab more haste/hit instead of crit/hit items (necklace, cloak...). I know, it's easy to say so, but haste will really give you a greater dps on the long run. Really greater.
    Get the 264 totem asap after getting the 4 pieces bonus.
    Either cast or move. Elemental shaman are tesla turrets, we never stay still.

What this guy says is pretty much right on the money. 4 piece is your top priority for frost emblems. Leave CL out of your rotation when it's near 1 second (usually only during BL or EM untill you get a lot more haste)

Your gear isn't that bad, the only big problem is the belt with mp/5 and I think you're missing a eternal belt buckle in it. You're a little under the spell hit cap, if you're running mostly 10 mans you'll probably have to plan for more hit unless you run with a boomkin and shadow priest.

If you don't have the magic debuff (+13% magic damage from warlock/boomkin/unholy dk) this can be literally a 1k dps increase. The thing about the 4 set bonus is it changes your rotation, it allows for much more time for filler. It gives you much better consistent dps.

http://elitistjerks.com/f47/t82625-shaman_elemental/ This is pretty much a complete rundown of the general stuff you need to know. Use Rwar for any specific upgrades or sidegrades for gear. Don't be too discouraged, ele shamans just aren't very high on the charts in terms of casters.

The EJ link was one I wanted to mention, though someone beat me to it. I do want to stress however how awesome this spreadsheet is:

http://wowhats.wordpress.com/zap-spreadsheet/

I have been using it a while to try to min/max my dps. Just input your stats, follow the steps, and it will give you the dps you should be getting under ideal circumstances. I like the options for whether to use CL, the values for set bonuses and others.

The best advice generally with elemental is to try and get into 'turret mode'. What I mean by this is try and plant your feet and just turret. Mash your spells, get your spells off as quickly as possible and plan ahead. If you have 3 seconds left on Flame Shock and 2 seconds left on LvB, refresh FS a second before it comes off cooldown. I think the exception for this is when you have the 4 piece bonus, due to the extra ticks, but I'm not overly sure as I don't have the bonus myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenerena View Post
    The EJ link was one I wanted to mention, though someone beat me to it. I do want to stress however how awesome this spreadsheet is:

http://wowhats.wordpress.com/zap-spreadsheet/

I have been using it a while to try to min/max my dps. Just input your stats, follow the steps, and it will give you the dps you should be getting under ideal circumstances. I like the options for whether to use CL, the values for set bonuses and others.

The best advice generally with elemental is to try and get into 'turret mode'. What I mean by this is try and plant your feet and just turret. Mash your spells, get your spells off as quickly as possible and plan ahead. If you have 3 seconds left on Flame Shock and 2 seconds left on LvB, refresh FS a second before it comes off cooldown. I think the exception for this is when you have the 4 piece bonus, due to the extra ticks, but I'm not overly sure as I don't have the bonus myself.
    This works with the 4pc somewhat. If you can't get a LvB off before FS runs out, throw a FS back up right before casting LvB.

Chain lightning still serves a purpose at high haste levels: if you can fit in a Chain Lightning (but not a Lightning Bolt) before LvB comes off CD, you're effectively reducing the time LvB spends on CD which increases your dps.

For Scrub, your gear seems fine, switch out that trinket and re-enchant your boots with tuskarr's when you get the hit cap for more survivability. If you'd like to see how elemental plays at higher haste levels, I have a few videos of myself playing on youtube (shameless promotion, I know) http://www.youtube.com/user/idonttrustdoors. You can see how I wait for Muradin's to stack fully before blowing EM, and for DFO to stack fully before dropping my Fire Elemental. The fire elemental usage depends on your raid comp, but c'est la vie.

Hope we helped, Good luck scrub :3